J. Claytons Take on Mueller Hire | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J. Claytons Take on Mueller Hire

litho... can you find me one sports writer that says we blew our draft.. .everyone i read gave us at least Bs in the draft

ether79 said:
You've said something to this point a few times and it bugs me. Channing is from Florida and so is Daniels. You can't be talking about Daniels though because he will make an impact this year because of circumstances. So out the 6 people Saban drafted 2 are from florida and you're calling people homers of because they liked the draft class that had 2 people from the state of Florida in it. After reading everything you've said I have come to think that YOU are the one that has a bias and its against ANYTHING this organization does. And with the first selection of 2005 ignore list draft Ether 79 selects..... LithoMan!
Wow, you hurt me there. Nope, my first pick would of been from FSU, so wrong....... try again....homer....

LithoMan said:
Ok, but what about the O. That is the one thing I feared about Saban's inexperience. He is a very strong D guy, and our O suffered due to it. Yes, good talent draft, but not a good draft.

Does our O not need help? There were plenty of good O guys that could of easily been used all year long, over situational D guys. is that not the truth? Our WR/TE are good, but what else on O do you feel comfortable with?

And the answer to your immediate impact, is that every team has players that can be replaced. So, every team can be improved with a better draftee, that can have an immediate impact. its splitting hairs, but I dont think we improved the team. I dont feel we got the BAP's. I feel he had a mission, and never took the blinders off, for what was there on his pick.

I feel the O is for the most part fine. I feel that the problem with the offense last year was lack of coaching. The offensive linemen on this team are talented. No one knew exactly who they were supposed to block. You can see that with the improvement when they went to a base scheme after Wanny left.

Also with immediate impact, most of the best players in the NFL were not immediat impact players. M. Harrison, T. Holt, T. Owens, E. Moulds, and almost every quarterback minus Peyton Manning and most tackles took a year or two to become impact players. The only position that actually has a consitant history of having impact players in the first few rounds is runningback. Which is one thing Saban did draft.

I also feel different about BPA. Miami didn't NEED Matt Roth, however it is hard to argue that he was not the best player available. Almost every draft analysis said as much. Same with Channing. Some people have him as the next Ray Lewis if his knees hold up.

tay0365 said:
What!!! :eek: You think Nick blew the draft? on day one he got himself arguably the best RB in the Draft (At the very least, the most complete RB), a DE with a nasty attitude that was considered a 1st round pick, a LB that was considered the best Middle/Inside LB in this years draft (And again, thought of as a 1st round pick).

On day two, he took a Solid CB that already knows Saban's system, an O-linemen, that many say is a very good project to one day become a solid at the very least L-tackle, and finally took a DT that even though will have a tough time making this team, is considered very tough, and could become a very good player to have at backup.

Along with those gems, he got himself another very talented RB, 2 Safeties that show promise, and an underachieving QB that many forget did have pretty good season this year.

If this is a Draft that Saban blew, then Dam, I can't wait to see one where he got it right. :D

and you'll be the first lining up in the "draft Matt Leinart" line next offseason wont you? Thats why I am glad Randy is here now, he'll be leading the "Forget Matt Leinart" line, sweeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttttt!!!!!

NathanHunt said:
:hmmm:

If you ignore Mueller just came from ESPN.

Just cause you work with a guy does not mean you have to like him. Take the NFL for example, how many coaches do we see in the media come out after a guy is traded and say, "Ah, he wasn't that good." I'm sure everyone has co-workers that they don't like to work with and are glad when they leave.

Plus it's not like Mueller can bias an article for a company he no longer works for, unless he has some great connections.

ajfeeleys#1fan said:
ether what r u talking about? we only drafted one player from florida! daniels was from lsu! litho was trying to say that just because you like a player doesnt mean he will pan out! litho doesnt know is that in some draft boards peaople had crowder ranked in the 1st round but off the field problems, age, and injury promblems lead to him getting picked in the 3rd!

MLB arent worth a 1 or 2 round pick. He got picked in the right place, I just thought we could of focused on a much better talented SS LB. If we are grooming for years to come, we missed the boat. We could of had a better LB, that should of went in the first, because he will be worth the money he demands in four years. SS LB's are worth their weight in gold, Channing is a MLB, and always will be. Even the great hype machine didnt save DJ did it? He still went to high, because all he is is a weak side LB, dime a dozen. You can get your self one of those cheap, and be just as good.

LithoMan said:
Uh huh. Sure, tell yourself that. Randy wouldnt be here if he didnt have final say. If he doesn't, it wont be long for hime, and he will resigne. Randy is very head strong, and wont like being told what he should draft or sign. He is what he is, a very strong minded GM. If he was just an input guy, he would be like Fassel in Baltimore last season, a consultant.

I think this cuts deeper then most realize. Either Heizenga or the NFL questioned Nicks picks, and saw he drafted replacements for JT and Zach, and that will strip the franchise of all that is recognizable for the next 2-3 years of rebuilding. They questioned his moves or something, and found out he is an idiot. Dont know the true story, YET, but this has deeper ramifications then most seem to think.

Congrats! You've just become the first person to make my ignore list.
Go back to the Bills site.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
I feel the O is for the most part fine. I feel that the problem with the offense last year was lack of coaching. The offensive linemen on this team are talented. No one knew exactly who they were supposed to block. You can see that with the improvement when they went to a base scheme after Wanny left.

Also with immediate impact, most of the best players in the NFL were not immediat impact players. M. Harrison, T. Holt, T. Owens, E. Moulds, and almost every quarterback minus Peyton Manning and most tackles took a year or two to become impact players. The only position that actually has a consitant history of having impact players in the first few rounds is runningback. Which is one thing Saban did draft.

I also feel different about BPA. Miami didn't NEED Matt Roth, however it is hard to argue that he was not the best player available. Almost every draft analysis said as much. Same with Channing. Some people have him as the next Ray Lewis if his knees hold up.

I agree with that! We do have some studs on our OL. I have been trumpeting that for three years now. Its always been the coaching, always. I think they will do good this season, even Carey. But, you tell me we couldnt fit an alex Barron into the fold? yes, he was gone in the second, but what about the first. I would of rather built my line, then get me a RB, but thats just me.

Like I said, splitting hairs. But, my immediate impact definition is a little different. Maybe a guy doesn't get on the field immediatley and look pro bowl, but they do get on the field game one, and make the position better. reference Shawn Andrews to Vernon a year ago. A bad leg break, or we all would know who Shawn is, and would of referenced that when speaking of misses. I would of never let Philly jump me to get Shawn, that wasw my primary target in 04.

i dont lay it all on Saban, many seem to think I do, but I do lay this years draft on him. This team has been neglected the last 4 years. Its not his fault he has to correct the Wanny blunders, I just think we could of done more.

See, people think a rookie cant make an immediate impact, my point is they can. The truest of gems, is finding that rookie that is an all pro out of the gate, not in two or three years. They needed grooming, and weren't worthy of that first round pick. Thats a Ben compared to Phillip/Eli, a Shawn compared to a Vernon. They are the truest of gems even in the first round.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Why couldn't Roth play the other side? It is the weaker side in the pass rush situation.

I do agree that Roth will probably struggle as a LB, that is why he moved to DE.

Zach is old, he has 2-4 years left. Taylor might have more, however I bet in 2 or 3 years he is going to be a situational pass rusher.

It depends on which foot's dominant and you can tell that by their body position on film. I you take off with your dominant leg you'll open your hips, get tall and your natural path will be away from the QB. That'll force you to fishhook to the backfield. A longer path to the QB allows lesser athletes at OT a better chance to compete. If you take the most direct to the QB, angle to the cliff and flatten out, you can quickly and consistently beat tackles ir your athlete enough. Contact sport or not, football's still a game and athleteicism rules in this arena the same way it does in any other sport. You don't tackle ball carriers through a blocker. You make tackles by gettin' away form them. If you lack athletic ability, you can't afford to fish hook. Beatin' on a blocker isn't gonna sack the QB.

byroan said:
Litho is a Broncos fan. Nuff' said.

Ohhhh, quit it. I know the guy

HE IS A DOLPHIN FAN!! The team went 2-14, was lowsy, played lowsy and he's upset

And he's not gonna' sit there and watch a lowsy team. The SF vs. Miami game was enough to make even me throw up. So, he's taken to watchin' other teams and a curious and even jubilant eye. He loves the game and enjoyes good quality athletes who make plays and help their team win.

We've been goin' to BW3 here in town every Sunday, 1130 AM to at least 8 PM. He said back in 2002 that the team was "gonna wake up one day and suck." In 2003 he was on the message boards campaigning against Wanny. Fighting a losing battle too. He was tryin' to rile people up enough to do somethin' about it. Nope. No luck.

Another freind of mine, Blake, he's a Bears fan and still hates what Wanny did to his team. The first year he left, Clyde Simmons was a starter at RE. Let that sink in for minute. The first draft after Wanny left included;
Russell Davis, Rex Tucker, Marty Booker (hmmmm), Warrick Holdman and Roosevelt Colvin. It's been like that every year for Chicago. Just addin' talent all over. They're still rebuilding. They were so messed up after Wanny, even hitin' on mid rounders (guys like Lance Briggs) every year doesn't help. He wrecked that team.

I fear he's done the same to the Dolphins. Except, Litho (sorry duder, almost called you by your real name) was all over it back in 2002. Since then he's traded Kenechi Udeze and Mewelde Moore for Vernon Carey, Reggie Brown for A.J. Feely and Midieu Williams for Wade Smith tryin' to save his job. He was all over it back then.

Where were you??

Back
Top Bottom