J-Off's 2016 Draft Review for the Miami Dolphins | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J-Off's 2016 Draft Review for the Miami Dolphins

Thanks for the write up, I'm definitely feeling better about our draft than I was initially. But I still definitely think we moved all around recklessly. I guess we will hit LB heavy next year.

I could see Jason jones getting signed pretty soon. Not ruling out a vet corner either. Probably see more moves like that later in the year

Miami doesn't seem to value linebackers the way I do. It's now two drafts in a row where the position is essentially forgotten. I would have loaded up on defense as well, but I'm going to trust that Gase has a plan. I do like the explosive players brought in on offense.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

I'm curious who people think is Drake's NFL equivalent. Is a cross between CJ Spiller and Dion Lewis a fair comparison?

This is a bit of an old school comparison, but I see some Napoleum Kaufman in his game.

If Miami liked Carroo that much, why didn’t they draft him at 73? If Drake isn’t returning kicks, why pass on Kenneth Dixon? If Drake is returning kicks, why trade up for Jakeem Grant? While this aspect of the draft could have gone much smoother.

This is the part that I cant figure out and remains the biggest question to me. I really thought the pick was going to be Dixon.

options, options and more options

great write-up j-off....

Gase and Joseph will utilize these guys properly.

I had zero confidence in Philbin, Coyle, Campbell, and the others....

Miami doesn't seem to value linebackers the way I do. It's now two drafts in a row where the position is essentially forgotten. I would have loaded up on defense as well, but I'm going to trust that Gase has a plan. I do like the explosive players brought in on offense.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

This is a bit of an old school comparison, but I see some Napoleum Kaufman in his game.

To be fair, this draft was horrible for linebackers. Other than a select few, most of the guys will be career backups.

Great writeup J.

Combo of information and good writing without emotional baggage to color it. This site needs more guys like you.

I too thought the draft was more solid than people give it credit for. Excited to see how these players pan out.

Just wanted to add one more thing.

A lot of ppl have an idea that we neglected the defense.

That's not even close to the truth. Josephs first Job is to revamp the secondary. You can't make a push for a superbowl anymore without a great secondary. Just look at the teams in the conference championship the last few years.

Between developing, Howard, Ekpre, lippet, Jordan, McCain, his hands will be completely full. The front 7 will get revamped in free agency and the draft next year. For the short term it's fine.

I had no hope in contending for a playoff spot this year, after this draft and seeing the teams plan to rebuild, I do now. This plan makes sense, even if we didn't think this was how we Would go about it. This is a legitimate plan IMO.

If Miami liked Carroo that much, why didn’t they draft him at 73? If Drake isn’t returning kicks, why pass on Kenneth Dixon? If Drake is returning kicks, why trade up for Jakeem Grant? While this aspect of the draft could have gone much smoother.

This is the part that I cant figure out and remains the biggest question to me. I really thought the pick was going to be Dixon.
Huh

There were several announcers/draft experts that had Drake ahead of Dixon, apparently so did the Dolphins. And maybe they didn't think Grant would be available, but when the trade up opportunity presented itself they took it.

Just wanted to add one more thing.

A lot of ppl have an idea that we neglected the defense.

That's not even close to the truth. Josephs first Job is to revamp the secondary. You can't make a push for a superbowl anymore without a great secondary. Just look at the teams in the conference championship the last few years.

Between developing, Howard, Ekpre, lippet, Jordan, McCain, his hands will be completely full. The front 7 will get revamped in free agency and the draft next year. For the short term it's fine.

I had no hope in contending for a playoff spot this year, after this draft and seeing the teams plan to rebuild, I do now. This plan makes sense, even if we didn't think this was how we Would go about it. This is a legitimate plan IMO.

I think it's clear that defense was the direction in the first until Tannenbum hired somebody to hack Tunsil's Twitter. That would have resulted in a more balanced draft overall, depending on how it impacted the 2nd round pick. My guess (hope) is it would have been Jack, then still Howard.

I'm curious who people think is Drake's NFL equivalent. Is a cross between CJ Spiller and Dion Lewis a fair comparison?

Earlier I said Harvey Williams. Another back with a similar build and speed is Reggie Bush. Maybe think Reggie with half the elusiveness Bush had. Remember when Reggie came here people said he couldn't run between the tackles at 6'0 205. Drake is 6'1 210, both have bodies built more like receivers than traditional backs.

ESPNNFL: "He's a poor man's Reggie Bush." - @MelKiperESPN on Kenyan Drake https://t.co/MnUKm5A7s9 - 2016-04-30 02:11:00
Read more at http://twicsy.com/i/oGYoCj#FrQyKGbBuuzsFwJM.99

There you go, now it's official. So basically we drafted Reggie Bush lite and mini Tavon Austin.

Last edited by a moderator:
J-Off You need to take this to any of the S Fla. Papers (take your pick) and demand a job! They'd be stupid not to hire you and you'd have a nice fan base here behind you. Nice job!

The Drake pick was puzzling. We really don't have a replacement if Ajayi goes down. Still hoping they sign Foster.

I believe that will happen(Foster).....when he gets medically cleared.

I actually love the change of pace aspect of Drake, and the home run hitting ability as a receiver and 3rd down back.

Back
Top Bottom