It was a gimmick defense!!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It was a gimmick defense!!!!

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
I keep saying the same thing in a number of different posts so I figured I'd start a thread about it.....

Did anyone but me actually count the Giants that lined up on the interior line of scrimmage and rushed in?

I didn't count them on every play but the plays that I did I counted no less than 5 giants rushing in. On some plays I counted 6 giants rushing in.

You are suppose to pass against that Defense. Slant, Screen, or Post-you are suppose to pass the ball in under 3 seconds against that defense. It's hard as hell to run against as the linemen and blitz have a single gap responsibilty.

You cannot rely on "no pressure" on the QB against the gimmick we saw yesterday because the matchup favors the blitzing defense.

The offensive line practices against a standard four man rush. It's the standard rush. We do it on defense. Hell, everyone does it on defense.

When 5 rush in the back (Williams) must remain in and pick up the blitz. IT'S A BLITZ !!!

On any blitz, matchups dictate that the wide receivers should be man on man or at least facing a soft zone. The wide receivers are supposed to be open based on where the 5th man came from. The QB is suppose to recoqnize the "man" coverage and throw to the "hot route" or open receiver.

When 6 rush in continually (and I saw it) we should have had at least one big play develope out of the "hot route".

How in the hell can you blame the line for yesterday's performance? They faced blitzes all day long and kept Jay off his back. On one sack, Jay held the ball for over 3 seconds facing a five man rush and the dumbazz in the booth called it a coverage sack.

Who is to blame here? How can you place it on the line?

Not just

a gimmick defense. The truth is coming out the day after apparently.

Not only did they sell out for the run, their interior D-lineman were holding all the time, and blatantly, according to the papers and the sports shows last night. The officials finally called some defensive holding on the interior late in the game. Other teams won't (hopefully) be allowed to pull that crap.

So you're saying the blame lies on the WRs not getting open or Jay not finding them.

I don't think

it's necessary to blame any position on the Dolphins. Just enjoy the win. The Giants sold out ( and possibly broke the rules consistently ), and still lost. Huge win.

Originally posted by dolfan4good
So you're saying the blame lies on the WRs not getting open or Jay not finding them.

On the play that the "bozo" in the booth called a coverage sack I think the ball was suppose to Chambers on the sideline. The safety was still inside the hash mark and Chambers had his man beat by two yards down the sideline. We only got a two second look at it from overhead on the replay but that's what it looked like to me. Then again, I'm just an armchair QB.

I don't know who to blame on all the plays. But I know on that sack the ball should have been released prior to the sack. Jay saw the defense line up. He knows his offensive line. Don't attempt to hold the ball longer than 3.5 in the pocket on a five or six man rush.

Judging by the past performances of the passing games' contributors-blame could probably be shared.

You got access to the coach film? :lol:

BTW

48206379709-1.jpg

That's Michael Barrow on his back (Blitz).

Strahan (92) and Holmes (90) were credited with the only two sacks in this game.

The guy underneath looks like 58 too. He also looks like a linebacker in size. Can anyone decipher this?

Maybe we should e-mail Jaworski on that ESPN show and see if he can decipher who's not doing their job.. the WR's or Jay.

What the hell would Jaws know, he said that Seau has nothing left in the tank...?
Oh Yea Jaws...?
What do you call 11 solos and 2 assists?

Last edited by a moderator:
That was live.... Jaws is actually good with film..

You see, you can rewind tape over and over. :D

look, the giants D was at home. They play great run defense. they play better at home than on the road, kind of like us. they cheat too. they pull offensive linemen to the ground and they was lots of holding on our guys on defense as well. As someone pointed out on another thread, the giants sold out to get ricky. Obviously, an experienced Norv turner saw that. that is why JF was playing to not have an INT. Once our defense was playing the way it was, it was just a matter of time. Its tough to be patient during games like these, but it is required.

2 weeks ago, jay threw an Int that could have cost us big. The idea is for jay not to throw an INT period. Even if it means bad stats! Can Jay do better? yes yes yes. I think he knows that. But the only stats i care about in the end is:

1. Points scored
2. turnovers
3. Great defense
4. control the clock

Originally posted by ZOD
That was live.... Jaws is actually good with film..

You see, you can rewind tape over and over. :D

Maybe Jaws should be SMART ENOUGH not to judge the state of a players ability by ONE play in the preseason... :goof:

My point is... what happens when other teams play the same style of defense to stop Ricky and are succesful. You can bet you life that when other teams see what the Giants D was able to do to stop him they will try to copy it. What does this offense have to do to take advantage of their scheme and specifically what part of the offense is lacking? Why can't we change and make the quick outs and slant throws? Is it the WR not getting space or Jay not finding him?

There has to be an answer and a solution to keep other teams from stacking up and stopping Ricky.

Originally posted by dolfan4good
My point is... what happens when other teams play the same style of defense to stop Ricky and are succesful. You can bet you life that when other teams see what the Giants D was able to do to stop him they will try to copy it. What does this offense have to do to take advantage of their scheme and specifically what part of the offense is lacking? Why can't we change and make the quick outs and slant throws? Is it the WR not getting space or Jay not finding him?

There has to be an answer and a solution to keep other teams from stacking up and stopping Ricky.

Ok then, let other teams do the same thing and we will beat them by at least 10 points as well. This games prove that the Dolphins CAN win even if the oppenent DOES contain Ricky AND Fielder has a bad day...

If anyone wants to repeat what the Giants line did they will have to hope the officials are as blind as the ones in the Giants game, because if what they say in the papers is true, them Giants was cheatin they arses off to mess up Miami's blocking schemes.

I'm sure the Dolphins will send MANY plays to officials for review and they will be sure to watch for that kind of crap in the future... At least I hope thats what happens.

D4Good makes a very good point. Now Jax is going to look at the film and say hey we can do that too and limit them to passing the ball. This time I hope the Fins use more safety valve plays to keep the opposing D honest, at the very least.

Actually 4good....

What you saw yesterday was the same aggressive 8 in the box in your face defense that New England ran in the final game last year.

That's what is so scary about the whole thing.

Sure we won the game. Sure we got all year to "gel".

But the result yesterday could have been just as disastrous as those we saw in December had the ball bounced the Giants way (not to mention if their DB could catch :).

And one other thing missing from yesterday.

There was no Fletcher on the field for Collins to pick on :mdfin: .

Originally posted by 13isgr81

Ok then, let other teams do the same thing and we will beat them by at least 10 points as well. This games prove that the Dolphins CAN win even if the oppenent DOES contain Ricky AND Fielder has a bad day...

Okay......

But I hope you were not one of the fans screaming for Wannestadts and Turner's head for not giving the ball to Ricky out of the endzone in December of 2002.

Because when teams do what the Giants did and are successful.........

We lose....

Back
Top Bottom