Its a bad year to need a WR or DE in free agency.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Its a bad year to need a WR or DE in free agency....

I read it. I just don't agree that was you suggested was a viable/likely outcome. It would be beyond stupid to cut him outright as you ended up suggesting. He is a solid player. You can certainly make a case that he is a bit overpaid. I'm not going to argue that one way or the other.

IMO, all you do by jettisoning players like him (I feel the same about Baker) is create a hole that costs as much, or more, to fill with equal talent than you actually saved in cap $, even if it's a post 6/1 designation.

I notice many ppl put their personal opinions of individual players before what's really best/rational for the team overall.

Cutting him is not part of the equation, until next year.

The money just isn't allocated properly. Ogbah is much more servicable than Baker, for the record. Cutting Baker doesn't create a hole in the least bit that can't be met with similar production from any old JAG.

Trading Ogbah would allow you to sign a guy like Levonte David and re-sign Raheem Mostert without a second thought. As of now, those just aren't realities.

Your talking about almost 10% of our cap tied into Ogbah and Wilson, you can't think thats prudent for this team, right now.

Just redo their contracts with big signing bonuses which can be smeared over the 5 years in exchange for lower salaries that impact the cap for 1.

How is that a good thing? That's not a solution, especially if you actually plan on paying Tua. That's going to be Buffalo's modus operandi in the future. Not interested in that. Clear the decks the correct way.

See New Orleans.

How is that a good thing? That's not a solution, especially if you actually plan on paying Tua. That's going to be Buffalo's modus operandi in the future. Not interested in that. Clear the decks the correct way.

See New Orleans.
Play the cap game the way the cap game allows you play it or get played by the cap game.

See New Orleans.
They aren't paying Tua this year. That would be idiotic. See how he comes back. Tua needs to bet on himself this year if he wants big money.

You really think someone is going to break the bank for Gesiki? That's the only way we get a 3rd.

that and being quiet in free agency, which I don't expect Miami to be big spenders again, but at the same time I don't expect them to go Dallas and sign nobody.

Don’t forget to add a complimentary third for Gesicki in 2024! All we need to do is scoop up a fourth and we’ve got a full complement.
that'd depend on what type of contract gesicki gets and if we get a free agent ourselves then it'd cancel the comp pick......the right move would have been trading him while we had the chance instead of hoping we might get a comp pick

They aren't paying Tua this year. That would be idiotic. See how he comes back. Tua needs to bet on himself this year if he wants big money.

ya but all the more reason to not screw up your cap. All the teams that are paying QB's top tier money are dealing with financial problems, Buffalo is next.

Devanta Adams and Tyreek Hill were jettisoned because of those types of contracts their QB's inked.

Being ahead of the curve isn't a bad thing. Restructuring guys who aren't "pieces" only makes the future tougher. See Jerome Baker.

Play the cap game the way the cap game allows you play it or get played by the cap game.

Its a hard cap, the money doesn't disappear because you push into the future.

Go take a look at the Tampa Bay Buccaneears finances for the next two years and see if thats a blue print to follow.

Well we should have kept our 1st round pick and Ogbah. I think Grier thought we had a chance to go far in the playoffs and we needed another DE to take us there. He wasnt wrong, but it was short sighted. Now we simply have too many DE/OLB's taking up too much cap space...
Hindsight is 20/20 as they say but who knows. I like having too many good defense linemen. Lots to come in terms of moves in next 6 months I suspect. Despite some evidence to the contrary our leadership I believe have thought things through....right? Lol

Its a hard cap, the money doesn't disappear because you push into the future.

Go take a look at the Tampa Bay Buccaneears finances for the next two years and see if thats a blue print to follow.
Apologies. Was multitasking earlier. Didn't realize the two we were talking about was Ogbah and Wilson. Just lose those two.

Apologies. Was multitasking earlier. Didn't realize the two we were talking about was Ogbah and Wilson. Just lose those two.
I gave u a like for the paragraph. Don't wanna lose Oggy (not to be confused with Iggy). Unlike the o line where we have tons of first hand evidence that constant rotation is most likely ill-advised, I like my d-lineman fresh and mean, lots of scars and not showering before game day. Keep those dogs hungry so they can chase down Burrow and Allen before getting flagged for bad intentions..

I gave u a like for the paragraph. Don't wanna lose Oggy (not to be confused with Iggy). Unlike the o line where we have tons of first hand evidence that constant rotation is most likely ill-advised, I like my d-lineman fresh and mean, lots of scars and not showering before game day. Keep those dogs hungry so they can chase down Burrow and Allen before getting flagged for bad intentions..

We get flagged for good intentions, might as well have bad intentions. I would've lost my cool in the presser after that game, letting Josh Allen know what's going to happen next time that situation arises. If your gonna flop, I'm going to clean your clock first and Matt Milano whenever I get a free shot at his dirty ass i'm going to introduce his helmet to the turf, hopefully whiplashing.

Elandon Roberts literally got a penalty for trying to keep Josh Allen from wiping out at the end of the regular season rematch.

Thankfully we don't.

However we have a DE and WR with a combined $22M in guaranteed salary that i'd love to make someone else's problem.

Emmanuel Ogbah's $15M salary is guaranteed this year as is Cedrick Wilson's $7M salary.

EO was overpaid out of desperation but he can certainly help a bad defense improve, like he did for us. Solid all-around DE with a knack for knocking down passes at the LOS. In a perfect world a defensive needy team like Chicago or Houston (there's a strong chance Will Anderson doesn't end up on either of these teams) steps up with an offer of (anything at all) and we can unload that salary.

The top FA options for Chicago and Houston are:

Robert Quinn - Bears re-union? No
Brandon Graham - A cash grab post Super Bowl/Pre Retirement? Maybe but both teams shouldn't have interest.
Yannick Ngakoue - Remember him?
Jadeovon Clowney - Texans re-union? No. A bad team wasting money on him? Been done.

That said, its doubtful anyone would give us anything for the honor of paying this Ogbah $15M for one season (although Chris Grier thought it was a good move so maybe someone else might?) before most likely cutting him.

Basically everything I said about Ogbah applies to Cedrick Wilson's situation, only for about half the cap hit. Both servicable players who I don't mind being on the roster. Certainly harder to find better depth than Emmanuel Ogbah but something has to give here for us to improve some weaknesses.

Jakobi Meyers, Nelgon Agholor and JuJu Smith-Schuster headline this years amazing class of FA WR's.

These are our current picks over the next two years.....

2024 picks:
1st
2nd
5th
6th
7th

Using the Bears as an example, they have:

I'd swap 51 and 84 for 53 and 103, as well as give them a 2024 5th for 6th swap.

Near inconsequential value for us to give up but a little something for them to feel better about gaining draft capitol and a servicable DE.

Texans, Giants, Falcons could have an interest in making a deal for Cedrick Wilson, as well as a reunion with Dak and the Cowboys, although they'd have to clean up their cap situation first.

In a perfect world we'd take table scraps for both but its more likely we'd have to give up table scraps (or a bit more) to unload them so I am just wondering if I am the only one thinking about how to create $22M in much needed cap space by possibly doing something as simple as picking 103 instead of 84 and letting the Bears pick two picks earlier in the second round. The DL needy Seahawks would be picking between us, at 52, for reference. Who knows, maybe the Seahawks catch wind and offer to just swap 52 for 51 for Ogbah.

In closing I'll add, I'd be open to paying a portion of both players salaries as well if it then means we'd be on the plus side of the compensation package. There should be a good situation for both players to find themselves with in 2023 other than the Miami Dolphins, however if both players are on the roster come 2023, I'll root hard for them. They provide something, unlike a guy like Jerome Baker.

From a sheer playing time standpoint as well, both players should want to be somewhere else, so if they can help facilitate something, we can open the door to filling holes in FA ourselves.
#178 pick. ??? This year.. is that correct

Back
Top Bottom