J-Off's 2016 Draft Review for the Miami Dolphins | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J-Off's 2016 Draft Review for the Miami Dolphins

this is well done but my thoughts are you put way too much emphasis on test scores and not enough on tape and that you are gonna learn that lesson

SPARQ scores aren't your typical numbers.

A lot of the best players in the NFL have very high SPARQ scores.

Not sure why everyone is pushing for Arian Foster. The dude is done.

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

He's done as a bell cow, I agree. But if he's brought in to get 5-10 touches a game and mentor our very young RB core then that's invaluable I would think.

We should sign him as soon as his medical checks out, like that same day. Since we presumably traded all our comp picks next year, it shouldn't matter whether or not he's sign before or after June 1st anymore. Go get him right now.

Great write up J-Off. Like you the only questionable pick I see is that of Drake, here's to hoping he proves to us all why he was drafted sooner rather than later. Also, after watching a few vids on Duarte, is there any specific reason he dropped to the 7th?? He looks to have great hands and a smooth runner who isn't afraid of contact.

Kenneth Dixon posted more than twice as many total yards as Gillislee and about four times as many TD's. He tested better than Ezekiel Elliot. He's a talented receiver out of the backfield - among the most efficient in the draft. He has good vision and instincts, and he brings good size to the position. His 15 career receiving TD's total 11 more than Drake posted.

Building an NFL roster is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. It's not simply about acquiring the players that put up the best numbers, or that may seem to be a better athlete than another player.

It's about getting pieces to the puzzle. Knowing exactly what you're going to do on the field and drafting players that will allow you to employ that plan.

Look at teams like the NE patriots. They have a couple of stars and a bunch of role players. Third and short and need a 1st down... Give it to Blount the bruiser back. Third and 7 and need a first down, throw it to White the scat back out of the backfield. They employ those role players to take advantage of whatever matchup weakness they find in the opposition.

If you show you can't stop the run... The will pound you with blount.. Linebackers can't cover... they'll eat you alive with White and Edleman

If they drafted Drake.... they have a reason and a vision as to how he'll fit in their scheme.

SPARQ scores aren't your typical numbers.

A lot of the best players in the NFL have very high SPARQ scores.

Often the SPARQ scores are mistaken for the metric used by Seattle because of it being featured on Fieldgulls.com; it is not. SPARQ (Speed, Power, Agility, Reaction and Quickness) was developed by Nike in 2004 to create a standardized test for athleticism to sell training equipment and methods to help improve athleticism focused on the high school athlete. Other than being an advanced test to measure athletes, it is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

Building an NFL roster is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. It's not simply about acquiring the players that put up the best numbers, or that may seem to be a better athlete than another player.

It's about getting pieces to the puzzle. Knowing exactly what you're going to do on the field and drafting players that will allow you to employ that plan.

Look at teams like the NE patriots. They have a couple of stars and a bunch of role players. Third and short and need a 1st down... Give it to Blount the bruiser back. Third and 7 and need a first down, throw it to White the scat back out of the backfield. They employ those role players to take advantage of whatever matchup weakness they find in the opposition.

If you show you can't stop the run... The will pound you with blount.. Linebackers can't cover... they'll eat you alive with White and Edleman

If they drafted Drake.... they have a reason and a vision as to how he'll fit in their scheme.

Big difference between us and the Pats is that they stockpile draft picks for the future so they can draft whom they want for the future and not trade them away loke we just did. Do this long enough and you will have no picks. Much of this draft hupla has as much to do with that as the players they selected.

this is well done but my thoughts are you put way too much emphasis on test scores and not enough on tape and that you are gonna learn that lesson

Guessing you're referring to my takes on the Howard and Lucas picks? In general, I use SPARQ to give people a quick summary of a given player's athletic ability. As I've noted in the past, I don't think any decisions should be made based on SPARQ scores. For example, Lawson posted a higher SPARQ than Bosa, but I see Bosa's physical tools translating better, because he has elite agility; whereas, Lawson has no elite traits (just pretty good everywhere).

As someone who doesnt really follow college footbal, I was specifically waiting for you're take on this draft. I respect many's opinion on here but very few seem to post with no agenda whatsoever as you do... Thanks!

As someone who doesnt really follow college footbal, I was specifically waiting for you're take on this draft. I respect many's opinion on here but very few seem to post with no agenda whatsoever as you do... Thanks!

Maybe you have already done this but go to the draft forum Slimm and CKParrot only do the draft and list most of the pick ranked. Slimm has been pretty good on his projection in the past .

Guessing you're referring to my takes on the Howard and Lucas picks? In general, I use SPARQ to give people a quick summary of a given player's athletic ability. As I've noted in the past, I don't think any decisions should be made based on SPARQ scores. For example, Lawson posted a higher SPARQ than Bosa, but I see Bosa's physical tools translating better, because he has elite agility; whereas, Lawson has no elite traits (just pretty good everywhere).

I'm saying that when you say stuff like on howard for example "no CB presents a better combination of physical tools and polish than Xavien Howard. He’s a better athlete than Apple" none of that is evident on tape...maybe he tests a little better I don't know...but it's not apparent on tape

eli apple got picked top 10 by a none press scheme team because of his tools...wasn't even his ideal fit

that was just the example here I saw but I see a lot of emphasis on it in your analysis...reads to me as influence

Maybe you have already done this but go to the draft forum Slimm and CKParrot only do the draft and list most of the pick ranked. Slimm has been pretty good on his projection in the past .
Thanks I'll go take a look... And Im not taking anything away from those guys, as they might actually spend more time than J-off on this type of stuff... I just get the feeling that there are no bias involved in J's analysis and thats what Im looking for the most this time of year... Hope they dont take this the wrong way because they know alot more about footbal than I do and I respect their opinion, its just a matter of how the content is presented if you will. Really like hoops take as well...

Excellent write J-off-her-doll.Well done sir.

Hate seeing us trade with a divisional team especially the Pats...Glad to see you and some others are a lot higher then I am on this draft!

Tremendous write up J. Expect nothing less from you.

Not to mention if you want to a draft a press corner high, you want to see a high Sparq score with that player.

Apple didn't even bother to do most of the combine tests and didn't do them at his pro day either. That's a huge red flag for me. The only reason you skip those tests is if you know you will test badly.

yeah so badly you get picked top 10 and first corner in the class :lol:

anyways I don't want to hijack this thread...said my piece

Back
Top Bottom