J.J. a littled overrated in drafting | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J.J. a littled overrated in drafting

Ohio Fanatic said:
:shakeno: Not fair to base his talent on a single year, matter of fact, it's pretty naive. Yes, this wasn't a good year, but look at our friggin defense, it's built around studs that Jimmy drafted (Zach, JT, Sam Madison) ALso, our 2nd round pick this year was from trading Pat, a person Jimmy drafted. Just the fact that they are still starting after this many years shows what kind of players he drafted. ANd even the 1999 draft, Konrad was very talented, but never used right by Wanny the idiot and you can't anticipate him being injured all the time, he was healthy in college. Ruegemer is still a quality starter in this league and is better than our current center. Jermaine Haley was a great player considering he was drafted in the 7th round.

I am far from naive, I got a 50 on my wonderlic. :evil: Jermaine Haley a great player because he was drafted in 7th round ? So any player that doesn't get cut, and is a backup is a great player if they were drafted in the 7th round ? I actually think Pope is a better pick that Haley. On the Konrad part, I actually used to think we never used him right, but after many years of disappointment I just think the guy was overhyped. Keep in mind I stated that 99 was a bad draft from top to bottom, and thus based on that - and his Shannon, Avery, JJ Johnson, etc picks I believe the guy is "a little overrated" in drafting. Yes he got us Zach, JT, and Madison - great job there...but I can't think of one Offensive player he got that ever even became a good player, let along great.

BlueFin said:
How can you say a guy that had shown himself to be injury prone, that had averaged less than 400 yards per season receiving over the course of 3 years at UM wasn't a reach at pick #15 of the first round? He scored a total of 9 touchdowns in three years at UM.....this guy was drafted completely based on potential ignoring his production and his injury history, you should never spend a #15 pick on a guy like that, not in the first round....later yes, that is what makes it a reach.

I hear ya...BUT...one could say something similar about a #2 overall pick for a RB in the draft for a guy who was not even a starter for his team, ya know??

Yatil had HUGE upside...he was a gamble and the gamble didnt pan out. Was still a solid pick at the time to try and give our QB a weapon....I respected it at the time. Hindsight is, sadly, 20/20.... :confused2

BlueFin said:
It simply made no sense to take away Dan's ability to audible, IMO that was a clear case of a power play by JJ, Dan was by that time an expert at it.

JJ should have kept his focus on the defense and let Dan run the offense, that was the best chance this team had to be successful at that time.

The last season was a little different, Dan had injury problems that year and we really had nobody else, it was a bad way to end it.

JJ's worst mistakes here were IMO in not assembling a good staff around himself, Kippy Brown was an absolute joke as an OC. When you compare the staff Saban has assembled there is really no comparison.

I agree w/ the bad call to terminate the audible on Marino. Sadly, the right thing would have been to CUT Marino at that time if you cut his flexibility..he was past his prime and becoming a liability ( I still get sick saying that...but I honestly felt it at the time). He was an icon in SF and this was JJ's way of trying to phase Danny out. I thought it sucked and it was stupid.....

The really bad thing was JJ never drafted a replacement.....Fieldler was a bad hair day squared....

Buddwalk said:
100% agreed...but as a coach he was never able to succesfully work with marino

JJ loved running the ball to death but we didnt have a runningback to do that and we had marino...so many times i remember marino having to bail jj out by coming back in the 4th quarter and winning games when they could of led by 2 tds going into the 4th if marino had been throwing the ball more

I couldnt have said it any better. You have to go with you strengths and Marino was our strength.

ohall said:
It was a mess that Shu's left. Not to say Shu's couldn't have fixed things, but at that time it was painfully obvious he lost the ability to chose top flight players from the draft.

I can't fault Shu's for doing what he did either. I was all for the moves he made, we all were. We all wanted to see him go out with another title.
Vincent/Coleman (#1's in 92), McDuffie (#1 in 93), T. Bowens (#1 in 94), Milner (#1 in 95). That's 4/5 for Shula's #1 picks in his last 4 years. Just because 95 was a horrible draft, I'm not really sure that he was "losing it"

Marino420TD said:
Vincent/Coleman (#1's in 92), McDuffie (#1 in 93), T. Bowens (#1 in 94), Milner (#1 in 95). That's 4/5 for Shula's #1 picks in his last 4 years. Just because 95 was a horrible draft, I'm not really sure that he was "losing it"

Agreed we still got value at the top but Shula wasn't getting many late round picks to stay with the team.

Back
Top Bottom