Is Winning More Games Worth It, If We Miss The Playoffs ? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Winning More Games Worth It, If We Miss The Playoffs ?

Wins and no playoffs vs less wins higher draft pick.

• More wins and miss the playoffs

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • Less wins, Higher draft pick.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • I don't care as long as we beat the Patriots.

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
We've been mediocre for over a decade 8-8,7-9 type of seasons and it has gotten us nowhere, Talent trumps all, any fan would want the best talent possible. Nobody is talking about losing early on, but when your out of the playoff run what scenario u prefer, that was the question. I need an argument on why 8-8 is better than 6-10 long term.

Because I get to not drink in sadness for 2 extra games.

8-8, 6-10, 1-15... why can't we all come to together on the fact that the draft is a spin of the roulette wheel?

Since 2000, the Pats have had 2 picks in the top ten (we've had 5):

Daniel Graham
Vince Wilfork
Benjamin Watson
Mankins
Meriweather
Hightower
And more...

All in the 20s plus.

Either you can draft or you can't.

We've sucked at drafting high.

We've sucked at drafting in mid rounds.

We've sucked at bringing in talent around good 1st rounders (wata waist of Long, Tannehill).

There is so much more that goes into this thing other than a few slots.

Yes the higher the draft pick the better the odds, duh. A good front office can find talent regardless of the slot.

And also, a good front office also needs a little luck on that turn of the wheel.

Because I get to not drink in sadness for 2 extra games.

8-8, 6-10, 1-15... why can't we all come to together on the fact that the draft is a spin of the roulette wheel?

Since 2000, the Pats have had 2 picks in the top ten:

Daniel Graham
Vince Wilfork
Benjamin Watson
Mankins
Meriweather
Hightower
And more...

All in the 20s plus.

Either you can draft or you can't we've suck at draftin

So let's make it easier for the guys that suck at drafting. Right?

They're not gonna tank. Just not in the cards. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with hoping they get a higher draft slot because there is a 0.0% chance of this current team making any noise in the playoffs. Mediocre players get you mediocre results which get you more mediocre players because mediocre people are making the selections.

So let's make it easier for the guys that suck at drafting. Right?

They're not gonna tank. Just not in the cards. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with hoping they get a higher draft slot because there is a 0.0% chance of this current team making any noise in the playoffs. Mediocre players get you mediocre results which get you more mediocre players because mediocre people are making the selections.

Easier and we still might draft another Dion Jordan. It's a crapshoot.

IMO, if one hopes to or wants to or even actually does lose, one is by the very definition a loser.

I'm not personnaly calling you a loser. I'm saying that if one is of the frame of mind of wanting to lose or a game results in a loss, one is not a winner which automatically makes one a loser.

Again, if you think this way, it sounds like I'm saying, "You're a loser, bro." Like if it's a personal attack. Im not personally attacking you or any others who think this way.

I'm merely stating a fact. If you lose a game, what are you after that game? A loser. If you want to lose said game. What are you? A loser.

One shouldn't hope for or want tanking. One should want to win. Always.

Now, if you don't win. You can say, "Look at the brightside. We can get a higher pick."

Easier and we still might draft another Dion Jordan. It's a crapshoot.

IMO, if one hopes to or wants to or even actually does lose, one is by the very definition a loser.

I'm not personnaly calling you a loser. I'm saying that if one is of the frame of mind of wanting to lose or a game results in a loss, one is not a winner which automatically makes one a loser.

Again, if you think this way, it sounds like I'm saying, "You're a loser, bro." Like if it's a personal attack. Im not personally attacking you or any others who think this way.

I'm merely stating a fact. If you lose a game, what are you after that game? A loser. If you want to lose said game. What are you? A loser.

One shouldn't hope for or want tanking. One should want to win. Always.

Now, if you don't win. You can say, "Look at the brightside. We can get a higher pick."

In a perfect world, sure. But this ain't that world and in it is the Miami Dolphins who don't seem to know their ass from their elbow.

The draft is only a crapshoot for people who don't follow college football or know what they're watching. Dion Jordan is a perfect example. I was positive they were trading up for Johnson ... Jordan wasn't anywhere on my radar. Gotta know what you're looking at. NFL teams being able to spend so much time with these kids and still miss on character stuff is pretty baffling ... not even taking into account the actual talent.

I know you aren't calling me a loser. We good. :up:

To me it hinges on how we play rather than the record itself. Personally I would rather see us lose unless we really start playing at a higher level. Even if we snuck into the wild card to get stomped....ultimately because I know we are not a truly playoff-caliber team. It's fools bronze that will only hurt us in the long run...

I want the wins. Whilst I understand wanting a higher pick, you can easily miss on a high draft pick. Winning games is a habit which garners a winning mentality.

We have had high draft picks in the past and we have still been losers. Just win baby

This year’s draft is so deep at DT and DE I don’t think it matters much. That being said, I like victory Monday. Now if you start out horribly, say 1-6, in a draft year like 2020, I’m rooting for losing out. This year, screw it, I want stay in the hunt for the final wild card spot as long as possible.

There are so many good players available in the second round, why would where we pick in the first matter?

Here's the thing, what we want doesn't matter the team will try to win from here on out so since it will have no effect on the outcome of the games I'll be rooting for more wins. This doesn't mean, "I don't get it " (I LOVE the super SMART posters who are all about the higher pick). High draft picks are nice and all but can anyone give me a definitive example of a team that vastly improved because they constantly had high draft picks they didn't TRADE up to acquire? For some reason 2 teams that have never won crap in my lifetime Cleveland and Detroit are the first 2 that come to mind as to always having high picks. Folks will site the Rams but they traded up for Goff and Gurley was the 10th pick coming off a 6-10 season, not really a tank. Also, it took changing the people (moving away from Jeff fisher) and very aggressive trading and FA acquisitions more than draft picks to get them where they are. Look at the best team over the past 20 years (NE just to make sure we're in agreement) how many high draft picks have they had? How many times have they traded down to acquire more picks and been aggressive in trading and acquiring FA's they want? To me turning this thing around is about having the right people in place more than having high draft picks. You build a working system, identify the necessary roles and fill them accordingly. Have the right GM, HC and Coordinators in place and the draft will take care of itself.

Think if this, the best QB;s in the league were acquired via a 6th (Brady), Free agency (Brees) and the 25th overall pick (Rodgers). Some of them out there drafted very high (Rivers, Stafford, Luck) hasn't really amounted to **** for the teams they play for and the best young QB in the game (Mahomes) is another trade up to acquire. Even 3 our of the 4 shitty QB's (so far) drafted in 2018 were traded up for as only Baker was drafted in the natural position. It's about identifying what you want and doing what it takes to get it not about losing and taking what's there because you have a high pick. That's how you get Ponder, Russell, Dilfer, Shuler, Mirer, Tannehill (yes I said it) and so on and so forth,

I could die tomorrow, the last thing I care about is a draft pick.

Enjoy life while you have it and stop worrying about things outta your control.

This is perfect. Believe it or not there really are posters who think the rooting interests of Finheaven effects our draft position. We'll start seeing, "Thanks For the Meaningless Wins" threads soon like there were some finheavn posters on the field making plays for the Dolphins. It's actually very comical and it's probably coming soon. Get ready to laugh I guess.

there are busts(and all-pros) chosen from every slot in the draft. If high picks mean automatic success, the Browns would have multiple rings and the Patriots would have tumbled years ago

I'd love to know how that strategy plays out. Lose on purpose. So on offense we run up the middle every play during pass blocking and tell the QB to throw it to the other team? How exactly do you lose on purpose? In what world do you see professional athletes banning together to suck on purpose to lose. This is always the dumbest argument any person ever makes.

A) if your players know you're phoning in games then you're done in this league for good. Nobody will hire you and nobody will want to play for you

B) no group of NFL players are going to throw away any season for a draft pick

Losing games on purpose is weak and pathetic. No one or two players are going to automatically flip a franchise. GB has in my opinion the best QB in the game and even they can't overcome deficiencies. This is such a stupid mentality.

I'd love to know how that strategy plays out. Lose on purpose. So on offense we run up the middle every play during pass blocking and tell the QB to throw it to the other team? How exactly do you lose on purpose? In what world do you see professional athletes banning together to suck on purpose to lose. This is always the dumbest argument any person ever makes.

A) if your players know you're phoning in games then you're done in this league for good. Nobody will hire you and nobody will want to play for you

B) no group of NFL players are going to throw away any season for a draft pick

Losing games on purpose is weak and pathetic. No one or two players are going to automatically flip a franchise. GB has in my opinion the best QB in the game and even they can't overcome deficiencies. This is such a stupid mentality.

The thing is there would be nothing in it for impending FA's other than putting out bad tape possibly costing them money. Tanking is the DUMBEST argument fans can make, I agree with you. I guess if there was some agreement that every player and coach would have a job in 2019 (impossible) than it could work.

Back
Top Bottom