It seems a lot of people have forgotten.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It seems a lot of people have forgotten....

TFK

Active Roster
Reaction score
...how much of a playmaker Myles Gaskin was for us in 2020. I'm not saying he was Walter Payton or Barry Sanders, but he was definitely a big part of our offense two years ago. I just think the cancer that was Flores and his completely inept crew of offensive coaches wrecked whatever shot Gaskin had of being productive last year.

Look at his 2020 highlight reel and tell me he wouldn't be a good fit in McD's offense. And let's not pretend that the RB's we brought in this offseason are any better than they really are. If the best player truly gets the job this year, we could be seeing a lot more plays like these. I hope it happens.

I feel like, and RB is the position I probably understand the least, he is an indecisive runner. And a zone scheme is pick a lane and slash through it. It’s a one cut and run. He has decent speed but lacks BURST. So while he offers good pass blocking and can catch he isn’t a dynamic back in my opinion. And with what he does well they brought someone in who is equal or better…blocker, Sony Michel is a better blocker. Pass catcher, edmunds is equal at worst to him and offers more as a runner he has a hill to climb but maybe the competition rings out more in him. I actually hope competition on OFFENSE; which there seems to be a lack of in recent years, raises slot of games

I like Gaskin, especially as a pass catcher but he looks like he is 4th on the depth chart and would save the team 2.5 million in Cap space with virtually no dead cap.

He looks like a goner to me unless Mostert(or someone else) breaks down early in camp.

Gaskin is insurance for Edmonds and Ahmed is insurance for Mostert. If Edmonds picks up an injury or if Mostert can't go one or both of these guys have a chance to stick, specially with the new IR rules.

...how much of a playmaker Myles Gaskin was for us in 2020. I'm not saying he was Walter Payton or Barry Sanders, but he was definitely a big part of our offense two years ago. I just think the cancer that was Flores and his completely inept crew of offensive coaches wrecked whatever shot Gaskin had of being productive last year.

Look at his 2020 highlight reel and tell me he wouldn't be a good fit in McD's offense. And let's not pretend that the RB's we brought in this offseason are any better than they really are. If the best player truly gets the job this year, we could be seeing a lot more plays like these. I hope it happens.

I am sure he will be given a shot in camp to prove himself, and considering McDaniel made a name for himself with how the 9ers ran the ball, whatever decision McDaniel ends with, will be fine by me.

Yeah his 2020 was a lot better than 2021. I was confident he would continue that but really Flores had this offense looking like ****. Well, him, the two ocs and the garbage ol coach. But would love to see him back to 2020 status. I agree, we picked up some rbs but they are not A quality. Maybe Michel since he has superbowl experience...

I could be wrong, but I thought our running game was better and the offense seemed to be more in sync when Duke Johnson was in the game. We didn't seem to do much when Gaskins or Ahmed was there. Now, please don't misunderstand me. If we get a guy who can play FB at a high level, then that might be what Gaskins and Ahmed need to get things cranking.

I think Gaskin will likely make the roster. I doubt he will be the primary RB like he was for a time over the past two years but I believe, Edmonds, Mostert, Michel, and Gaskin will end up be the 4 RB’s on the final 53 with Ingold as the FB.

I think White will likely end up on the practice squad and Doaks will have to show more than last year or he will be cut and they won’t sign him to the practice squad.

I think Gaskin has traits that can be used in an offense. He's a decent 1B if you have a strong 1A.

That said, I wouldn't call him a playmaker. To me a playmaker is someone who makes a play happen when it shouldn't by all reasonable expectations. Gaskin is a take what he's given back when carrying the ball, he's not going to make something out of nothing 9r more out of less consistently.

I like Gaskin, especially as a pass catcher but he looks like he is 4th on the depth chart and would save the team 2.5 million in Cap space with virtually no dead cap.

He looks like a goner to me unless Mostert(or someone else) breaks down early in camp.
People keep saying this, but it isn't true.

We'd save 1.5M on the cap, not 2.5.

The 52 man on the salary cap structure would become the 51st man, and begin to count (whereas he does not count currently).

Lynn Bowden, at $1,038,128, is currently in the 52 hole.

I could be wrong, but I thought our running game was better and the offense seemed to be more in sync when Duke Johnson was in the game. We didn't seem to do much when Gaskins or Ahmed was there. Now, please don't misunderstand me. If we get a guy who can play FB at a high level, then that might be what Gaskins and Ahmed need to get things cranking.
It was definitely better with Duke. That’s not b/c Duke is great or anything, it’s b/c we had a line that was decent at making initial contact but struggled to sustain blocks. Duke was more decisive and had better burst.

The knock on Gaskin coming out was a lack of decisiveness and burst. He’s a hard worker, great team mate, good as a receiving back and can be good in pass pro, but he has some weakness that are a bad fit for a zone system.

Back
Top Bottom