J-Off's 2024 WR's | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums
Cynthia Frelund (sp) has Miami taking Coleman at 21. Interesting pick. I like a few better, especially that high but Coleman might be the best redzone option in the draft. He is also physical and can break tackles, not Deebo but can get YAC.

My main concern with Coleman is he doesn't separate that well, but he's 6-4 and definitely plays above the rim.

Another factor, if Miami can't get a receiving upgrade at TE, Thomas or Coleman at least give you a redzone upgrade on the current roster.

I don't like the idea of Coleman for Miami at all.

As SF pointed out he does not separate well and you can't make a living in the NFL winning 50/50 battles with your athleticism, at least not enough to justify taking him that high.

Wonder where Ja'Lynn Polk lands , really like his overall skillset and size.

Per nfldraftbuzz.com:

Scouting Report: Strengths​

• Renowned for his exceptional hand strength, Polk displays a remarkable ability to secure and maintain control of the ball in contested catch situations
  • His superior ball skills and body control make him a reliable target.
  • Displays physicality in routes and at the catch point, using his size/strength to overpower defenders.
  • Boasts an impressive catch radius and excels at high-pointing excellent red zone targets.
  • Demonstrates excellent balance and a tenacious running style, had good RAC ability
  • Nice route precision and ability to quickly shift from receiver to runner
  • Proven effectiveness both inside as a slot receiver and on the perimeter, versatile playmaker

Last edited:
Cynthia Frelund (sp) has Miami taking Coleman at 21. Interesting pick. I like a few better, especially that high but Coleman might be the best redzone option in the draft. He is also physical and can break tackles, not Deebo but can get YAC.

My main concern with Coleman is he doesn't separate that well, but he's 6-4 and definitely plays above the rim.

Another factor, if Miami can't get a receiving upgrade at TE, Thomas or Coleman at least give you a redzone upgrade on the current roster.

Agree with you and Jim that separation is the big issue for Coleman. And, that issue really throttled his production. Of all the WR's listed, Coleman is 2nd worst in yards per route run - 1.74. Adonai Mitchell was barely worse, 1.72. Now, comparing Coleman to Mitchell, Coleman is actually good after the catch, and Mitchell is better at getting open.

To be clear, I don't think either is AS bad as those numbers indicate. Those are UDFA numbers, and QB issues hurt both - FSU's QB suffering an injury, and Ewers being bad at throwing the ball downfield.

But, relative to where each is currently projected, I'm all the way out on both - as you can see by the players ranked ahead of them.

Wonder where Ja'Lynn Polk lands , really like his overall skillset and size.

Polk is solid. I think he'd kind of be like a Cracraft in this offense. He'd make some tough catches to move the chains, and I think he's more talented than Cracraft, but I don't think he'll be dynamic in the NFL. He's not a real deep threat, and he's just OK after the catch. He's not going to trip over his feet and fall down right away, but he's not going to turn a lot of short passes into big gains. Chain-movers have value, but you don't pay a premium for them.

Polk is solid. I think he'd kind of be like a Cracraft in this offense. He'd make some tough catches to move the chains, and I think he's more talented than Cracraft, but I don't think he'll be dynamic in the NFL. He's not a real deep threat, and he's just OK after the catch. He's not going to trip over his feet and fall down right away, but he's not going to turn a lot of short passes into big gains. Chain-movers have value, but you don't pay a premium for them.

Yeah I don't really see a second gear, or the shiftiness to get a lot of YAC, but everything else seems pretty solid.

Agree with you and Jim that separation is the big issue for Coleman. And, that issue really throttled his production. Of all the WR's listed, Coleman is 2nd worst in yards per route run - 1.74. Adonai Mitchell was barely worse, 1.72. Now, comparing Coleman to Mitchell, Coleman is actually good after the catch, and Mitchell is better at getting open.

To be clear, I don't think either is AS bad as those numbers indicate. Those are UDFA numbers, and QB issues hurt both - FSU's QB suffering an injury, and Ewers being bad at throwing the ball downfield.

But, relative to where each is currently projected, I'm all the way out on both - as you can see by the players ranked ahead of them.
Agree I wouldn't consider Coleman early. If he can't separate at the college level, it's only going to get worse in the NFL.

Some scouting reports indicate that the issue for Coleman could be connected to route running. In other words, maybe he get better there if he can sharpen those routes.

I do see some value, though. Kind of like Oronde Gadsden.

Agree I wouldn't consider Coleman early. If he can't separate at the college level, it's only going to get worse in the NFL.

Some scouting reports indicate that the issue for Coleman could be connected to route running. In other words, maybe he get better there if he can sharpen those routes.

I do see some value, though. Kind of like Oronde Gadsden.
There is also the possibility that Coleman was playing hurt.

He dropped off after a great start to the year and colleges don't share much injury info anymore.

Back
Top Bottom