I've Lost that loving Feeley | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I've Lost that loving Feeley

touborg said:
I'm really split on Feeley. I really hope he works out, but I think he is a major "?". Obviously he has to adapt to a new offense, and that will give him some growing pains. On the other hand, he's been throwing to our recievers and TEs for a year now, and allthough Frerotte has the system upside, Feeley has the chemistry upside.

This is what concerns me: Feeley has been a career backup so far, and the fact that he couldn't beat out Fiedler last year wasn't a good sign. That he has to learn a new offense is obviously problematic, but as I said, he's throwing to the same guys he has been for a year. He's 28, he's been in this league for almost half a decade, and still people cut him the slack you cut a rookie. For the love of god, he's NOT a rookie, and if he doesn't begin to look sharper, his stay here should end.

But Like I said, I hope he works out, I just have my doubts if this is what's going to happen.
You mean that he was not able to beat Wanny, not Fiedler, is not even training camp yet, and we are all acting very negative. I'am ok with this because I know that Saban will play the best player.

TARHEEL38 said:
I have to disagree with YOU. AJ got more first string reps than Jay got last year. Fans were upset b/c they thought AJ should have gotten them all. Jay played early in the season when the Oline was playing terrible. AJ got to play later in the season when the O-line was playing as good as it has played in awhile. Jay still put up a better QB rating, more TDs and less int. AJ AND Jay were learning a new system, so don't use that one. Jay clearly outplayed AJ and is a better QB.

Now this year, AJ lovers are saying AJ still should get the majority of the snaps. How?? AJ is the backup. Gus was brought in to be the starter. AJ is not some young rookie who we can gamble the future with. AJ is nearly as old as Gus. Why would we give him the starting position if Gus outplays him??

Let the best man win. If it IS AJ then fine, we will see where he takes us. But I really don't see any way that happens. But don't give me this "he is the future" load of crap. He is not some 22 year old rookie. Don't treat him like one.

If Saban brought in a 34 yr old QB to be our starter and then went the entire draft without drafting a QB then his time here will be short. By not drafting a QB, he saw enough on the film from last year to believe Feeley had a shot. Frerotte was brought in as a stop gap in case Feeley gets injured or doesnt progress enough to warrant starting.

The things Feeley needs to improve upon are his tendency to birddog, his tendency to panic when the pocket collapses, the speed of his decision making and varying his passing angles( he tended to line drive his passes last year). All of those bad habits can be changed. Will they? I don't know. But I will make my evaluation after this sseason is over.

If he can just improve on two of those ares, He will be a better quarterback than Frerotte ever was, IMO

adamprez2003 said:
If Saban brought in a 34 yr old QB to be our starter and then went the entire draft without drafting a QB then his time here will be short. By not drafting a QB, he saw enough on the film from last year to believe Feeley had a shot. Frerotte was brought in as a stop gap in case Feeley gets injured or doesnt progress enough to warrant starting.

The things Feeley needs to improve upon are his tendency to birddog, his tendency to panic when the pocket collapses, the speed of his decision making and varying his passing angles( he tended to line drive his passes last year). All of those bad habits can be changed. Will they? I don't know. But I will make my evaluation after this sseason is over.

If he can just improve on two of those ares, He will be a better quarterback than Frerotte ever was, IMO
I think his tendency to panic, is the one thing you can't change. That's the one thing that separates the greats from the backups.

grendel said:
I think his tendency to panic, is the one thing you can't change. That's the one thing that separates the greats from the backups.

Not so sure I agree with that. Here's why: Panicing has to do with not trusting in your ability or the ability of others. If he can be taught to trust in either or both, then he will be less likely to panic. Panic is a reaction to things that are out of your control. If you can be confident in the fact that things are not out of control, or that you can indeed make the correct decisions in those duress times then you can overcome it. Teaching can indeed eliminate this.

Think of high speed driving courses where the students are put into conditions out of their control. They are taught how to react and make certain descissions to over come those obsticles. Granted not everyone can be taught. That's something we will have to wait and see on.

grendel said:

I would like to see him play behind a line thats better than the one last year. I have faith that Houck will be able to provide that. If the panic is still there, behind a decent line, than I agree. But before I pronounce him having happy feet I want to give him a fair shot.

This is his year to prove it or not. I hope he does

TARHEEL38 said:
I have to disagree with YOU. AJ got more first string reps than Jay got last year. Fans were upset b/c they thought AJ should have gotten them all. Jay played early in the season when the Oline was playing terrible. AJ got to play later in the season when the O-line was playing as good as it has played in awhile. Jay still put up a better QB rating, more TDs and less int. AJ AND Jay were learning a new system, so don't use that one. Jay clearly outplayed AJ and is a better QB.

Now this year, AJ lovers are saying AJ still should get the majority of the snaps. How?? AJ is the backup. Gus was brought in to be the starter. AJ is not some young rookie who we can gamble the future with. AJ is nearly as old as Gus. Why would we give him the starting position if Gus outplays him??

Let the best man win. If it IS AJ then fine, we will see where he takes us. But I really don't see any way that happens. But don't give me this "he is the future" load of crap. He is not some 22 year old rookie. Don't treat him like one.

wait, did he just say Fiedler is a better QB than Feeley? ...

anyhow, i just can't see Fiedler beating the Pats last year... not with that arm, and not with that brain-dead tendency...

grendel said:
IMHO I think Dan Marino would have had a tendency to panic behind Miami's terrible line last year. With Marino's bad knees it would probably have ended his career, but this is not meant as an endorcement of Feeley either.

Not another controversy!?

Anyone think Brock Berlin will eventually be better than A.J. Feeley... the 2 of them out there both looked lost though, and I went to 2 Mini-Camps this weekend. Unimpressive QB play.

KiddJB said:
Anyone think Brock Berlin will eventually be better than A.J. Feeley... the 2 of them out there both looked lost though, and I went to 2 Mini-Camps this weekend. Unimpressive QB play.
You can think what you want of Feeley but IMHO there is no way Berlin will ever be better than him.

OneHondo said:
IMHO I think Dan Marino would have had a tendency to panic behind Miami's terrible line last year. With Marino's bad knees it would probably have ended his career, but this is not meant as an endorcement of Feeley either.
The line got better towards the end, when AJ was playing. I watched Dan's last game, and even then in that fiasco, he never panicked! I guess its how you define panic. Its just my observations, but AJ doesn't posess that calm and confidence that I see in good QBs. I went back and watched AJ's game against NE, and even in winning he had that "I can't believe I did that look." That's just my observations. I hope he proves me wrong.

grendel said:
It sounds more like Gus is the leader of our team. Its early, but AJ is not stepping up. I watched the New England game yesterday, and the one thing that bothered me about Aj was his lack of confidence. After he threw the tying TD, he celebrated way to much. He was acting like, " I can't belive I did that!" On the same tape was Danny's comeback game against the Colts, when Danny throws the game winner, he has this great look on his face like, "that's what I thought, punk!"

so it sounds like the guy who knows the offense is teaching the offense while the guy who doesn't know the offense as well is actually learning the guy? Is that what you are saying?

Uh...Lad.....

touborg said:
I'm really split on Feeley. I really hope he works out, but I think he is a major "?". Obviously he has to adapt to a new offense, and that will give him some growing pains. On the other hand, he's been throwing to our recievers and TEs for a year now, and allthough Frerotte has the system upside, Feeley has the chemistry upside.

This is what concerns me: Feeley has been a career backup so far, and the fact that he couldn't beat out Fiedler last year wasn't a good sign. That he has to learn a new offense is obviously problematic, but as I said, he's throwing to the same guys he has been for a year. He's 28, he's been in this league for almost half a decade, and still people cut him the slack you cut a rookie. For the love of god, he's NOT a rookie, and if he doesn't begin to look sharper, his stay here should end.

But Like I said, I hope he works out, I just have my doubts if this is what's going to happen.

If you want a definition of 'career backup,' take a long look at Gus Frerotte. And Feeley may be throwing to the same guys, but they're in a different system..which, by the way - Frerotte already knows basically. Advantage Frerotte. Feeley's position is like knowing how to shift gears by learing in a Mack truck and then being put in the driver's seat of a corvette. There is a slight difference, you know.

Rewatch the Patriot game, that will get the Feeley juices going again.

Back
Top Bottom