It seems a lot of people have forgotten.... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It seems a lot of people have forgotten....

Seems to me like they like Edmmons decisiveness and quickness to the hole. Once there he a bigger back for DB to have to deal with. What's not to like here?
The new coach liked him enough to make him one of the first FA's we signed.

Easy answer: Quickness. Decisiveness. Vision.

This breaking tackles thing might be one of the worst arguments that fans make about football. Yes, bigger backs break more tackles. They also take more contact, and they take it earlier in the play than the speedy guys. They break fewer long plays. They are banged up more often.

The days of the big lead back are largely over. Modern football is about scheming plays and getting your players into space.... and Edmonds is perfect for that-- and we didn't have to waste a draft pick on him.

That was the very video I was using to make my point. Watch that one then the Gaskin vid back to back. Chase may be more decisive but he isn't on the same planet with quickness or vision. Miles had to find a crack in a brick wall at full speed, Chase had one hole and you could drive a truck through it, doesn't take vision for that. Chase seems to have a bit more top end speed but Miles has tons more side to side quickness and can get to his top speed faster. Maybe Chase is better suited for running behind a FB or maybe there are other reasons. One thing I do know Chase is better at is blocking. I have seen some on here say Miles is a good blocker, and I just don't see that. It is one of his weaknesses. He was better than other blockers on our roster last year but not by much and our roster as a group was one of the worst in the league at pass blocking from the RB group.
It will be fun to watch unfold during camp, I'm pulling for all of them. Wish they all could make it, but I won't be at all surprised if Miles sticks. The truth of the matter is there is a good chance injuries will have the final say. I think Miles is under rated and brings a lot to the room that the casual fan doesn't see. I guess time will tell.

That was the very video I was using to make my point. Watch that one then the Gaskin vid back to back. Chase may be more decisive but he isn't on the same planet with quickness or vision. Miles had to find a crack in a brick wall at full speed, Chase had one hole and you could drive a truck through it, doesn't take vision for that. Chase seems to have a bit more top end speed but Miles has tons more side to side quickness and can get to his top speed faster. Maybe Chase is better suited for running behind a FB or maybe there are other reasons. One thing I do know Chase is better at is blocking. I have seen some on here say Miles is a good blocker, and I just don't see that. It is one of his weaknesses. He was better than other blockers on our roster last year but not by much and our roster as a group was one of the worst in the league at pass blocking from the RB group.
It will be fun to watch unfold during camp, I'm pulling for all of them. Wish they all could make it, but I won't be at all surprised if Miles sticks. The truth of the matter is there is a good chance injuries will have the final say. I think Miles is under rated and brings a lot to the room that the casual fan doesn't see. I guess time will tell.
I’ll say Miles is twitchy but he has no burst or explosion at all. As a runner, there is nothing dynamic about his game. I felt Salvon Ahmed had much more burst and explosion to his running style than Gaskin did.

Gaskin is a good player to have fill out the back end of your roster - 3rd or 4th on the depth chart with 5 snaps or less a game. Anything more is asking too much of the player.

I’ll say Miles is twitchy but he has no burst or explosion at all. As a runner, there is nothing dynamic about his game. I felt Salvon Ahmed had much more burst and explosion to his running style than Gaskin did.

Gaskin is a good player to have fill out the back end of your roster - 3rd or 4th on the depth chart with 5 snaps or less a game. Anything more is asking too much of the player.
Agree completely... Ahmed has more burst, but just plays really small.

At this point, I believe the only three RBs who are safe are Ingold, Edmonds, and Michel-- each are best at what they are here to do, FB, 1A back, and big back. After that, it gets murky very quickly.

Mostert is no lock: he's 30 and never healthy. Ahmed is a very poor man's Edmonds, and who knows with the PS guys.

Gaskin is a safe, if unspectacular keep. I think he's got a shot, but only if the others fail.

There was an article after the draft where the Senior Bowl Director talks about some of Miami's picks. He mentions that several teams had a 4th round grade on White, but then White got injured during the week of practice at the Senior Bowl. He says it was one of the reasons he went undrafted. If White had not been injured and got a chance to impress, maybe Miami takes him in the 4th and I suspect that many of the same people here writing him off would be penciling him in for a roster spot.

I wish someone would show me what they see in Edmunds. He is a bigger straight up runner without quickness and he doesn't break tackles. Gaskins is known for never breaking tackles (one every 24 carries) but Chase is right there with him at one every 23 carries. As a reference point the rookie that so many of us were banging the drum for Javonte Williams broke a tackle every 6 carries. Go watch the highlights from Gaskins then Edmunds and notice what they are running through. The threat of Murray running around the end creates huge lanes up the middle. Chase is often untouched for several yards and the holes are huge. Miles is squeezing through cracks. Chase does seem to fall forward more but he does not have great vision. If they were on the same team behind the same line like they will be this year, I like Miles chances.
I am warming up more and more to MM and trust his knowledge over mine, but I personally just don't see it. Miles is clearly much quicker, with better vision, and although Chase is bigger if he isn't breaking more tackles what's the point.
I agree with you here, don’t see much difference in players..

lack of breakaway speed is evident, both have good hands..

Mostert is the best of the group talent wise but he’s not gonna be at his apex level starting the season..

...how much of a playmaker Myles Gaskin was for us in 2020. I'm not saying he was Walter Payton or Barry Sanders, but he was definitely a big part of our offense two years ago. I just think the cancer that was Flores and his completely inept crew of offensive coaches wrecked whatever shot Gaskin had of being productive last year.

Look at his 2020 highlight reel and tell me he wouldn't be a good fit in McD's offense. And let's not pretend that the RB's we brought in this offseason are any better than they really are. If the best player truly gets the job this year, we could be seeing a lot more plays like these. I hope it happens.

He should change his name to Mediocre Gaskin.

...how much of a playmaker Myles Gaskin was for us in 2020. I'm not saying he was Walter Payton or Barry Sanders, but he was definitely a big part of our offense two years ago. I just think the cancer that was Flores and his completely inept crew of offensive coaches wrecked whatever shot Gaskin had of being productive last year.

Look at his 2020 highlight reel and tell me he wouldn't be a good fit in McD's offense. And let's not pretend that the RB's we brought in this offseason are any better than they really are. If the best player truly gets the job this year, we could be seeing a lot more plays like these. I hope it happens.

Ryan Leaf had a highlight reel. Gaskin is only good when used in passing game.

Back
Top Bottom