J.Chase has to be a physical receiver, whenever he stutter steps he really slows down. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J.Chase has to be a physical receiver, whenever he stutter steps he really slows down.

That... is not what the sentence I wrote said. Please try again.
You said nfl quality CBs. So basically, unless you watched him in the NFL, against nfl quality CBs, then how would you know? Because NFL quality CBs are in the NFL, not college.

I stutter step to the coffee machine all the time and never detected slowing down. I'll have to time myself and check the tape.

Key word..."reasonsble".
The key to know is even scouts disagree. Two completely knowledgeable and experienced scouts can come to different conclusions on players. Context is the hard part. Is the guys ability maxed out (usually strait line speed guys). Can the guy build on his tape? No one, including scouts, knows.

If you haven't seen Chase's Exos training tape by NFLN, I encourage you to watch it. It should be included in his evaluation.

No one is attacking the OP. They are stating what's wrong with over thinking. Secondly..you can watch YouTube highlights until you're blue in the face. It does not tell the Chase story. I could care less if he outmuscles every DB off the line or not. He gains separation and he does so in any manner you want. He can run a slant, an out...deep. Some team (may not be the Dolphins) is going to be smart enough to draft him and reap the benefits.

I don't even think he'll be A dolphin but he is 1a. If you're scouting off of YouTube takes, your going to miss how complete he is.
I have watched every snap hes played (I watch every LSU game). He's a unique talent.

Thank you for your informed opinion. Please explain what is allowed and not allowed on a fan message board, I certainly hate that I have wasted your time away from your 9-5. I will try to do better with your guidance.
Just ignore him like 90% of everyone on this board does.

Not sure if this has been posted. It's worth watching. Coming to LSU, Terrace Marshall was more highly regarded. Chase had committed to UF, eventually made the wise decision to stay home.

Love how hard he works and how committed he is to his craft. He wants to be the best.

Ok...this is an example of not buying a Ferrari because it has a dent on it.

This is why IMO this post is unreasonable/nitpicking.

Are people nitpicking Smith not running at his pro day? Not being elite at 50/50 balls? Not being strong off the line? His footwork is elite, but what happens when somebody like Jaire Alexander matches him with footwork and shoves him into the ground?

It's nitpicking with Chase and it needs to be addressed.

For the record, my WR of choice is Waddle so I don't really have a dog in this fight.
I don't agree that it is a nit-pick or something not worth mentioning. Reality is that Chase will fit some teams better than others. Miami's offense lacks players that can get immediate separation at the line. So getting guys that are good at getting immediate separation should be a goal and pointing out the fact that a prospect isn't great at that is reasonable.

I wouldn't say that people are nit-picking about Smith not running his pro day. I do get the impression that the criticism is disingenuous. (ie. If a guy they liked did the same it would be okay). I also wouldn't say that the claim that Smith isn't elite at 50/50 balls is nit-picking. I would call it factually wrong. Smith is excellent at 50/50 balls.

Personally, I see being able to get immediate separation as a an important need for our offense and I have Chase as my fourth choice among the four top pass catchers.

No one is attacking the OP. They are stating what's wrong with over thinking. Secondly..you can watch YouTube highlights until you're blue in the face. It does not tell the Chase story. I could care less if he outmuscles every DB off the line or not. He gains separation and he does so in any manner you want. He can run a slant, an out...deep. Some team (may not be the Dolphins) is going to be smart enough to draft him and reap the benefits.

I don't even think he'll be A dolphin but he is 1a. If you're scouting off of YouTube takes, your going to miss how complete he is.
It was absolutely an attack on the OP. He was told his opinion shouldn't be listened to unless he was a paid scout. And it is factually incorrect that Chase gains "separation in any manner you want". He can run the full route tree, but he is not great at getting immediate separation off the line. Even most people who have Chase as the top WR acknowledge this. To pretend that he has no weaknesses is just dishonest. You can decide in your own evaluation that you "could care less" about a weakness, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that another evaluator can reasonably care about it.

It was absolutely an attack on the OP. He was told his opinion shouldn't be listened to unless he was a paid scout.
You lie...not a misunderstanding because you understood from your level of perception, which is by your accounts expert-level comparatively (even though you quoted PFF).

The crux of what I said dealt with people, not even the OP, who aren't experts needing to stop the in-depth analysis. Not that they shouldn't be listened to because this is a message board (keep this in mind). Just don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining. If you are going to give detailed explanations, I want the person to be qualified to do so. If not, you are going to be called on the carpet for nitpicking because, as was previously stated, you aren't an expert.

I don't agree that it is a nit-pick or something not worth mentioning. Reality is that Chase will fit some teams better than others. Miami's offense lacks players that can get immediate separation at the line. So getting guys that are good at getting immediate separation should be a goal and pointing out the fact that a prospect isn't great at that is reasonable.

I wouldn't say that people are nit-picking about Smith not running his pro day. I do get the impression that the criticism is disingenuous. (ie. If a guy they liked did the same it would be okay). I also wouldn't say that the claim that Smith isn't elite at 50/50 balls is nit-picking. I would call it factually wrong. Smith is excellent at 50/50 balls.

Personally, I see being able to get immediate separation as a an important need for our offense and I have Chase as my fourth choice among the four top pass catchers.
Curious as to who your top 3 are for our offense?

Curious as to who your top 3 are for our offense?
My top 3 are Pitts, Smith and Waddle.

I see Smith as the no-brainer, easy pick. He is a perfect fit for Miami. He excels at separation at every point in the route and he has great hands. Historically, players who are superior route runners and have great hands rarely fail, especially if they have a great work ethic as Smith reportedly has.

Pitts is a unicorn. He is the often sought but rarely found mis-match nightmare. You actually have guys with similar physical traits in many drafts. But Pitts may be different b/c his film backs it up. If you look at the pass catchers in this draft who are best against press, you'll find Pitts and Smith at the top of the list. The concern I have is that TEs are more difficult to design offenses around. IMO that's why great TE/WR types often under-perform. Their OCs just use them like TEs and they don't provide the impact that a great WR does. But Flores was there when NE did design an offense around Gronk/Hernandez so that gives me hope here.

Waddle is not as good as Smith in almost every category that matters, except speed. But his speed is so ridiculous that it could change how defenses defend us. Fuller and Waddle on the field together practically dictate having at least two safeties back. That should make the run game easier, the reads for the QB easier, the game planning and calls for the OC(s) easier.

No matter which of these we get, I would feel FOMO for the other two. My current fantasy is getting Pitts at 6 and then trading up from 18 to get Smith (or to a slightly lesser extent Waddle).

Last edited:
You lie...not a misunderstanding because you understood from your level of perception, which is by your accounts expert-level comparatively (even though you quoted PFF).

The crux of what I said dealt with people, not even the OP, who aren't experts needing to stop the in-depth analysis. Not that they shouldn't be listened to because this is a message board (keep this in mind). Just don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining. If you are going to give detailed explanations, I want the person to be qualified to do so. If not, you are going to be called on the carpet for nitpicking because, as was previously stated, you aren't an expert.
It doesn't take an expert to recognize that one player gets off the line faster than another.

It was absolutely an attack on the OP. He was told his opinion shouldn't be listened to unless he was a paid scout. And it is factually incorrect that Chase gains "separation in any manner you want". He can run the full route tree, but he is not great at getting immediate separation off the line. Even most people who have Chase as the top WR acknowledge this. To pretend that he has no weaknesses is just dishonest. You can decide in your own evaluation that you "could care less" about a weakness, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that another evaluator can reasonably care about it.
😂😂😂. read. I didn't say he had no weakness. Additionally, it's an opinion that he doesn't get separation immediately. Most of the evaluators you reference say he does but he let's the defender get in on him. Perhaps you're more knowledgeable than most but I watched him. He had a record breaking season and did more than any receiver ever at that time. He didn't do it with smoke and mirrors.

All that said..I believe the best fit is Smith or a Waddle. Chase is an undoubted number 1 Alpha receiver. I don't question his seperation as much as others but the Dolphins stunk at it last year. Fuller, Smith, Waddle and even Pitts fit for those reasons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom