Jake Long retired - "Proud and lifelong Miami Dolphin" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Long retired - "Proud and lifelong Miami Dolphin"

Great player in that short time span before the injuries hit. He was pretty damn dominant those first few years!

Have always been a fan of Jake Long. Still glad we drafted him. These recent seasons I had always hoped he would come back for some depth. Wanted him back in the building. Hats off to him and his time in the league.

Jake Long was one of the most dominant O Linemen Ive seen in 40 years of watching football, before injuries. I thought he'd be holding down LT for us for another 5 years. He had all the physical, mental tools along with work ethic. Injuries are a b*tch.

True, but lets be honest ... at the time of their respective drafts, Ryan was more of a "sure thing" than Rodgers. Plus, nearly EVERYONE passed on Rodgers.

Actually Ryan was an interception machine at BC - and a few outstanding games sort of obscured the more mediocre ones. Also, in the Conference championship, he disappeared completely just like he has done in the pros in the 2nd halfs of win or go home games up until this season. And considering he's had the TE GOAT, Roddy White, Julio among others to work through, I sure wouldn't anoint him as a "franchise QB." There was a 2 year stretch when THill, despite his OL and limited resources actually won 1 or 2 more games in total than did Ryan. Ryan had a great year, but also don't forget that this was his 9th attempt at it.

[TWEET]856545292656680960[/TWEET]

Herald wrote about it here - https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/856562597646282754

Jake Long is a good guy and a hall of fame level talent. He retired as a free agent, but he said a lot of nice things about the fins so I thought you folks may be interested.

In a perfect world? He would still be protecting the blindside of Dolphins QB Aaron Rodgers (which is why I never liked the Matt Ryan BS), but sadly for Jake he got anything but perfect luck in his pro career

I still think meatball and the Dolphins did a lot of harm to his long term health. Very sad - he was a hell of a player and should have had a great career ending in the honour roll and maybe even Canton - I really do believe he was that good. Hated seeing injury destroy his career

Really feel sorry for Jake, he was on his way to reaching the HOF before injuries severely hurt his career... IMO, I still believe, if not for the injuries, there is little doubt he was the right pick over Melty.

long had some good yr for dolphins. give the guy credit....

Thanking Mr. Ross, Parcells, and Sparano.

There seems to be an omission there...:lol:

Its a shame it didn't work out but i wish him the best in his next endeavors.

Ireland wasn't the one who drafted him. Ireland was here 6 years and never made a draft pick according to armando. He did sign Cam Wake though, that was totally him.

I love Long and all, but LOL to a homeless man giving Parcells advice to take a LT over a QB.

[video=youtube_share;fQyLvWgaF5A]https://youtu.be/fQyLvWgaF5A[/video]

The thanks was for the Long part #1. **** Ireland

Ireland wasn't the one who drafted him. Ireland was here 6 years and never made a draft pick according to armando. He did sign Cam Wake though, that was totally him.

Jeff Ireland grew up a Chicago Bears water boy. But nobody has ever carried his water farther and harder than Armando. Watching Ireland getting flushed down the toilet was hilarious for many reasons and watching Mando scramble as his source was being shown the door was one of my favorites. It was pure laziness on Mando's part -- he had suckled Ireland's balls well enough and long enough that Ireland fed him lots of information. He didn't want to have to go through that again.

Jeff Ireland grew up a Chicago Bears water boy. But nobody has ever carried his water farther and harder than Armando. Watching Ireland getting flushed down the toilet was hilarious for many reasons and watching Mando scramble as his source was being shown the door was one of my favorites. It was pure laziness on Mando's part -- he had suckled Ireland's balls well enough and long enough that Ireland fed him lots of information. He didn't want to have to go through that again.

:idk:

Would Aaron Rodgers even be Aaron Rodgers without sitting behind Brett Favre for 3 years?

I've read that statement a lot, but from all accounts, Favre wasn't his mentor. They also have completely different styles of play.

But yeah, passing on Rodgers and Brees and Ryan were all dumb mistakes that landed us where we are.

Would Aaron Rodgers even be Aaron Rodgers without sitting behind Brett Favre for 3 years?

It didn't have much to do with the fact that he sat behind Favre. It's one of the lamest myths that veteran QBs are "mentors" for their eventual replacements. (Being from the NYC area, one of the funniest things I heard in recent years was some local talking head saying Michael Vick could be a "tutor" and "mentor" for Geno Smith).

What did help Rodgers was the Packers coaching staff working on his mechanics and footwork for three years. As I said before, look at the way Rodgers played in college versus now. I don't profess to be any kind of expert when it comes to nuts and bolts football, but the transformation is obvious even to someone like me.

Back
Top Bottom