J-Off's 2024 OT's | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums
This OT class has a LOT of great RTs.

I wonder do we dare take one and have AJax go back to LT...
He finally found a home on the right side so i don't think I would move him.

I think Mims or Fautanu or Guyton or Morgan could all play on the left side.

I would guess they played LT in HS and should not be set in their ways to not be able to move back.

Hell, Mims has played less than 10 games at RT to begin with.

I think Latham and Paul would struggle to move more than the others.

Day 1: Mims, Alt (True OTs); Rosengarten, Suamataia (general OL)
Day 2 talents: Frank Crum, Olu Fashanu, Tyler Guyton, (true OT); Christian Jones (general OL)

Fautanu had a great combine. 34.5" arms, 5.01 40 (5th among all OL), 1.71 10yd split (3rd), 33" vertical. Looked great in on field drills - very smooth, but explosive. Only thing is he's 6'3 1/2" - perfect for a guard, but would be one of the shortest LT's in the league. Still, a starting LG, and LT in a pinch doesn't sound bad. Neither does a Rashawn Slater type.

Day 1: Mims, Alt (True OTs); Rosengarten, Suamataia (general OL)
Day 2 talents: Frank Crum, Olu Fashanu, Tyler Guyton, (true OT); Christian Jones (general OL)

Your evals are always interesting... and waaaaay out of the box.

When you rate a guy like Rosengarten (who will likely fall into round three or so), and Crum (a guy who most have listed as late day 3) so highly... It makes me wonder... "Do you think that NFL teams should draft purely on size and combine measurements? Or do you see any value on how these guys have performed in actual games?

Your evals are always interesting... and waaaaay out of the box.

When you rate a guy like Rosengarten (who will likely fall into round three or so), and Crum (a guy who most have listed as late day 3) so highly... It makes me wonder... "Do you think that NFL teams should draft purely on size and combine measurements? Or do you see any value on how these guys have performed in actual games?

Teams should almost exclusively draft based on measurements. There is room for tape watching and coaches' input, but only after the measurements are satisfied.

For example, Tanor Bartolini is the only center worthy of Day 1 conversation. JPJ did not test, therefore he is undraftable, and nowhere near Day 1 conversation. Or to make the point even more drastic, Marvin Harrison Jr. did not test, he is undraftable.

Last edited:
Teams should almost exclusively draft based on measurements. There is room for tape watching and coaches' input, but only after the measurements are satisfied.

For example, Tanor Bartolini is the only center worthy of Day 1 conversation. JPJ did not test, therefore he is undraftable, and nowhere near Day 1 conversation. Or to make the point even more drastic, Marvin Harrison Jr. did not test, he is undraftable.
So... by your definition... Bartolini and Crum will be successful players in the NFL... and JPJ and Harrison will not?

So... by your definition... Bartolini and Crum will be successful players in the NFL... and JPJ and Harrison will not?

No. Bartolini and Crum will be successful with almost 100% certainty, we know that. We do not know about JPJ and Harrison, they did not test. It's about knowing and not guessing. When they test we know, and when they do not test we do not know.

How do 'we know this'?

There are guys who excel at the combine, then fail badly every year.

How do 'we know this'?

There are guys who excel at the combine, then fail badly every year.

We know it from history, and no they do not fail badly, but there are outliers always. (Some positions like QB ad WR also depend on production in college. Also, for QBs, picking a QB has nothing to do with whether he will be great, it's not a pure projection because we have no idea who will be great.)

We know it from history, and no they do not fail badly, but there are outliers always. (Some positions like QB ad WR also depend on production in college. Also, for QBs, picking a QB has nothing to do with whether he will be great, it's not a pure projection because we have no idea who will be great.)

As a 'for instance', I looked up your choices from last year. I didn't dig very far, but a number of them didn't produce much at all.

Your first round grades DEs were Dexter, White, and Adebawore
Your Edges were Diaby and Anderson.

The Edges did pretty well, but none of your DEs did much (btw, they were drafted in rounds 2, 2, and 4).

I think your are overreacting to size/speed ratios and performances on the track. These areas are just part of an evaluation.

Intelligence, instincts, being open to coaching... all matter too, although they are hard to quantify.

As a 'for instance', I looked up your choices from last year. I didn't dig very far, but a number of them didn't produce much at all.

Your first round grades DEs were Dexter, White, and Adebawore
Your Edges were Diaby and Anderson.

The Edges did pretty well, but none of your DEs did much (btw, they were drafted in rounds 2, 2, and 4).

I think your are overreacting to size/speed ratios and performances on the track. These areas are just part of an evaluation.

Intelligence, instincts, being open to coaching... all matter too, although they are hard to quantify.

I am very happy with last year's defensive ranking and offensive ranking for that matter. I would not change a thing.

Then I suspect that you are just not open to information that contradicts your belief system...

But thanks for answering.

Then I suspect that you are just not open to information that contradicts your belief system...

But thanks for answering.
I am interested, but it has to be someone who did not make my list, tested during the process, and then performed well in the league, but I missed him. So that I can check what the problem is, otherwise, no, I am not open to so called information.

Back
Top Bottom