Jake Long is on "shaky ground" with the Dolphins. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Long is on "shaky ground" with the Dolphins.

PolitePolite

Practice Squad
Reaction score
South Florida Sun-Sentinel columnist Mike Berardino believes LT Jake Long is on "shaky ground" with the Dolphins.

Berardino believes Long — who is entering the final year of his rookie contract — is "about to get caught in the vortex of this sweeping Dolphins overhaul." Miami drafted Stanford OT Jonathan Martin in the second round, and GM Jeff Ireland says the team is adopting a different philosophy along its line. "We're not going to be as much a power scheme as we've been in the past." However, Ireland also insisted Long can "transfer to any scheme." Berardino's dot connecting is not illogical, but we're skeptical an embattled organization like Miami will be willing to let a former No. 1 overall pick and four-time Pro Bowler get away.

Rotoworld.

This is unacceptable. Big Jake has been the best player on our team since he was drafted, and we need to lock him up to a lifetime deal ASAP. If Philbin is really an Oline guy, he won't let Jake get away.

I just think he's going to want too much money something like mario williams did to the texans but i hope we will resign him or even franchise tag him at worst.

I can't see us losing Long. It's just too big of a hole to refill.

However, hes' going to want too much money.

I would be willing to let Jake walk if we can get adequate LT play from someone else. We could upgrade multiple areas of this team with the money he will command.

the problem is if you were really gonna do this why the hell didn't you put him on the block PRIOR to the damn draft...instead you let him play out 2012 and walk for free???

thats some dumb stuff...if its true

we have our rt/ b/up lt to take his place if he wants too much................

They can't let a guy like Jake go. Winning franchises find a way to keep their best players.

We just filled the LT position.

Jake Long is pricing himself out of a job. Jake Long is one of the last of the super costly rookies before the new rookie pay scale kicked in. That is a dead time for the NFL now and so are those 1st contracts. I'd try to trade almost anyone i had on my team that still had one of those overpriced contracts.

And now he will want more because no one accepts less or the same amount.

We could draft RT Zebrie Sanders today and I'd trade Jake Long in a heartbeat for a early 1st round pick plus maybe a player at a need position. .

J Martin is making 1/5 of what J Long makes and Long is not 2-3 times better.

We did not know that we could of drafted J Martin so we could not have traded him before the draft. If we did, our chances of getting a very good LT would have been poor.

Like it or not the Dolphins are in a semi rebuilding mode so we need to look at the future and that is not paying ANYONE $12-15 million a year who plays on the OL.

Yeah, I agree - if ever there was someone who qualified for the franchise tag, it would be Jake.. and that'll give us some breathing room.

So the Dolphins aren't going to line 5 guys up on the OL this year? They're going to not have a RT on the field? Otherwise why assume Martin is there to replace Long rather than play along with him.

Just a rumor no way Long leaves MIA anytime soon. However, he MUST be resigned to a more cap freindly contract. So Ireland and JP can continue rebuilding this team..

This is not a rumor and is someone's opinion. Lets separate the two please.

so draft a player and if he's poor release him in a few years, if he's just average release him in a few years and if he's great release him in a few years because now he's going to cost too much.

i will say this...martin makes more sense to me on the left side than the right given his lack of strength...but i don't think that kids ready to handle left tackle at the pro level right now by any means...

it was just odd to me that we would choose martin out of what was available if the goal was to fill right tackle...very odd

Back
Top Bottom