It seems a lot of people have forgotten.... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It seems a lot of people have forgotten....

I wish someone would show me what they see in Edmunds. He is a bigger straight up runner without quickness and he doesn't break tackles. Gaskins is known for never breaking tackles (one every 24 carries) but Chase is right there with him at one every 23 carries. As a reference point the rookie that so many of us were banging the drum for Javonte Williams broke a tackle every 6 carries. Go watch the highlights from Gaskins then Edmunds and notice what they are running through. The threat of Murray running around the end creates huge lanes up the middle. Chase is often untouched for several yards and the holes are huge. Miles is squeezing through cracks. Chase does seem to fall forward more but he does not have great vision. If they were on the same team behind the same line like they will be this year, I like Miles chances.
I am warming up more and more to MM and trust his knowledge over mine, but I personally just don't see it. Miles is clearly much quicker, with better vision, and although Chase is bigger if he isn't breaking more tackles what's the point.

I wish someone would show me what they see in Edmunds. He is a bigger straight up runner without quickness and he doesn't break tackles. Gaskins is known for never breaking tackles (one every 24 carries) but Chase is right there with him at one every 23 carries. As a reference point the rookie that so many of us were banging the drum for Javonte Williams broke a tackle every 6 carries. Go watch the highlights from Gaskins then Edmunds and notice what they are running through. The threat of Murray running around the end creates huge lanes up the middle. Chase is often untouched for several yards and the holes are huge. Miles is squeezing through cracks. Chase does seem to fall forward more but he does not have great vision. If they were on the same team behind the same line like they will be this year, I like Miles chances.
I am warming up more and more to MM and trust his knowledge over mine, but I personally just don't see it. Miles is clearly much quicker, with better vision, and although Chase is bigger if he isn't breaking more tackles what's the point.
While you certainly are entitled to your opinion. MCDaniel saw Edmonds twice a year for 4 years while Edmonds was with the Cardinals. He also saw Mostert who played with the 49ers. Michel played with the Rams last year. So MCDaniel had a chance to watch him play 3 times last year.

I assume MCDaniel and the offensive coaches watched a lot of film on Gaskin in his time with the Dolphins and they determined that they needed to bring in more running backs.

Gaskin will have the opportunity to show he is better than the three other RB’s now listed above him on the depth chart but right now MCDaniel and the offensive coaches don’t seem to be as high on Gaskin as you are.

Nothing against you pointing out why you like Gaskin more than Edmonds but I trust that the Dolphin coaches will play the RB they feel who is best suited for their system and right now I doubt that will be Gaskin. Yet if it is, he will have done enough to prove he deserves to be playing over the other top three RB’s now in front of him.

While you certainly are entitled to your opinion. MCDaniel saw Edmonds twice a year for 4 years while Edmonds was with the Cardinals. He also saw Mostert who played with the 49ers. Michel played with the Rams last year. So MCDaniel had a chance to watch him play 3 times last year.

I assume MCDaniel and the offensive coaches watched a lot of film on Gaskin in his time with the Dolphins and they determined that they needed to bring in more running backs.

Gaskin will have the opportunity to show he is better than the three other RB’s now listed above him on the depth chart but right now MCDaniel and the offensive coaches don’t seem to be as high on Gaskin as you are.

Nothing against you pointing out why you like Gaskin more than Edmonds but I trust that the Dolphin coaches will play the RB they feel who is best suited for their system and right now I doubt that will be Gaskin. Yet if it is, he will have done enough to prove he deserves to be playing over the other top three RB’s now in front of him.
May have missed the point of my post. My post was not nearly as much about Gaskins as it was Edmunds. Gaskins is imo an average RB2 at best, my point was I don't see Chase as being any better than that.

He was a playmaker because that’s all we had. He’s far outplayed his draft position of a 7th rounder but all three backs we signed are just superior to Gaskin. Barring injury or if mostert can’t come back from last years injury, him like 98% sure gaskin is gone.

Easy answer: Quickness. Decisiveness. Vision.

This breaking tackles thing might be one of the worst arguments that fans make about football. Yes, bigger backs break more tackles. They also take more contact, and they take it earlier in the play than the speedy guys. They break fewer long plays. They are banged up more often.

The days of the big lead back are largely over. Modern football is about scheming plays and getting your players into space.... and Edmonds is perfect for that-- and we didn't have to waste a draft pick on him.

May have missed the point of my post. My post was not nearly as much about Gaskins as it was Edmunds. Gaskins is imo an average RB2 at best, my point was I don't see Chase as being any better than that.
I understood your post. I just think MCDaniel had the opportunity to see Edmonds play for 4 years with the Cardinals and he obviously sees something in him you don’t see.

My view is that they will draft a RB in the first 2 rounds of the 2023 draft and he will be their main RB after next season. I think the top three RB’s on the roster will all be utilized in the running game but they signed Edmonds to the largest contract, so I believe they feel at this time he will be the starter and the primary RB.

I am certainly not anti-Gaskin but the fact is, Johnson was picked up off the street last year. He was on the practice squad before coming in and winning the starting job over Gaskin and the rest of the RB’s on the roster.

Personally I wanted them to resign Johnson but they decided to go in a different direction at the position. So I will just wait to see how things work out at running back once the season starts.

Not really, you'd just end up with corruption by different classes. Every country has issues and in every country a select group of people make decisions. All that taking that group down does is replace the corrupt with a new class of the corrupt.

Tldr: Humans of all races, religions and country of origin have a tendency towards oppression and tyranny.
So many tomes (big books) have been written about humanity and you have just outperformed them all with one paragraph of two sentences.

CONGRADULATIONS

This is the kind of post that shows up now and again on Fin Heaven that gives me hoop for our posters, our team, and now, humanity - assuming we use this newfound knowledge wisely.

So many tomes (big books) have been written about humanity and you have just outperformed them all with one paragraph of two sentences.

CONGRADULATIONS

This is the kind of post that shows up now and again on Fin Heaven that gives me hoop for our posters, our team, and now, humanity - assuming we use this newfound knowledge wisely.
You spel so guud!

Limited 3rd down back is what those highlights show me.

You spel so guud!

Looks like "low German" to me - LOL
How about this:

"Good butter
and good cheese
is good English
and good Fris(ian)"

As I recall, Frisian and German and Anglo-Saxon are the languages from which English was derived.

Those practice games can't get here too soon for me - LOL

I agree with you that Edmonds is not a tackle breaker. It's why I don't agree with those who assume he'll be a clear #1 back (Mostly based on the salary I'm guessing). I suspect that the vision for our backfield is that the top three backs will all get 120-140 carries. Injuries can obviously affect that, but I think that's the hope.

However, I also see Edmonds as a clear upgrade over Gaskins. It's all about his suddenness and explosiveness. He has more explosive runs b/c of it. IMO that's a much bigger factor than the threat of Murray running. I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but it's also why I thought Duke looked so much better than Gaskin behind the same line. The difference between 4.6 YPC and 3.5 YPC is significant. Duke's better YPC was primarily about his far better suddenness and decisiveness. I expect we'll see more of the same from Edmonds, but with more home run potential.

He is a microcosm of this team the last few years. A mediocre RB on a .500 team.

I agree with you that Edmonds is not a tackle breaker. It's why I don't agree with those who assume he'll be a clear #1 back (Mostly based on the salary I'm guessing). I suspect that the vision for our backfield is that the top three backs will all get 120-140 carries. Injuries can obviously affect that, but I think that's the hope.

However, I also see Edmonds as a clear upgrade over Gaskins. It's all about his suddenness and explosiveness. He has more explosive runs b/c of it. IMO that's a much bigger factor than the threat of Murray running. I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but it's also why I thought Duke looked so much better than Gaskin behind the same line. The difference between 4.6 YPC and 3.5 YPC is significant. Duke's better YPC was primarily about his far better suddenness and decisiveness. I expect we'll see more of the same from Edmonds, but with more home run potential.
I think it’s been mentioned at least a few other times in this thread, but Gaskins biggest issue (to me) was his lack of burst and acceleration. I said it so many times last season but because his initial acceleration was so bad, the holes that the OL actually did break open (2x a game max) would close before he got there.

Now your point is more about Edmonds… and everything I’ve read (mostly here) has him as very fast and explosive - two things that are Gaskins weaknesses. So you were looking for big differences, and I would start there. Also their running styles are different… Edmonds runs more like Ahmad - cut and go… rather than Gaskins, who stutters around with half steps, like he studies footage of Leveon Bell every day without the ability to do anything with it.

I consider them to be very different players.

My view is that they will draft a RB in the first 2 rounds of the 2023 draft and he will be their main RB after next season.
I have to ask. What leads you to believe that? Or is it just your preference, rather than your view of what will happen?

I really do not see us spending a rd1, and likely not a rd2 (maybe if it is a late pick).

Back
Top Bottom