J-Off's 2024 QB's | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums
Wow. That speaks highly for McCarthy.

I like him a lot. Inexperience, a slight build, and a great group of QB's are the only thing keeping him at 5 for me, and all of the Top 5 will at least be Top 20 grades (for me).

Forgot that I already mentioned his build and experience in the write up šŸ™ƒ Based on consensus rankings (he's somewhere around 30), he's an excellent value. If Atlanta took him at 8, I'd say, that's a great pick - same for Nix. Denver and Minnesota are also great spots for each. Nix is currently ranked somewhere in the mid 30s overall. Again, for me, both these guys have way more NFL-level answers than their consensus rankings indicate.

Last edited:
I like him a lot. Inexperience, a slight build, and a great group of QB's are the only thing keeping him at 5 for me, and all of the Top 5 will at least be Top 20 grades (for me).

Forgot that I already mentioned his build and experience in the write up šŸ™ƒ Based on consensus rankings (he's somewhere around 30), he's an excellent value. If Atlanta took him at 8, I'd say, that's a great pick - same for Nix. Denver and Minnesota are also great spots for each. Nix is currently ranked somewhere in the mid 30s overall. Again, for me, both these guys have way more NFL-level answers than their consensus rankings indicate.
I like him a lot as well. It's pretty noticeable how well McCarthy throws on the run. I think that off script talent will serve him well.

I wonder if he would have gone back to Mich without the National Title AND Harbaugh leaving?

Another year and he looks like the top QB in that class.

Throwing well on the move has become incredibly important to an NFL QB's fortunes.

It is the area where Tua could really improve.
Agree. Tua has a lot going for him. I'd definitely move forward with him. But McCarthy would be interesting if he's at 21. I love quarterbacks who can make plays with their legs and athletic ability. That's not really Tua's skillset.

Doesn't look like McCarthy will get out of the top 12, though.

Tua has always been a little robotic - somewhat similar to Peyton Manning in that regard. They're not the kinds of QB's who will change arm slots or become a playmaker when things break down. Tua did show more of that at Alabama, but I think he's still not the athlete he was prior to the hip injury.

Of the Top 5, Daniels may be the shakiest in this area. He has the ability, and he makes a ton of plays, but he also takes some negative plays that he probably shouldn't. I'd still rate him a net positive because of his playmaking, and him being the lowest says more about the other QB's than him. All the Top 5 QB's are really talented and can make plays in and out of structure.

Tua has always been a little robotic - somewhat similar to Peyton Manning in that regard. They're not the kinds of QB's who will change arm slots or become a playmaker when things break down. Tua did show more of that at Alabama, but I think he's still not the athlete he was prior to the hip injury.

Of the Top 5, Daniels may be the shakiest in this area. He has the ability, and he makes a ton of plays, but he also takes some negative plays that he probably shouldn't. I'd still rate him a net positive because of his playmaking, and him being the lowest says more about the other QB's than him. All the Top 5 QB's are really talented and can make plays in and out of structure.
Here's the question I'm asking myself. Is it better to give Tua the franchise tag and draft a quarterback (McCarthy, Nix) to compete and possibly take over in 2025?

I'm a Tua fan, but agree that his athleticism has taken a hit. Those off structure plays are meaningful and determine games. An extra second or two to find Hill and Waddle etc.

Let me be clear, because I know there are plenty of Tua haters here, I do think Miami can win with Tua.

But I think it's fair to talk about concerns. Injuries the primary.

Nix and McCarthy in good company. To me this stat indicates style of play as well as ability. You want a QB who uses his legs to his advantage, rather than relying on them to cover up his shortcomings, and you want a QB who understands how to avoid negative plays.

Everything exists on a balance, so there are ways to overcome taking sacks, and running too much isn't the end of the world. But, it's definitely something to weigh when considering these QB's.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting for sure.

Here's the question I'm asking myself. Is it better to give Tua the franchise tag and draft a quarterback (McCarthy, Nix) to compete and possibly take over in 2025?

I'm a Tua fan, but agree that his athleticism has taken a hit. Those off structure plays are meaningful and determine games. An extra second or two to find Hill and Waddle etc.

Let me be clear, because I know there are plenty of Tua haters here, I do think Miami can win with Tua.

But I think it's fair to talk about concerns. Injuries the primary.
Absolutely agree with this. I need to know if Tua given a little more time will achieve. As of now its read and get ball out for reasons we don't have to get into. Can Tua create and receivers when oft script.

Absolutely agree with this. I need to know if Tua given a little more time will achieve. As of now its read and get ball out for reasons we don't have to get into. Can Tua create and receivers when oft script.
Exactly. Also, it's fair to point out that Miami's offensive line absolutely has to get better whether it's Tua or someone else under center.

It's not lost on me either that Tua's leading the NFL in passing yards was quite an accomplishment behind this offensive line.

Still...could McCarthy, who I don't think makes it to 21 anyway, or Nix be potential upgrades?

Exactly. Also, it's fair to point out that Miami's offensive line absolutely has to get better whether it's Tua or someone else under center.

It's not lost on me either that Tua's leading the NFL in passing yards was quite an accomplishment behind this offensive line.

Still...could McCarthy, who I don't think makes it to 21 anyway, or Nix be potential upgrades?
I m really like McCarthy personally. The kid has a calmness about him. Doesn't seem to get overwhelmed by the moment.

I m really like McCarthy personally. The kid has a calmness about him. Doesn't seem to get overwhelmed by the moment.
Agree. Maybe both are gone before Miami picks anyway. None of the others beyond those top four excites me either.

Melton late, and gambling on his size/athletic profile, might not be a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom