Jay is the right choice | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay is the right choice

Originally posted by Beckyj4
WOW! The ball was underthrown. And chambers isn't paid to be a Receiver? Like the guys in the booth said, he did NOTHING to help his QB. Several times they also said that he was under pressure all night. Yet he managed to put several throws right on the money. Fiedler missed the mark over and over, inc. the 31 yarder to Chambers. His next longest pass was 9 yards, yet you are telling me what a fantastic job JF did? Luckily, there are QBs in the league that have Receivers that understand that EVERY pass is not going to be right in their hands. They just might have to move a couple of steps.

Blame it on Brian all you like. Chambers HAD to have seen where that ball would end up. If he is so immobile that he cannot take two steps while a ball is traveling 30+ yards through the air, he needs to find another occupation.

After reading all the praise heaped on JF on this thread, and knowing it is echoed in Miami, Ricky Williams must be feeling pretty unappreciated by now. What part of "Ricky saved those drives", did you not understand? There but for the grace of God, JF had 2 Ints. and NO TDs. (BOTH would have been his fault, since they were thrown right TO a defender, on SHORT yardage yet.) Ricky Williams sold his body out to keep the drive going and get the TDs, and gets to watch JF take credit for it? Shame on you.

Get over it...Brian Griese is nothing more than a backup QB fior the rest of the season.

Originally posted by fin-atic
I think you guys are taking Rickykick wrong. I believe what he is saying is that we have many problems on this team. Most of them are centered around a real void in talent. Especially on offense. The implication is not that we should lose games. The fact is Miami has been in the same boat for awhile. Too good to get high draft picks, but not good enough to go all the way.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how else to take the statement "the only thing wining [sic] last night did was put us farther away from a top draft pick."

I'm sorry, if being excited because your team is in the playoff hunt is a crime, send me up the river now. I know you're trying to keep us all roted in realtiy, finatic, but what fun is there in dismissing a dramatic, come-from-behind victory as just a mirage? Why even watch the games?

WOW! The ball was underthrown. And chambers isn't paid to be a Receiver? Like the guys in the booth said, he did NOTHING to help his QB.

I'm willing to assign some of the blame to Chambers. But to say that Chambers should have adjusted to the path of the ball is admitting the ball was underthrown. If it was a perfectly thrown ball, no adjustment would have been necessary.

Fiedler missed the mark over and over, inc. the 31 yarder to Chambers.

That's just silly. It was a great catch by Chambers, but it was also a great throw that was uninterceptable and caught Chambers in stride (something Jay hasn't always done in the past. [/B][/QUOTE]

His next longest pass was 9 yards, yet you are telling me what a fantastic job JF did?

Yes I am. It's called leadership. With Jay under center, the offense performed better. It's all about results.

Luckily, there are QBs in the league that have Receivers that understand that EVERY pass is not going to be right in their hands. They just might have to move a couple of steps.

Blame it on Brian all you like. Chambers HAD to have seen where that ball would end up. If he is so immobile that he cannot take two steps while a ball is traveling 30+ yards through the air, he needs to find another occupation.

I'm not saying Brian is a no-talent idiot. The offense just performed better with Jay.

After reading all the praise heaped on JF on this thread, and knowing it is echoed in Miami, Ricky Williams must be feeling pretty unappreciated by now.

Actually, I'm guessing he's thrilled to have a win.

There but for the grace of God JF had 2 Ints. and NO TDs. (BOTH would have been his fault, since they were thrown right TO a defender, on SHORT yardage yet.) .

At least one of those near-misses was a direct result of a pass rush. Griese may well have been sacked in the same circumstance.

Originally posted by Beckyj4 Ricky Williams sold his body out to keep the drive going and get the TDs, and gets to watch JF take credit for it? Shame on you.

No, shame on you. The team won a huge game, and you're more concerned about how individuals on the team are being viewed. I'm sure Ricky doesn't give a rat's behind about who gets the credit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will admit that I thought Griese was the better of the two and should start and I posted this but after last night's game I was probably wrong.

Griese played some real good pass defenses and Washington is not one of them so I thought the Washington game would tell us if Griese is the right choice and it told us that this year with this offense/team he is not. On the contrary Jay came and won us the game and "this Jay" looks better than "pre-injury 2003 Jay."
May be the time off gave him a fresh start and healed some of his old injuries plus he is a smart player and he probably took notes of what he and the team was not doing right and set about to correct it.

Yes, Jay Fiedler over Griese for 2003 and get a new QB for beyond 2003.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how else to take the statement "the only thing wining [sic] last night did was put us farther away from a top draft pick."

I'm sorry, if being excited because your team is in the playoff hunt is a crime, send me up the river now. I know you're trying to keep us all roted in realtiy, finatic, but what fun is there in dismissing a dramatic, come-from-behind victory as just a mirage? Why even watch the games?

No one is dismissing it. It was a great win. If all that mattered in January was that we had one come from behind victory against a crappy team than we would buy our SB tickets.

But if you have been reading ALL the posts you would see there are several people saying "This is the turning point!"

Well it all remains to be seen. It was a great win. But a SB team would have blown them out by 21 points start to finish. And we can blame Brian, sure why not, but that defense let a third string QB kick their tails for two and a half quarters. What would Trent Green do to them? What about Priest Holmes? We saw how we were handled by Tennesee.

I think instead of measuring the team agains itself you should measure it against the quality teams in the league. Many of us see that we have a way to go. Because we voice that doesn't mean we aren't happy are don't appreciate the win.

Great BroncoFox is here from the Orange Mange.

There goes the neighborhood.

I don't think she has figured out yet that Dick Jauron, :lol:
Kordell Stewart, :lol: and the Bears, :lol: beat the Broncos yesterday.

Did you see a l l of her n e a t excuses as to why Jake played so bad yesterday? I think she is his baby sister.

She is a bit embarrassed because she posted a (quote) she attributed to Taco John on here and I PROVED she was lieing. Then since she had also posted that I had been driven off the Orangemane forum, I decided to post a question to TJ THERE, asking him where I could find this phantom post.

Funny thing was, she never did post in THAT thread. Sometimes she actually uses her head. Seldom, but once in a great while.
At least she has had the sense to temper her suggestions of what my 'relationship' is to various players lately. Maybe she actually figured out that using gross vulgarity isn't considered very ladylike.

I read a lot of your posts on OM. Do you get the feeling that what you write goes in one eye and right out the other? Welcome to the club. Anyway, I understood everything you wrote. I got the feeling you could have explained the 'injury' deal forever, and it still wouldn't have moved through the dense fog over there. Oh well, TJ, Watermock and Sassy got it.

Then there are the 'relationships' again. Errand and Bronco fox are so livid in their hatred for BG that they are looking more like rejected suitors all the time. Sure hope if that's the case, that Errand is a female. :lol:

But a SB team would have blown them out by 21 points start to finish.

Not this season, my friend. A New England team who is among the consensus three best in the league needed overtime yesterday to avoid getting their butts handed to them by the Texans.

I think instead of measuring the team agains itself you should measure it against the quality teams in the league.

Oh believe me, I've been watching the rest of the league. And I'm convinced that NO ONE can make their reservations for the Super Bowl yet. Neither can a team like the Dolphins just assume they just don't have what it takes and pack it all in.

Rickykick said he would have rather the Dolphins lost yesterday so they could have a better draft pick. If being realistic involves that level of cynicism and resigning myself that our team is doomed to failure before the playoff seedings are even determined, then I want no part of realism.

I think you guys are taking Rickykick wrong. I believe what he is saying is that we have many problems on this team. Most of them are centered around a real void in talent. Especially on offense. The implication is not that we should lose games. The fact is Miami has been in the same boat for awhile. Too good to get high draft picks, but not good enough to go all the way.

Every Dolphin fan here would like to see the Fins go all the way. You guys are all so busy slapping each other on the back because Jay has played 17 minutes of good ball this year. Believe me this Dolphin team has some real problems and one quarter of good ball against a crappy under .500 team does not solve them.

We need to beat some real teams and start delivering on the promise before you are going to get wholesale buy in that we are any different than the team that missed the playoffs last year.

No, Rickykick said that he wants Miami to not make the playoffs in order to get a higher draft choice. I cannot understand a team that plays to lose and I cannot understand a fan that wants their team to lose. Further getting high draft picks is no magic bullet. The Bengals, Chargers, Redskins, etc. have been getting them for years and the results are that some teams improve some don't. This is the same result as teams with later picks. Some improve, some don't. To quote Edwards "you play to win the game" Any other approach is a losers attitude.

Jay definitly gave this offense a spark.. but i think that the real MVPs of this game are ricky williams.. and rob konrad for all those blocks he made..

Originally posted by rickykicks@$$

Griese also does not have three years with this team under his belt like Jay the only thing wining last night against a "demoralized" Skins team did was put us farther away from a top draft pick that we need more then the win against the Skins. The Fins are not good enough to go anywhere this year so finishing with a wildcard spot hurts more then it helps.

Fiedler will be picked up by a team next year, I agree... but as much as Jay can't throw deep or stay healthy he will "surely" be a backup where he belongs.

Perfectly put. Yes, Fiedler did spark Miami last night. He will do that occassionally. But over the long haul, he can't do it. Two of his passes last night should have been picked. I think Griese, given the time with the offense, is the better passer. Although, I'd love to see Warner, or anyone else who can throw deep accurately on our team next year. Fiedler, at best, is a backup.

"Did you see a l l of her n e a t excuses as to why Jake played so bad yesterday? I think she is his baby sister."

Um.. what? I didn't make any excuses, what in the world are you talking about? I said a few receivers dropped balls right in their hands (they did.. no one disputes this), 'tis fact, not fiction. I also said Jake could have played better. He could have.. another fact. I made no excuses at all, it's amazing what you can take and twist around to make it sound like something else entirely. You do that all the time to.

I'm not embarassed about anything. Unlike you, I don't twist myself into a vengeful rage to vent at other fans when they say something I don't agree with. Quoting another fans exact words isn't a big deal to me.. I've never said a bad thing about any other Bronco fan (excepting Buster, who is not really a fan at all, and you, who is a fairweather Brian Griese fan only), and they don't have a problem with me. I actually get *along* with the other Bronco fans. :)

And vulgar? What are you talking about? I was serious! You defend Brian so adamantly over ALL aspects of the game that I could swear you are his mother, it's no insult. As a person, Brian is an ok guy I'm sure. It would not be a slam to admit you were his mom, if you were. What is vulgar about that? I've never, and I mean NEVER seen you say one negative thing about Brian Griese. Now I've said positive *and* negative things about him, because I try to be *honest and open* about my *opinion*. I admit it is my opinion, not everyone is going to agree with it.

But it is amazing how condescending and rude you can be to fellow fans, or fans to other teams when they say *anything* bad regarding Brian Griese. You go on about lies.. but c'mon now, unless you really are blind to the fact, Brian is NOT a perfect QB. You act as if he is simply by your overflowing praise for the guy, and no negative comments.. ever. I have given Brian props for his strong points MANY TIMES, even on this board. What.. you missed that? I'm so surprised. :)

But you can't admit he has any faults whatsoever. It is this blind obedience to this QB that is baffling, and your aggresive nasty nature that comes out when anyone has a negative comment that is really bizarre. You call myself and others 'liars' and 'blind', tell us we don't watch football, yet obviously are not a brilliant football analyst yourself. You resort to personal attacks, or attack a fans team if they don't agree with you. And you fawn all over anyone that *does* agree with you. This is normal?

I can openly admit that Jake is not the best QB in football. He has strengths and he has weaknesses. I think he is better in Denver because he fits in their gameplan better, and is a better leader and playmaker, that's it. Brian has strong points that I thought perhaps Miami could take advantage of, but he didn't quite fit in here yet either. Can you admit Brian's weak points?

Why don't you for once post what you think are Brian's strengths *and* weaknesses for all to see? I'd love that, really I would. It would show at least you are not being a complete homer about the guy.

I myself like Jake's enthusiasm and spirit, and his ability to make plays, and believe in Denver's system he could win a SB. But I am not so blind as to say he is the best QB in football. He isn't. There are several other QB's I would rather see leading Denver.. they just are not available. So stop trying to act as if Jake is my poster child for what a QB should be. I've said several times I was optimistically hopeful he would do well, and that I would wait until this season was over before I made any statements about how good I thought he is or is not for our team.

So Becky.. what *are* Brian's strengths and weaknesses? What in your opinion, would be the perfect offensive setup to fully take advantage of those strengths and weaknesses?

BroncoFox

Originally posted by BATMAN

Perfectly put. Yes, Fiedler did spark Miami last night. He will do that occassionally. But over the long haul, he can't do it. Two of his passes last night should have been picked. I think Griese, given the time with the offense, is the better passer. Although, I'd love to see Warner, or anyone else who can throw deep accurately on our team next year. Fiedler, at best, is a backup.

Better passer doesn't equal better QB. Throwing deep is nice, but moving the chains is more important. For the balance of the season JF clearly gives Miami the best chance to win. JF may be a backup, but several backups have led their teams to SB wins. If Miami makes the playoffs they have as good a chance as anyone simply b/c there are no dominant teams. This week alone showed several of the so-called elite teams losing or squeaking by the so-called dregs of the league. It happens every week. Miami has only been destroyed once (by Tenn. where we were missing our best QB and MLB) and arguably should have or could have won all the other games. Miami can play with and beat any team in the league unfortunately the reverse is also true. The SB winner will be the team that avoids (or overcomes) the injury bug and gets hot at the right time.

This expert commentary from the poster who branded a come-from-behind gut-check win to keep a team in playoff contention as "pathetic." Can I assume from your comments that you, too, would prefer we pack it in now to be sure we get a high draft pick for a yet-unnamed prospect?

As the ESPN crew said last night, "Do you know how many NFL starters would give their left arm to be 32-15?" Yes, I know, he didn't win all those games himself blah, blah, blah. But his starts have led to twice as many victories as defeats. In fact, I'd almost be willing to bet Fiedler IS a starter SOMEWHERE in the NFL next year.

I don't know how or why, but Jay gave the team a significant spark last night - the difference in play for the team was palpable and obvious. It may simply be attitude - I like a guy who comes in, looks around and says 'ok, we're going to win this game'. I like it more when the TEAM believes him and makes it happen. Was it a perfect performance? Not even close. Did a couple passes look like they would be picked? Absoultely. But somehow the entire character of the game changed when he steped in, and while I don't understand it, I'm happy to have it.

As to not being able to do it over the long haul, well, 33-15 seems pretty long to me. I'm not saying Jay won those games by himself, but this is a different team when he's under center.

Although, I'd love to see Warner, or anyone else who can throw deep accurately on our team next year.

No thanks. Sure, Warner is a good QB if you give him a Pro Bowl-caliber running back, two Pro Bowl-caliber receivers, a good tight end and an offensive line that actually blocks. But how good can he really be if Martz refuses to pull Bulger when he is throwing FOUR interceptions against the CARDINALS?? In Warner's only game this year, against the Giants, he fumbled SIX times (lost three) and threw a pick. Bulger's still young and might have a good future in this league, but I'm pretty sure Warner is done. He was never as great as so many people made him out to be. I would love to see Warner operate on a team with not nearly the offensive firepower as the Rams. I think the "experts" would be shocked at how poorly he would play.

Back
Top Bottom