Its a bad year to need a WR or DE in free agency.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Its a bad year to need a WR or DE in free agency....

The Ghost

Stamos
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Thankfully we don't.

However we have a DE and WR with a combined $22M in guaranteed salary that i'd love to make someone else's problem.

Emmanuel Ogbah's $15M salary is guaranteed this year as is Cedrick Wilson's $7M salary.

EO was overpaid out of desperation but he can certainly help a bad defense improve, like he did for us. Solid all-around DE with a knack for knocking down passes at the LOS. In a perfect world a defensive needy team like Chicago or Houston (there's a strong chance Will Anderson doesn't end up on either of these teams) steps up with an offer of (anything at all) and we can unload that salary.

The top FA options for Chicago and Houston are:

Robert Quinn - Bears re-union? No
Brandon Graham - A cash grab post Super Bowl/Pre Retirement? Maybe but both teams shouldn't have interest.
Yannick Ngakoue - Remember him?
Jadeovon Clowney - Texans re-union? No. A bad team wasting money on him? Been done.

That said, its doubtful anyone would give us anything for the honor of paying this Ogbah $15M for one season (although Chris Grier thought it was a good move so maybe someone else might?) before most likely cutting him.

Basically everything I said about Ogbah applies to Cedrick Wilson's situation, only for about half the cap hit. Both servicable players who I don't mind being on the roster. Certainly harder to find better depth than Emmanuel Ogbah but something has to give here for us to improve some weaknesses.

Jakobi Meyers, Nelgon Agholor and JuJu Smith-Schuster headline this years amazing class of FA WR's.

These are our current picks over the next two years.....

2024 picks:
1st
2nd
5th
6th
7th

Using the Bears as an example, they have:

I'd swap 51 and 84 for 53 and 103, as well as give them a 2024 5th for 6th swap.

Near inconsequential value for us to give up but a little something for them to feel better about gaining draft capitol and a servicable DE.

Texans, Giants, Falcons could have an interest in making a deal for Cedrick Wilson, as well as a reunion with Dak and the Cowboys, although they'd have to clean up their cap situation first.

In a perfect world we'd take table scraps for both but its more likely we'd have to give up table scraps (or a bit more) to unload them so I am just wondering if I am the only one thinking about how to create $22M in much needed cap space by possibly doing something as simple as picking 103 instead of 84 and letting the Bears pick two picks earlier in the second round. The DL needy Seahawks would be picking between us, at 52, for reference. Who knows, maybe the Seahawks catch wind and offer to just swap 52 for 51 for Ogbah.

In closing I'll add, I'd be open to paying a portion of both players salaries as well if it then means we'd be on the plus side of the compensation package. There should be a good situation for both players to find themselves with in 2023 other than the Miami Dolphins, however if both players are on the roster come 2023, I'll root hard for them. They provide something, unlike a guy like Jerome Baker.

From a sheer playing time standpoint as well, both players should want to be somewhere else, so if they can help facilitate something, we can open the door to filling holes in FA ourselves.

Last edited:
Don’t forget to add a complimentary third for Gesicki in 2024! All we need to do is scoop up a fourth and we’ve got a full complement.

I feel differently about Ogbah than most on here. I actually think he’s going to be a very good fit in Fangio’s defense and play a ton of snaps. He’s clearly not worth his cap hit, so if we can offload him for free, fine. But nobody is taking his contract, anyway. Got to make peace with him being overpaid by about $10 million this year. It happens.

I feel differently about Ogbah than most on here. I actually think he’s going to be a very good fit in Fangio’s defense and play a ton of snaps. He’s clearly not worth his cap hit, so if we can offload him for free, fine. But nobody is taking his contract, anyway. Got to make peace with him being overpaid by about $10 million this year. It happens.
Agree 100%.

Ogbah had an injury plagued, bad year. His previous 4 years were better than Chubb…

If Ogbah comes back to form, he’ll be a solid DE and Chubb is likely to miss time with injuries that had been his MO since his rookie campaign.

Agree 100%.

Ogbah had an injury plagued, bad year. His previous 4 years were better than Chubb…

If Ogbah comes back to form, he’ll be a solid DE and Chubb is likely to miss time with injuries that had been his MO since his rookie campaign.
Really better than Chubb? Would be interested to see that comparison in some statistics if you have em handy.

Chubb is the better talent but availability factors into that. Dolphins fans pushing to trade Ogbah’s $10M contract after 1 injury year in 2022 better buck with Chubb. He had an amazing rookie year in 2018 but their next 4 years of production are below for comparison which is why Chubb was available for trade.

My argument is not saying it’s one or other player but it’s prudent to keep both DEs, especially while Phillips is on a cheap rookie contract.

Ogbah 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

GP 52 (avg 80% of games)
TACKLES 126
SOLO 81
AST 45
SACK 24.5
FF 5

Chubb 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

GP 33 (avg 50% of games)
TACKLES 97
SOLO 56
AST 41
SACK 11.0
FF 3

I just remember Ogbah being in J Allen's pocket the whole day the first time we played them this year. No sacks but constant pressure, the only one who did. You have to pay somebody...

I could see trading Ogbah away for freeing up cap space and it's not a bad idea. I'm of the belief he could have a big impact on this D coming back healthy next season though. He's a disrupter for sure when playing at 100%.

Well we should have kept our 1st round pick and Ogbah. I think Grier thought we had a chance to go far in the playoffs and we needed another DE to take us there. He wasnt wrong, but it was short sighted. Now we simply have too many DE/OLB's taking up too much cap space...

Don’t forget to add a complimentary third for Gesicki in 2024! All we need to do is scoop up a fourth and we’ve got a full complement.
It would be great to get a third for Gesicki, but I’m afraid with getting a LB, or some OL help we will get next to nothing.

Fans sour on players so quickly. Last offseason no one wanted to touch Saquan Barkley and the Giants were reportedly shopping him with no real takers.

Now Saquan is coveted by many teams and is due for a nice contract. Give Ogbah a break and let’s see what he does with Fangio.

If he sucks then we move on.

Back
Top Bottom