J-Off's 2024 QB's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

j-off-her-doll

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Top 5

1. Drake Maye - UNC

Reminds me of a blend of Allen and Herbert, with the potential to be better than either. The floor feels extremely high for Maye, even as he grows into his talent, and, of course, the ceiling is high, as well. He could handle pressure better, but he's in range with Daniels here (much better vs pressure than Williams), and Nix and McCarthy are the only two who played significantly better vs pressure. But, for my money, he's the best combination of tools and process in this class.

2. Caleb Williams - USC

Supreme throwing talent and instincts, but I worry that he thinks he's already arrived. He was horrific under pressure in 2023. Still, his combination of playmaking ability and the aforementioned throwing talent is hard to ignore. And, for a guy with so much talent and success, he has a lot of experience/live reps.

Can blame some of his issues on the offense and OL. So long as he has the right mindset, he has easy #1 overall talent and skill. Obviously most people have him #1, and if I weren't so high on Maye, I'd feel great having William #1.

Top 10

3. Jayden Daniels - LSU

Takes too many sacks (like Williams), but (like Williams), his explosive playmaking compensates for the negative plays. In Daniels case, he led one of the most explosive offenses in CFB history. He's an explosive runner and a sharp, accurate passer - with the ability to layer throws. Thinner than ideal, but his speed and quickness mitigate that some.

4. Bo Nix - Oregon

Not as aggressive as any of the above QB's, but he makes good plays at a higher clip, and shows a good understanding of what's needed. He's the best QB in the class vs pressure and the only QB without an area that needs clear improvement. Quick release, quick feet, decisive, very rarely made negative plays, playmaker outside the pocket and vs pressure. Arm talent somewhere between Prescott and Carr.

5. JJ McCarthy - Michigan

Best QB in the draft on 3rd and long in 2023, he plays with excellent poise, which is noteworthy, because he has the fewest pass attempts of the top QB's. We only got to see what he could do in flashes, but the flashes look great. After Daniels, he's probably the fastest QB in this group. The only concerns are inexperience and thinness.

100+

6. Spencer Rattler - South Carolina

Based on pure throwing talent, Rattler is closer to Williams and Maye than the other guys. I think he showed a ton of growth at South Carolina - both in toughness and processing. He made a number of excellent throws while getting absolutely blasted. It's hard to evaluate him, because that South Carolina OL was so bad. On the negative side, he takes too many sacks, and he's small while being just OK as an athlete. His ability to deliver throws downfield while getting crushed reminds me of Tannehill on the Titans, but he's smaller, and it's hard for anyone to last while taking shots like that.

7. Michael Penix Jr - Washington

Love his ability to avoid sacks while maintaining an aggressive approach. I don't like how he throws or how wonky he gets vs pressure. While he's good at avoiding sacks, he doesn't have the tools (or instincts?) to become a playmaker vs pressure. Arm strength is good, and he does have a quick release. Feet are all over the place and his game in general lacks precision, which is a big deal to me, because he doesn't have the athleticism to win consistently outside of structure.

(💐💐 for Slimm)

Last edited:
Tez Walker's performance at senior bowl helped Drake Maye. I don't think it was enough to overlook Drake's borderline completion percentage, tons of sacks, lack of scoring and overall depressing quarterbacking in his last season.

Last edited:
I saw somewhere that a third of his passes were behind the line of scrimmage.

Freakin great QB class. It's not often there's 7 guys with legit NFL potential. Def a year to look at the sleepers.

It's interesting because none of them are no brainers like the world is making Williams out to be. All of those guys have warts that will equal disaster with bad coaching.

I'm so happy to see Caleb not number 1 here. He is easily one of the most overhyped prospects in recent memory and I just don't understand it. His play under pressure and against good competition leaves a lot more questions than answers.

Oddly, I see a lot of Jameis Winston.......that isn't a compliment.

Thanks for the lists J
From the games ive watched, I think Jayden Daniels is a better long term prospect than Caleb Williams.
I like your Drake Maye write up, I've told my friends I see him as a more cerebral Josh Allen.
I like Penix #4 on your list, my only concern with him is his knee injury history, I think he throws the best ball of everyone listed.
I think Bo Nix is going to be an offensive coordinator or head coach within the next 10-15 years, I've never been overtly impressed with him. He's been starting in college football since W Bush was in office, if he had the sauce he would be in the NFL already in my opinion.

Thanks for the lists J
From the games ive watched, I think Jayden Daniels is a better long term prospect than Caleb Williams.
I like your Drake Maye write up, I've told my friends I see him as a more cerebral Josh Allen.
I like Penix #4 on your list, my only concern with him is his knee injury history, I think he throws the best ball of everyone listed.
I think Bo Nix is going to be an offensive coordinator or head coach within the next 10-15 years, I've never been overtly impressed with him. He's been starting in college football since W Bush was in office, if he had the sauce he would be in the NFL already in my opinion.

My pleasure! Williams requires more projection than advertised, and it wouldn't surprise me if Daniels ends up the better player. If Williams goes to a spot, though, where he's properly developed, and he takes to that development, he and Maye have arm talent the rest of these guys just don't. But, I'm not mad at anyone who is out on him.

Michael Penix Jr is 3 months younger than Nix and has been in CFB since 2018 (2019 for Nix), so I don't quite follow your reasoning there. Nix imo is better, and he's clearly more athletic and a better playmaker under pressure.

My pleasure! Williams requires more projection than advertised, and it wouldn't surprise me if Daniels ends up the better player. If Williams goes to a spot, though, where he's properly developed, and he takes to that development, he and Maye have arm talent the rest of these guys just don't. But, I'm not mad at anyone who is out on him.

Michael Penix Jr is 3 months younger than Nix and has been in CFB since 2018 (2019 for Nix), so I don't quite follow your reasoning there. Nix imo is better, and he's clearly more athletic and a better playmaker under pressure.

Penix suffered that acl injury at Indiana a few years ago which is why i think he stayed in college as long as he did.

Nix and McCarthy in good company. To me this stat indicates style of play as well as ability. You want a QB who uses his legs to his advantage, rather than relying on them to cover up his shortcomings, and you want a QB who understands how to avoid negative plays.

Everything exists on a balance, so there are ways to overcome taking sacks, and running too much isn't the end of the world. But, it's definitely something to weigh when considering these QB's.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216_065307_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240216_065307_Chrome.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom