J-Off's 2024 OT's | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums
How do you feel about Morgan? I really liked what I saw from his video. I'm surprised that @j-off-her-doll isn't higher on him. My perfect player for Miami at 21 would be Troy Fautanu. I think he would plug right in at guard as a rookie and then make an easy transition to left tackle when Armstead retires. If I had to rate the tackles, I would go 1. Fashanu 2. Alt 3. Fautanu 4. Latham 5. Fuaga 6. Morgan 7. Guyton 8. Mims. I don't like Barton as a tackle and wasn't impressed with Suamataia either.
I like Morgan a great deal... he's third on my list of first year Guard, second year Tackles. Sumataia is 4th there.
I think both are 'safe' picks... solid, well tutored players who, at worst, will end up as starting Guards.
Morgan, I think, was headed to being a 1st round pick last year, then tore his ACL late... but came back and played anyway. Tough guy. I think he may end up better than the more highly touted 'athletes'.
Athletes being Mims and Guyton. These two are huge, athletic... and with limited experience. Plus, since both are so freaking tall, they are boom or bust at Tackle. They won't play anywhere else on the line.

I won't cry if we draft Mims or Guyton, because the team will have talked with these two and will have an idea if they are smart enough to grasp the things that they don't do intuitively yet.
But both are definitely projects... how's your capacity for risk? Bechton was a project too...

How do you feel about Morgan? I really liked what I saw from his video. I'm surprised that @j-off-her-doll isn't higher on him. My perfect player for Miami at 21 would be Troy Fautanu. I think he would plug right in at guard as a rookie and then make an easy transition to left tackle when Armstead retires. If I had to rate the tackles, I would go 1. Fashanu 2. Alt 3. Fautanu 4. Latham 5. Fuaga 6. Morgan 7. Guyton 8. Mims. I don't like Barton as a tackle and wasn't impressed with Suamataia either.

Do you have Morgan as a Top 20 player? Because I think I'm pretty high on him - IOL #3, Top 40 grade, and I haven't posted it yet, but I have him #22 overall. I think I'm relatively high on him.

Do you have Morgan as a Top 20 player? Because I think I'm pretty high on him - IOL #3, Top 40 grade, and I haven't posted it yet, but I have him #22 overall. I think I'm relatively high on him.
I'm not sure that I rate players the same way that you do. I'm more into specific fit to Miami, and of the prevailing attitude of the NFL to where a player will fall.
Morgan, for instance, I believe is an excellent fit to Miami, being well suited to zone blocking and with a G/T skillset.
I think this is less important to many teams, so they won't value him as highly as I think we will. So, I guess he's top 20 on my board, but maybe not on the NFL's board as a whole.
I hope that makes sense.
For me... Morgan is the trade down target. I might be reluctant to take him at #21, because I think he probably will fall a bit... maybe into the top of the second round.
I'd love to move our pick to a team seeking defense... and still get my guy.

Sometimes this explodes in your face and you lose your guy... but there are other guys, and the draft is a poker game... it's why teams lie so much about who they like. Hell, since Monday we've been linked to at least 5 guys in the first. I bet we don't like 4 of them.

I'm not sure that I rate players the same way that you do. I'm more into specific fit to Miami, and of the prevailing attitude of the NFL to where a player will fall.
Morgan, for instance, I believe is an excellent fit to Miami, being well suited to zone blocking and with a G/T skillset.
I think this is less important to many teams, so they won't value him as highly as I think we will. So, I guess he's top 20 on my board, but maybe not on the NFL's board as a whole.
I hope that makes sense.
For me... Morgan is the trade down target. I might be reluctant to take him at #21, because I think he probably will fall a bit... maybe into the top of the second round.
I'd love to move our pick to a team seeking defense... and still get my guy.

Sometimes this explodes in your face and you lose your guy... but there are other guys, and the draft is a poker game... it's why teams lie so much about who they like. Hell, since Monday we've been linked to at least 5 guys in the first. I bet we don't like 4 of them.

My boards are specific to Miami based on fit. It sounds like you're pretty close to where I am on him. Which players do you have him ranked ahead of?

Ahh. I didn’t realize you had Morgan listed as an interior guy. I didn’t see him on your tackle list. I think he can play tackle. Do you have reservations about him as a tackle?

Ahh. I didn’t realize you had Morgan listed as an interior guy. I didn’t see him on your tackle list. I think he can play tackle. Do you have reservations about him as a tackle?

Biggest concern would be length - with arms under 33". I think he and Barton can play OT in a pinch, but they project better inside.

I would just go down the list you see here. But, I do have Fautanu as an OG ahead of Fashanu and Fuaga, and Fautanu could kick out to play OT, but as an OT, I'd rate him lower than those two - if that makes sense.
How about the kid from Yale or BYU? Could either of them play G and then LT when Armstead retires?

Biggest concern would be length - with arms under 33". I think he and Barton can play OT in a pinch, but they project better inside.
Wasn’t that the narrative with Rashawn Slater? I’m hoping we can draft Fautanu. Just makes too much sense from what everyone is saying on our boards. JPJ sounds like a home run as well but I don’t see that happening with us signing Brewer. I just don’t want to Grier screw up this pick.

Wasn’t that the narrative with Rashawn Slater? I’m hoping we can draft Fautanu. Just makes too much sense from what everyone is saying on our boards. JPJ sounds like a home run as well but I don’t see that happening with us signing Brewer. I just don’t want to Grier screw up this pick.

Slater met the 33" threshold, and he's a different caliber athlete than Morgan, so I see them as different in that way - mostly strength and athleticism. Slater was also more refined/better.

My boards are specific to Miami based on fit. It sounds like you're pretty close to where I am on him. Which players do you have him ranked ahead of?

If we make the pick at #21, I think he's out, and we'll take Mims or Guyton. I'd rather not, because these two are not guards, but the team may be tired of juggling Armstead and swing for the fences.

So... my board is probably

Latham at 15-21. (Yes, we'd have to give up a 2025 pick to swing the move)
Fautanu at 21 (if available)
Morgan (after a trade down)
Sumataia (after a trade down)

If we make the pick at #21, I think he's out, and we'll take Mims or Guyton. I'd rather not, because these two are not guards, but the team may be tired of juggling Armstead and swing for the fences.

So... my board is probably

Latham at 15-21. (Yes, we'd have to give up a 2025 pick to swing the move)
Fautanu at 21 (if available)
Morgan (after a trade down)
Sumataia (after a trade down)

What would you do if Latham and Fautanu are off the board, and you can't trade down? It seems like you like Morgan enough to draft him at 21. I'd be fine with Morgan at 21. There will be players I prefer available and on a higher tier, but Morgan is at the top of the next group for me, and I like the fit.

What would you do if Latham and Fautanu are off the board, and you can't trade down? It seems like you like Morgan enough to draft him at 21. I'd be fine with Morgan at 21. There will be players I prefer available and on a higher tier, but Morgan is at the top of the next group for me, and I like the fit.
I'd do it... but I wouldn't love it.

I'd do it... but I wouldn't love it.
Yeah, but they are going to have to take someone at 21 in that scenario. Their next best option might be to pivot to a higher rated player at a position of need like DT where the better players at that position will be available. Taking a DT that high wouldn't be ideal either.

Back
Top Bottom