Jakeem Grant vs. Omar Kelly | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jakeem Grant vs. Omar Kelly

I'm from a background that really plays football with a foot i.e. Soccer so I dont know if Omar's contention that if you can't catch reliably by now then it is unlikely to improve. Any truth to this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm from a background that really plays football with a foot i.e. Soccer so I dont know if Omar's contention that if you can't catch reliably by now then it is unlikely to improve. Any truth to this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's more of a question of should a team keep a punt returner who struggles to return punts? It's something that not every player can do straight out the box, which is what Grant is being asked to do. I think part of the issue is that in Grant's mind he's a special team's player second and a receiver first. Grant was one of the most productive receivers in the country last year at Texas Tech. Because of his size the NFL is saying show us that you can return punts first and maybe we can work you into a role at what you think you do best. I would say his odds of sticking in the league increases two fold if he can get a grasp on returning punts. Otherwise he's a long shot at carving out a role on an NFL roster.

I don't think Grant is on thin ice. He is a rookie and they make mistakes. If he does not show improvement next year, he will more likely get cut.

have to be careful with him, I think he mishandled or double clutched a ball last game. I hold my breath each time he gets a ball in his hands but at the same time love his burst. I was lobbying for more play time but damn he could prove to be butter fingers if lb's and safety's are preying on him.

Grant has things you can't teach. The things he has struggled with you can teach. I wouldn't call him a failed experiment or a gimmick. He's a good gamble.

Omar tries too hard to be analytical and controversial instead of doing his job which is simply reporting. If Grant's future is in jeopardy because of performance then say that but don't belittle.

Grant needs to sleep with a jugs machine this offseason

That more than anything is the kryptonite

I hate Omar, but Grant doesn't belong on the field as of late. He has fumbled more punts than he hasn't since the 49er game. Drake needs to work on punts next year.

Time will tell. Kid has made some big plays too. I think I read that Hester fumbled a million kicks his first couple seasons so you never know. Grants TD against Tenn was outright sick - very few in the league make that play. But he is raw and needs more work.

He gets hit pretty hard too...I wouldn't be surprised if he coughs up a fumble if he does happen to continue returning punts....people have been laying the wood on him lately...the kids got to adjust his game...

Does it make it any less true because Omar said it? What is the number one Job of a punt returner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's earned criticism for all the dropped punts. Frankly this is one area I'm a little disappointed in the coaching staff. I realize there's only so many snaps to go around but this kids place isn't punts. It's kick offs and as a WR and especially in special packages. He put up record numbers in college, he's no slouch as a receiver and hasn't shown issues with his hands in the receiving aspect.

Carroo is fine IMO.

Grant on the other hand... I've grown to fear him getting the ball. He runs kicks out of the end zone when he shouldn't. If a defender can just get a finger on him, he goes down. There's the ever present risk of him coughing up the football.

I don't want to see him on special teams anymore.

Back
Top Bottom