Jason Allen Hold Out | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jason Allen Hold Out

Ha Ha

Static387 said:
The way I see it. If you are in the NFL you are NOT under paid.

Tell that Earl Campbell, Mark clayton, and the scores of retired NFL players that have trouble doing the simple things in life that we take for granted after they leave the game. They're worth every penny because of the sacrifice they place on their bodies over an extended amount of time. Some of these players can't even pick up there little kids after they leave the game becasue they're in constant pain.

You can make the argument that compared to the other major sports, they aren't nearly paid enough.

rhadaddy said:
Tell that Earl Campbell, Mark clayton, and the scores of retired NFL players that have trouble doing the simple things in life that we take for granted after they leave the game. They're worth every penny because of the sacrifice they place on their bodies over an extended amount of time. Some of these players can't even pick up there little kids after they leave the game becasue they're in constant pain.

You can make the argument that compared to the other major sports, they aren't nearly paid enough.

1) I'll say it again. Were not talking about a player being taken advantage of and not being paid VERY WELL. NFL Rookies have proven nothing yet get guaranteed contracts that alot of times are worth more than they ever contribute to their teams in the NFL. Teams have every right to get a rookie tied up on their team considering the millions they contribute to them based on potential alone.

2) The players association agreed to 6 year contracts for teams that draft in the 1-16 slot. Apparently they don't see it as a player being taken advantage of like your post spins it.

3) These players make millions. It's not like they don't make enough to set them up completely for life. Some of you act like the difference between 4-6 million is similar to the difference between poverty and acceptable pay.

4) It's not the NLF's fault that some players squander their income (see Mark Clayton and many others) and have nothing left after their careers are done. Any adult regardless of their career is in charge of making responsible financial decisions. They knew the lifespan and dangers of their career going in.

5) Yes their bodies take on a great toll in the sport.
Welcome to the real world though.
Many if not all careers come with a price tag.
Some careers people end up shells of themselves making 35K a year compared to millions.

Talk to some roofers about their knees and how good their knees are. Talk to anyone in mid management in the corp. world and ask them how their mental state is after dealing with the stress of their jobs for the past 20 years.

These guys get paid VERY WELL for what they do.
Do they have a right to negotiate the best contract? Of course, but so does every team that is investing Millions into them. Don't make it seem like these guys are getting raped, it's rediculous.

PHANTASTIC 13 said:
Let's just say that Jason Allen does sign a six year deal, what would stop him from holding out in his fifth year or even fourth year if he felt he was worth more than the Dolphins were paying him???
This is why I think this hold out is nonsense and he needs to wake up a smell the coffee. :morning:

$16,000 per holdout day?

So where in my post

Trekbiz said:
1) I'll say it again. Were not talking about a player being taken advantage of and not being paid VERY WELL. NFL Rookies have proven nothing yet get guaranteed contracts that alot of times are worth more than they ever contribute to their teams in the NFL. Teams have every right to get a rookie tied up on their team considering the millions they contribute to them based on potential alone.

2) The players association agreed to 6 year contracts for teams that draft in the 1-16 slot. Apparently they don't see it as a player being taken advantage of like your post spins it.

3) These players make millions. It's not like they don't make enough to set them up completely for life. Some of you act like the difference between 4-6 million is similar to the difference between poverty and acceptable pay.

4) It's not the NLF's fault that some players squander their income (see Mark Clayton and many others) and have nothing left after their careers are done. Any adult regardless of their career is in charge of making responsible financial decisions. They knew the lifespan and dangers of their career going in.

5) Yes their bodies take on a great toll in the sport.
Welcome to the real world though.
Many if not all careers come with a price tag.
Some careers people end up shells of themselves making 35K a year compared to millions.

Talk to some roofers about their knees and how good their knees are. Talk to anyone in mid management in the corp. world and ask them how their mental state is after dealing with the stress of their jobs for the past 20 years.

These guys get paid VERY WELL for what they do.
Do they have a right to negotiate the best contract? Of course, but so does every team that is investing Millions into them. Don't make it seem like these guys are getting raped, it's rediculous.

Does it say that they're taken advantage of? In fact I'm not arguing for or against Jason getting signed. I was arguing the the fact that people say these athletes are overpaid yet don't take into account the sacrifice they make.

Who in the hell intimated they are getting raped? Go re read what I said.

Jason Allen has every right to hold out until he can make the most possible money.

Hell Some fishermen make 30k a week, but it can be one of the most dangerous jobs in the world with a high death rate. Are they overpaid?

Niether you nor I can talk about his family and personal business in regards to what he does for his finances. Or what we think he or she is worth

Some of you harp on how these players are overpaid, spoiled, etc.. etc.. but I bet everyone of you, given the oppurtunity would take a higher paying salary rather than accept a lower amount especially if the work environment and job description were virtually the same.

Assuming that 4-6 Mill will set someone up for life is unreasonable especially in a sport where your career isn't year to year, month to month, week to week, or day to day but play to play. His lively hood could be over before it begins.

And the medical expenses can mount up quickly.

By you making the statement that about being statement :

You obviously are ignorant to the fact of finance/wealth and how it affects people culturally. You maybe should read Rich Dad Poor Dad before you make these broad statements about managing wealth.

I'm all for someone trying to make as much as possible becasue it's the American way.

rhadaddy said:
By you making the statement that about being statement :

You obviously are ignorant to the fact of finance/wealth and how it affects people culturally. You maybe should read Rich Dad Poor Dad before you make these broad statements about managing wealth.

I'm all for someone trying to make as much as possible becasue it's the American way.

I'm not ignorant about it at all.
You can make all the excuses ( and that's exactly what it is, excuses) in the world about the affect wealth has on different cultures. Bottom line is that an adult IS responsible for making responsible decisions on how to take care of himself now and in the future. If they were so concerned some of them would have hired a good investment manager instead of buying everything they could get their hands on without thinking of the real possibility of an injury shortened career.

InMyChambers said:
bunkley just signed a 6 year deal. hopefully that means allen is soon too.

Wow, that's so sad!
Bunkley clearly got screwed..... :rolleyes:

That's the mentality some are throwing around in here.

Hopefully Allen will follow suit, get in here and prove his worth.

GoonBoss said:
I fail to see the signifigance. Get into camp. If it's one year, it will get worked out. Get in and go, show good faith. Everyone is spinning this to the Dolphins just dropping one year off the contract. I wonder if there may be other things in consideration?

Seriously...Are you kidding me? 1 year? 1 freaking year? THAT is what's holding this up? That young man needs to get his rear end into camp while the pros that actually KNOW somthing about contracts negotiate.

Ok, but I can pose the same argument for the dolphins. They need him to be in camp just as much as he needs himself to be in camp. Why are the dolphins so stubborn on "one freaking year". Drop the year and get it done
simple as that

What excuses?? Puhhlease

Trekbiz said:
I'm not ignorant about it at all.
You can make all the excuses ( and that's exactly what it is, excuses) in the world about the affect wealth has on different cultures. Bottom line is that an adult IS responsible for making responsible decisions on how to take care of himself now and in the future. If they were so concerned some of them would have hired a good investment manager instead of buying everything they could get their hands on without thinking of the real possibility of an injury shortened career.

You can't sit here and poo poo the difference between 2 - 4 million dollars in one post them talk about being wise and hiring a good money manager in the next. That's an out right contradiction. The difference between 2 and 4 million dollars is substantial and you can ask any money manger worth his salt about that.

Now on to reality, there was a thread talking about Jason recently purchasing a 1 million dollar estate and how the market has changed where people are taking out these interest only loans.

What's sad about that is the market has gotten so out of hand that the average home is well into the 300k range, and that won't get you much. So when you take the economy, the possiblity of living disabled for the rest of your life and exorbatent medical expenses after the average 3 year NFL career, WHY WOULD YOU NOT GO FOR THE MOST MONEY POSSIBLE in the quickest possible time. That's why these players hold out for the most garaunteed money because the next play could be their last play. The CBA was agreed upon to allow players to do so. Even if it's a rookie who hasn't proven anything, he can loose his livelyhood before he steps on the field. The dolphins know all to well about that.

Even if there wasn't any risk at all what's wrong with wanting more money? I don't know about you, but being a father has made me realize that my hours are priceless, so 20, 30, 50, 100, 200/hour, etc.. will never be enough to replace the time I spend away from my family working.. be it for myself or someone else. So I wont begrudge someone else for seeking the most money possible if simply because of the value of their time.

yet

I sitll stand by my original post, They deserve everything they get and then some because of the risks and trauma they put their bodies through.

I am sick and tired of Jason Allen holding out. As far as I'm concerned, I hope he sits all out all season. He is only screwing himself. If he does sign, I think the veterans need to bodyslam him everyday after practice. He needs a reality check.

Back
Top Bottom