Jackson and Iggy's 5th year options not getting picked up | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jackson and Iggy's 5th year options not getting picked up

Just out of curiosity, why would a team tell a player leading in to their 4th year that they are not picking up their 5th year option? Is there any benefit to the team? Wouldn't we want them to be motivated next season to potentially get that?

Dolphins declined to exercise OT Austin Jackson's fifth-year option.​

Jackson played in just two games last season after undergoing ankle surgery and has been woeful in his first three years when actually healthy enough to play. Declining this option was a no-brainer for the Dolphins. Jackson is set to enter the season as the team's starting right tackle, as he was last year before the ankle kept him out most of the year.

He goes in as the "projected" starter but that could change

Just out of curiosity, why would a team tell a player leading in to their 4th year that they are not picking up their 5th year option? Is there any benefit to the team? Wouldn't we want them to be motivated next season to potentially get that?
they have to do it.....it's not a choice to hide it from the player or to tell him......if you're picking up his option you have to do it no later than today

I still hold out hope for Jackson. Maybe a new offensive line coach (yes, another offensive line coach) can help him unlock his potential. I think he could be an average starter. That is my expectation.

Iggy might fit Fangio's defense, but I don't expect him to make the team. If he does, great. It means he stepped up his game in a big way.

Long-term, I think an upgrade is likely at RT. Hey, Miami has a 1st round pick next year!

Last edited:
His cap hit in 2023 is just over $4 million. Picking up his option for 2024 would have been over $14 million.
After three years he still hasn’t developed into the Tackle they hoped he would but they can always sign him to a new contract or even franchise him next year if he has a solid season in 2023.
Franchising a Left Tackle is significant money, even for a low rated player like Jackson.

I still hold out hope for Jackson. Maybe a new offensive line coach (yes, another offensive line coach) can help him unlock his potential. I think he could be an average starter. That is my expectation.

Iggy might fit Fangio's defense, but I don't expect him to make the team. If he does, great. It means he stepped up his game in a bug way.

Long-term, I think an upgrade is likely at RT. Hey, Miami has a 1st round pick next year!
SF, I doubt even the great Dante Scarnecchia could elevate Jackson’s play… especially when Jackson is unavailable so often. Scarnecchia is a major reason Brady was un touched most of his career.

Either Jackson finally shows what he should be able to do or we move on.....however, I have a sneaky suspicion this might come back and bite us.

It seems like a lot of first rounders from 2020 are not getting their options picked up. Really bad draft?
Not really. Since 70% of first round draft picks in every draft don’t end up remaining with the team that drafted them beyond their first contract, the 2020 draft wasn’t better or worse than other drafts. It was simply a very ordinary draft as they all are.

Franchising a Left Tackle is significant money, even for a low rated player like Jackson.
I agree but he doesn’t play left tackle for the Dolphins. He plays right tackle but I understand it’s a lot of money.

I merely pointed out that franchising him would be an option if he suddenly develops into a lot better player than he has been his first three years.

I think it is more likely they would try to sign him to a new contract in that situation but franchising any player after his contract expires is a option as long as they don’t have another player already on the franchise tag.

SF, I doubt even the great Dante Scarnecchia could elevate Jackson’s play… especially when Jackson is unavailable so often. Scarnecchia is a major reason Brady was un touched most of his career.
Maybe not. Definitely a make or break year for Jackson. It's a major question mark for Miami going into the season that much is true.

Wild they have faith in Jackson to solidify Tua's blind side but don't exercise his 5th year option. Something isn't computing here.
They have faith he is able to block for him... but not block for him for 5th year mega money rate lmao

Back
Top Bottom