Its a bad year to need a WR or DE in free agency.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Its a bad year to need a WR or DE in free agency....

Ogbah returns to form and gets 9 sacks, combined with his usual run disruption and his passes defended (for real, he swats 4+ balls a season) hes worth 15mm
Yeah, I think many ppl are about 4-6 years behind the current NFL pay scale. For example, @Marino2.0 just had a post saying IO was overpaid by 10m. That would make him a 5m dollar player. You don't get much for 5m these days. Hell, ST players often make that much. The DE position, for an every down player, you can expect to pay 10 million + for MEH,

How do you suggest we do that with Ogbah?

You didn't read my OP huh? I made a mock offer to the Bears.

The whole point was to discuss what were willing to part with in order to clear cap space. While also understand we may have to still pay a portion of both players salaries to clear a bigger chunk.

You didn't read my OP huh? I made a mock offer to the Bears.

The whole point was to discuss what were willing to part with in order to clear cap space. While also understand we may have to still pay a portion of both players salaries to clear a bigger chunk.
I read it. I just don't agree that what you suggested was a viable/likely outcome. It would be beyond stupid to cut him outright as you ended up suggesting. He is a solid player. You can certainly make a case that he is a bit overpaid. I'm not going to argue that one way or the other.

IMO, all you do by jettisoning players like him (I feel the same about Baker) is create a hole that costs as much, or more, to fill with equal talent than you actually saved in cap $, even if it's a post 6/1 designation.

I notice many ppl put their personal opinions of individual players before what's really best/rational for the team overall.

Last edited:
I feel differently about Ogbah than most on here. I actually think he’s going to be a very good fit in Fangio’s defense and play a ton of snaps. He’s clearly not worth his cap hit, so if we can offload him for free, fine. But nobody is taking his contract, anyway. Got to make peace with him being overpaid by about $10 million this year. It happens.
No one is going to trade for Ogbah and they aren’t going cut him because of his $21 million dead cap hit.
Hopefully he will come back healthy and as you stated, if healthy he should be a good fit for a Fangio defense.

You really think someone is going to break the bank for Gesiki? That's the only way we get a 3rd.
Compensatory picks are based on the individual players previous average salary, pro bowl appearances and playing time.

Even though Gesicki made $10 million last season, his average salary his first four years in the league wasn’t that high since he was a second round pick. He hasn’t ever made the pro bowl and his playing time and production was greatly reduced in 2022.

While many posters seem to think the Dolphins will receive a third round supplemental pick if Gesicki signs with another team. Assuming the Dolphins don’t create enough cap space to sign any top tier free agents this off season, I think the Dolphins will only get a 4th or 5th round draft pick in 2024 for the loss of Gesicki.

Last edited:
Our lack of draft capitol Is so depressing. We went all in with this roster and were still so far away, it just sucks.

Thankfully we don't.

However we have a DE and WR with a combined $22M in guaranteed salary that i'd love to make someone else's problem.

Emmanuel Ogbah's $15M salary is guaranteed this year as is Cedrick Wilson's $7M salary.

EO was overpaid out of desperation but he can certainly help a bad defense improve, like he did for us. Solid all-around DE with a knack for knocking down passes at the LOS. In a perfect world a defensive needy team like Chicago or Houston (there's a strong chance Will Anderson doesn't end up on either of these teams) steps up with an offer of (anything at all) and we can unload that salary.

The top FA options for Chicago and Houston are:

Robert Quinn - Bears re-union? No
Brandon Graham - A cash grab post Super Bowl/Pre Retirement? Maybe but both teams shouldn't have interest.
Yannick Ngakoue - Remember him?
Jadeovon Clowney - Texans re-union? No. A bad team wasting money on him? Been done.

That said, its doubtful anyone would give us anything for the honor of paying this Ogbah $15M for one season (although Chris Grier thought it was a good move so maybe someone else might?) before most likely cutting him.

Basically everything I said about Ogbah applies to Cedrick Wilson's situation, only for about half the cap hit. Both servicable players who I don't mind being on the roster. Certainly harder to find better depth than Emmanuel Ogbah but something has to give here for us to improve some weaknesses.

Jakobi Meyers, Nelgon Agholor and JuJu Smith-Schuster headline this years amazing class of FA WR's.

These are our current picks over the next two years.....

2024 picks:
1st
2nd
5th
6th
7th

Using the Bears as an example, they have:

I'd swap 51 and 84 for 53 and 103, as well as give them a 2024 5th for 6th swap.

Near inconsequential value for us to give up but a little something for them to feel better about gaining draft capitol and a servicable DE.

Texans, Giants, Falcons could have an interest in making a deal for Cedrick Wilson, as well as a reunion with Dak and the Cowboys, although they'd have to clean up their cap situation first.

In a perfect world we'd take table scraps for both but its more likely we'd have to give up table scraps (or a bit more) to unload them so I am just wondering if I am the only one thinking about how to create $22M in much needed cap space by possibly doing something as simple as picking 103 instead of 84 and letting the Bears pick two picks earlier in the second round. The DL needy Seahawks would be picking between us, at 52, for reference. Who knows, maybe the Seahawks catch wind and offer to just swap 52 for 51 for Ogbah.

In closing I'll add, I'd be open to paying a portion of both players salaries as well if it then means we'd be on the plus side of the compensation package. There should be a good situation for both players to find themselves with in 2023 other than the Miami Dolphins, however if both players are on the roster come 2023, I'll root hard for them. They provide something, unlike a guy like Jerome Baker.

From a sheer playing time standpoint as well, both players should want to be somewhere else, so if they can help facilitate something, we can open the door to filling holes in FA ourselves.
Just redo their contracts with big signing bonuses which can be smeared over the 5 years in exchange for lower salaries that impact the cap for 1.

I flat out disagree that a team won’t trade for Ogbah. He’s a good DE in a league that dictates solid DL = Super Bowl. Look at the last few years

I flat out disagree that a team won’t trade for Ogbah. He’s a good DE in a league that dictates solid DL = Super Bowl. Look at the last few years
He has a cap hit for any team that trades for him of over $15 million in 2023. He missed much of the past season with torn triceps and was suffering with a bad back prior to that season ending injury.

He will turn 30 before the season begins. If not for the injuries and his high salary, I agree some team might trade for him. Yet coming off his injuries and his $15 million salary, I don’t see any team trading for him.

Any chance the Ravens will trade straight up Roquan Smith for Ogbah?

We cab throw in a 6th to make it fair and even?

In all seriousness, an Ogbah trade is just a salary dump.

So we'd need a competitor that missed out on a DE or suffers an injury in camp

So like Ogbah to say Minny for a 7th. I don't know the roster. Maybe they don't need a DE, but something like that.

Maybe even the Bengals

It will be tough, but some team will be left out in the dark.

The only channel for a trade I see is a team '2-3 pieces away' wanting to trade one of their over 30 players who has a large contract and is in decline or injury prone.

Back
Top Bottom