J.Chase has to be a physical receiver, whenever he stutter steps he really slows down. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J.Chase has to be a physical receiver, whenever he stutter steps he really slows down.

I think we are so deep into this $#!t that most everyone is drastically over analyzing ALL of these prospects. Trying to find things wrong with them. Same exact thing these GM/FO people tend to do. Over-preparation.

It’s akin to playing not to lose. GM’s and fans alike are playing not to be wrong.

I truly believe the average GM’s hit and miss ratio would greatly improve if there wasn’t so much time between the end of the season and the draft. Because they’d have to rely more upon the tape the player has already put out there and their own gut instinct.

The toughest job of an evaluator is analyzing the strengths of a prospect, the weaknesses of a prospect, but obsessing over neither. Even 'generational' talents have weaknesses, The trick is determining which can be corrected with coaching and which are innate.
My problem with all four projected top WR targets is, the little film I've seen, I like all four when I see them play. I can make a case for all of them. Clueless on the opinions of Miami's scouts/coaches.

No offense intended, but, as you know, this time of year is when 'advocates' make this type on post. Personally, I want a game-changing WR and I'll take any of Chase, Pitts, Smith, waddle (alphabetical order). You're right, all have flaws
Understandable, no offense taken. Just pointing out something I didn't like....clearly offended some on this board but what else is new, lol!

I don't know where people are getting that Chase is a bust proof prospect. He runs lazy routes and he could be one in a long list of guys who didn't polish their game when facing competition they could succeed with physical skills alone, and it's really a coin flip whether these guys can learn to play a different way when facing competition that they can't physically outclass and have to use technique.

I would understand some of the negativity to the thread if Chase was the only player worth a top 10 pick. But when there are four high end receivers that have every right to be drafted at 6 I would hope plenty of scrutiny is applied to come away with the best fit for our team. Appreciate the discussion and those who actually can respond with intelligent points of view.

I like Chase and have him as a top 5 prospect in this draft, but he isn't perfect. IMO anybody who thinks he is perfect or doesn't have any weaknesses needs to reconsider how they evaluate the WR position.

Chase isn't great at getting a clean release off the line. He tends to let the DB into his body and then uses his strength to muscle him off. If you want to run an offense where your QB hits that quick timing pass then Chase isn't ideal. You can do things to protect him and manufacture clean releases so it's not insurmountable, but it is a weakness in his game. Obviously he brings other strengths and IMO those are what make him a great prospect. I do not believe he's going to bust or anything. But I also don't have him as the best fit for the offense Miami wants to run or with the personnel Miami has. Of the four top pass catchers I have him as fourth on my Miami board.

I would understand some of the negativity to the thread if Chase was the only player worth a top 10 pick. But when there are four high end receivers that have every right to be drafted at 6 I would hope plenty of scrutiny is applied to come away with the best fit for our team. Appreciate the discussion and those who actually can respond with intelligent points of view.
This is not a criticism of you, rather with so few days left, the narratives are continually changing. People think Chase just muscles his way to all those catches and yards. He can run every route, he gains separation and yes..he'll fight for the ball when called on. Shouldn't every wide receiver do that if a ball is contested?

Without context of what you saw, I can only say the version of Chase everyone saw before he sat out was something I wanted to see in Dolphin receivers. This is from Ringer:

"runs with strong acceleration and gear-change to create vertical spacing (THIS DOESN'T even include his outmuscling smaller DB'S) .....slips the jam and sets up defensive backs with sudden feet/hands...tremendous after-catch skills with his body power, burst and balance to create, leading the country in receiving yards after contact (411) in 2019...proven chain-mover with 85.1% of his college catches resulting in a first down or touchdown."

People are talking themselves into and out of really good players. It happens. Pitts/Chase remain my favorite two prospects. Even with warts.

This is not a criticism of you, rather with so few days left, the narratives are continually changing. People think Chase just muscles his way to all those catches and yards. He can run every route, he gains separation and yes..he'll fight for the ball when called on. Shouldn't every wide receiver do that if a ball is contested?

Without context of what you saw, I can only say the version of Chase everyone saw before he sat out was something I wanted to see in Dolphin receivers. This is from Ringer:

"runs with strong acceleration and gear-change to create vertical spacing (THIS DOESN'T even include his outmuscling smaller DB'S) .....slips the jam and sets up defensive backs with sudden feet/hands...tremendous after-catch skills with his body power, burst and balance to create, leading the country in receiving yards after contact (411) in 2019...proven chain-mover with 85.1% of his college catches resulting in a first down or touchdown."

People are talking themselves into and out of really good players. It happens. Pitts/Chase remain my favorite two prospects. Even with warts.
Well put. I'm open to many directions this FO can go and will be happy to have anyone of the top 4 skilled offensive players added to our roster.

I find it a little amusing to see debates. It seems consensus here, sports writers, teams have Pitts/Chase as top pick - some have one as top 5, some have the other top 5, a few have both. Yet, some want to claim one of them is so bad he shouldn't even be a consideration. I can understand preferring one over the other, but it damages credibility to claim one has serious flaws that should scare Miami away. BTW, not directed at you

I find it a little amusing to see debates. It seems consensus here, sports writers, teams have Pitts/Chase as top pick - some have one as top 5, some have the other top 5, a few have both. Yet, some want to claim one of them is so bad he shouldn't even be a consideration. I can understand preferring one over the other, but it damages credibility to claim one has serious flaws that should scare Miami away. BTW, not directed at you
Would love to hear the debates going on in our FO/Coaches meetings about what they like and don't like about perspective players.

Back
Top Bottom