J-Off's 2016 Draft Review for the Miami Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J-Off's 2016 Draft Review for the Miami Dolphins

Great write up j-off, your one of the better draft guys on this site for sure.

Pretty much agree with everything here.

There was definitely better "pure running back" prospects available than drake. Were not going to be using him as a pure running back IMO though. I mentioned in another post that IMO he's got a lot more to show than what he did in bama. I think he's just touching the surface of what he's capable of.

Quality post. Everyone seems confused by the Drake pick, especially in light of the Grant pick later.

When posters more knowledgeable about the draft than I express bewilderment, I can only assume two things:

1. They have some diabolical plan up their collective sleeve, or
2. Once again, our front office did something head-scratchingly stupid.

Hoping it was the former, but totally believe it was the latter.

Great job J-Offs. I'm a defensive first guy and the draft was loaded on defense so I expected Miami to go heavy that way. But, after the way free agency played out and the trade for Alonso and Maxwell, I think we should have expected an offensive draft.

Lots of debate on the Drake pick and that is definitely fair. I had other running backs higher, but when I went back to look at Drake he is very explosive and I think the front office correctly identified that they needed someone to complement Ajayi. At that point in the draft, they didn't know what else would be available kick returner-wise either so that value there was important.

In my mind, the whole draft changed for the team when Tunsil dropped. The target there was likely William Jackson III or Miles Jack so that definitely played into the heavy offense. Also, the team needs weapons and speed to matchup with the defenses in the AFC East.

Looks pretty solid on paper. We'll have to see how it actually plays out.

I agree that Tunsil falling changed the outlook of Miami's draft. I'm very glad that Miami didn't reach for someone like Lawson or William Jackson III at 13. I'm assuming Miami has a few FA's in mind at RB. If Ajayi and Drake are the options, Miami will field a pass-heavy offense. It's nice that Miami has a good group of weapons, but they really need another RB - unless they're counting on Daniel Thomas :confused:

Thanks for the write up, I'm definitely feeling better about our draft than I was initially. But I still definitely think we moved all around recklessly. I guess we will hit LB heavy next year.

I could see Jason jones getting signed pretty soon. Not ruling out a vet corner either. Probably see more moves like that later in the year

Good write up! I am warming up to this draft. You have to figure they got Drake for a good reason, like 3rd down...It reeks of a definite plan, unlike some of the previous regimes (and their family's). LOL

Great write-up. I think we all definitely agree on the Drake pick, that in and of itself it's not a bad pick, but with a trade up for caroo and for grant it seems a little unplanned.

I thought maybe they would like to Dixon as well, was pretty sure he or Prosise, who really reminded me of David Johnson, would be the pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really just don't see what everyone sees in Dixon. He looks like a slightly better Mike Gillislee to me.

I thought Gilli had limited NFL upside, I think Dixon is very much the same.

The most ridiculous over-reaction to me was passing on Scooby Wright. But this site loves them some white linebackers so I get it. 2nd IMO is probably passing on Dixon.

What am I missing here?

I really just don't see what everyone sees in Dixon. He looks like a slightly better Mike Gillislee to me.

I thought Gilli had limited NFL upside, I think Dixon is very much the same.

The most ridiculous over-reaction to me was passing on Scooby Wright. But this site loves them some white linebackers so I get it. 2nd IMO is probably passing on Dixon.

What am I missing here?

Kenneth Dixon posted more than twice as many total yards as Gillislee and about four times as many TD's. He tested better than Ezekiel Elliot. He's a talented receiver out of the backfield - among the most efficient in the draft. He has good vision and instincts, and he brings good size to the position. His 15 career receiving TD's total 11 more than Drake posted.

I'm curious who people think is Drake's NFL equivalent. Is a cross between CJ Spiller and Dion Lewis a fair comparison?

J, my friend, incredible write up.

I absolutely love the high SPARQ scores from the corners Miami drafted. Love it. Scheme fits with athletic ability, and in Howard's case elite ball skills.

The pick that bothers me is the Drake pick too. Better running backs to be had, but I can agree that maybe Drake wasn't drafted to be a running back more like a weapon. I don't know I'm just excited for TC to see how good Gase really is. The growth of young players under this staff may be huge.

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

I'm curious who people think is Drake's NFL equivalent. Is a cross between CJ Spiller and Dion Lewis a fair comparison?

Watching Spiller I can say he was a better player than Drake, but to be fair Drake never got the workload of Spiller.

Tremendous, J-Off. I really appreciate the effort you took. I have to say, I agree with your analysis. I can't even think of anything to nitpick.

Kenneth Dixon posted more than twice as many total yards as Gillislee and about four times as many TD's. He tested better than Ezekiel Elliot. He's a talented receiver out of the backfield - among the most efficient in the draft. He has good vision and instincts, and he brings good size to the position. His 15 career receiving TD's total 11 more than Drake posted.

Total college production means nothing in the NFL for running backs. We both know this. Kapri Bobbs ran for 31 tds in 2013 I don't see him starting in the NFL. Let Drake play for Louisana Tech and let's see what his production would be.

I know your big on Sparq scores but Dixon ran a very slow 40 time. So I don't see how he tested better than Zeke. Zeke is bigger stronger and faster, and quite frankly better at everything. I don't see where this comparison holds any wieght.

Dixon's receiving talent is overstated IMO, it's almost all dump off passes and short pitch passes. And on most of his big plays off those passes you don't see a linebacker anywhere in sight. The highlights look nice, the game tape not so much.

To me he's like Gillislee, productive in colege, but no identifiable elite traits for the NFL level. He's not fast, and he's easy to take down. I just don't see it. IMO, that's why he dropped.

You look where his big plays came from, they won't be there in the NFL, what elite traits does he have to overcome that?

Speaking of Florida running backs. Stand on question did anyone draft Fred Taylor's kid?

Kelvin Taylor went to the 49ers and for those old enough to remember, Drake reminds me of Harvey Williams.

Back
Top Bottom