J-Off's 2024 OT's | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums
He was the #1 at Georgia and Texas

He's just been a super low-volume player. The talent is there, no question, that talent alone has a certain value. But, you do have to account for why he was a low-volume player. Opportunities were there; you're right. But, why is a player of his talent so seldom used in the passing game? I think his focus varies. He quits on routes frequently. That's why Buffalo and KC are appealing. He'd start as a low-volume vertical receiver and figures to be a pretty immediate upgrade over MVS or the now-Jaguar Gabe Davis. And, if he's capable of improving his focus, and becoming a player who can absorb a heavier workload, he'll find it in KC.

I can see an argument for him in Miami, as something similar, but it's not the way I'd go. His poor Instincts as a runner take certain things off the table imo and those certain things are what Miami needs - specifically the roles/areas of the field. I think he'll be better with someone else, and Miami would be better with Brenden Rice or Javon Baker in the 2nd.

Back to OL, Mina Kimes did a 1st RD mock with Danny Kelly (sp?), and they had Latham and Bowers as the top options available for Miami. They picked Latham.

I'd be thrilled with either, but Bowers is a pretty easy call for me. I don't care that he has some similar strengths to Jonnu Smith. Bowers has those strengths and then some.

I have a hard time seeing either there, but they had more Edges, DT's, and CB's going Top 20 than I do. Hope they're right.

Bowers at 21 would be ideal. If we trade back I would want to take Rice in the third round.

I finished my top 100 rankings. I will post them in the next week.

He was the #1 at Georgia and Texas
He had 38 catches for less than 600 yards in 21 games at UGA.

Even his breakout year at UT was 55 catches for less than 900 yards.

I don't think he has done enough production wise to be that confident that he is going to blow up in the NFL.

He has the talent and has shown flashes sure, but I worry about his competitiveness and work ethic.

He was in college for 3 years. One year he barely played. He had more TDs in college than Ladd.

I am not saying he is going to be great. All I am saying is he is and has been better than Ladd McConkey.

He shows up in the biggest games against the best competition. I can’t say the same for McConkey.

This is what you need to do. Google both vs Alabama. Watch them play against those 2 stud corners. Then come back and tell me what you saw.

Last edited:
If I had to decide between Latham and Bowers, we'd have a new Tackle before the ESPN crew had even brought up the Dolphins graphic.

If I had to decide between Latham and Bowers, we'd have a new Tackle before the ESPN crew had even brought up the Dolphins graphic.
I can’t argue with your logic but I just couldn’t pass on Bowers. He would make this offense unstoppable.

I can’t argue with your logic but I just couldn’t pass on Bowers. He would make this offense unstoppable.
I don't believe that.

I know a lot of people like him... but I just don't think an H-back type of TE carries anything near the value of a starting Tackle in the NFL.

More on Latham... the knock on him in the press is the idea that as a really stout OT, his best position would be RT or even G (where some say he could be all-pro).

So he drops a bit with the LT bias of the NFL.

We have a left-handed QB... and most teams have a quality pass rusher on both sides now, so personally... I'm much less worried that he's thought of as being a RT first.

I lot of folks love the idea of Fautanu as a first year Guard, second year tackle... I do too, but I'd take Latham over Fautanu in a hot second.

If Latham drops... he's a gift, and he might.

Last thought... Zierlein, a guy that I respect a great deal, has Latham rated ahead of Alt.

Ladd seemed to be banged up a lot in college. How many games did he miss? That doesn’t usually improve as prospects advance to the NFL. He is a little dude

Mitchell is a big boy. But even at his pro day he had several drops. Higher ceiling than Ladd, though.

Both seem a bit risky for the Fins at 21

Ladd seemed to be banged up a lot in college. How many games did he miss? That doesn’t usually improve as prospects advance to the NFL. He is a little dude

Mitchell is a big boy. But even at his pro day he had several drops. Higher ceiling than Ladd, though.

Both seem a bit risky for the Fins at 21

To my knowledge, none of McConkey's injuries suggest he'd be prone to re-injury. He's similar in size to Antonio Brown, Garrett Wilson, and Emmanuel Sanders - thicker than Olave. If he fails to stay healthy as a pro, size probably won't be the reason. On a per-route basis, McConkey was one of the best WR's in CFB in 2023 - much, much closer to MHJ and Malik Nabers than Mitchell. Combination of injuries, Georgia having a lot of talented players, Georgia winning by a lot most of the time, and Georgia running the ball a lot led to his number of routes being much smaller than the most of the receivers, but literally no one in the class gets open better than McConkey, and his RAC is up there with the best, as well, and that's why he was so good.

Mitchell is very talented. There's no denying that. There's also no denying that his focus, effort, and RAC are particularly poor and explain a significant portion of the gap between his talent and production.

I like WR's who have somewhere to be, and Miami likes WR's who can do something after the catch.

Mitchell is very talented. There's no denying that. There's also no denying that his focus, effort, and RAC are particularly poor and explain a significant portion of the gap between his talent and production.
That is my issue with Mitchell.

You have to wonder how likely is any of that to change once he starts gets paid 1st Round NFL money.

I expect he will show flashes and tease what he could become but never get there.

Sataoa Laumea would be a solid late round guy who probably is best at G but could play OT if needed.

More on Latham... the knock on him in the press is the idea that as a really stout OT, his best position would be RT or even G (where some say he could be all-pro).

So he drops a bit with the LT bias of the NFL.

We have a left-handed QB... and most teams have a quality pass rusher on both sides now, so personally... I'm much less worried that he's thought of as being a RT first.

I lot of folks love the idea of Fautanu as a first year Guard, second year tackle... I do too, but I'd take Latham over Fautanu in a hot second.

If Latham drops... he's a gift, and he might.

Last thought... Zierlein, a guy that I respect a great deal, has Latham rated ahead of Alt.
How do you feel about Morgan? I really liked what I saw from his video. I'm surprised that @j-off-her-doll isn't higher on him. My perfect player for Miami at 21 would be Troy Fautanu. I think he would plug right in at guard as a rookie and then make an easy transition to left tackle when Armstead retires. If I had to rate the tackles, I would go 1. Fashanu 2. Alt 3. Fautanu 4. Latham 5. Fuaga 6. Morgan 7. Guyton 8. Mims. I don't like Barton as a tackle and wasn't impressed with Suamataia either.

Back
Top Bottom