Jay Signs 5 Year Deal, Wanny Gets.... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay Signs 5 Year Deal, Wanny Gets....

I'm ambivalent about Jay...

...but he fit's the coach's style. If the coach works, the QB will probably work out. As DCH suggested, there seems to be a connection between the two.:ladysman: Wanny has the confidence of the owner and Fiedler has the confidence of the head coach.

But a quality QB is garnish for this head coach.:sleep: My view is since he's staying, we might aswell give him and his QB our support, we can't beat 'em. :happydrin

this, i agree with!

My view is since he's staying, we might aswell give him and his QB our support, we can't beat 'em.

jay really pissed me off at times last year, but then i think several fans, from several teams, were pissed off at their QB's performance! jay certainly didn't corner the market on INT's!
:D

Dolfans and Dolfanettes

this is a "dream come true" contract....

Fiedler's contract is good for both sides....

If Fiedler plays out and reaps all the benefits he'll make his money before the contract is being renegotiated in 3 years.

Up until then Fiedler is still a fairly low cost option....

Not only is his base salary low over the next 3 years but his signing bonus of 4 million is not as bad as some thing.

At worst or best (depending on the point of view) Fiedler will be here for 2 years will make some 6 million dollars and will be released with a minimum cap hit.

After the 2003/2004 season only his signing bonus would be a cap hit or what would be remaining of it (somewhere around 2.2 million)...

The end of the 2003/2004 will be important because Miami has to make a decision on the roster bonus of (I believe 2 million).

Numbers:

2002/2003: 525,000 in salaries plus 800,000 in signing bonus
Total: ~1.3 million plus 1,200,000 roster bonus in March 2003

2003/2004*: 750,000 in salaries plus 1,000,000 in signing bonus
Total: 1,750,000 plus 2,000,000 roster bonus in March 2004

These are Fiedler's base numbers. If Fiedler performs well the contract will be renegotiated because his base salary will accelerate to 3,700,000 (2004/2005), 5,700,000 (2005/2006) and 6,500,000 (2006/2007).

Cutting Fiedler after year 1 (2002/2003) season does not make sense in any case because our cap hit (signing bonus) would then be 3,000,000.

Fiedler will be our QB for 2 years. If cut after 2 years our cap hit will only be 2.2 million dollars.

Advantage for Dolphins is: if Fiedler does not perform he is so affordable that you could even bench him for the 2003/2004 season. Most of his money is made in backloaded salaries, incentives (performance bonus) and signing bonus. Fiedler will be guranteed 6 million dollars but the Dolphins secured themselves by keeping the basic numbers low.

It is a cap friendly, terrific deal for both sides.

Well done by Fiedler, Levy, Spielman and Wannstedt.

If Fiedler bombs in the next two years he will only count 2.2 million against the cap if cut...giving that the salary cap by then will increase 5-6 million it is an excellent number.

If he gets cut after year 1. Dolphins would save an additional 1.2 million roster bonus and would get hit with roughly 3.3 million..still not bad.

Fiedler's contract is so cap friendly that you could even bench him in the 2003/2004 (year 2) and swallow only the roster bonus and the salary (750,000).

It is a dream contract because if he fails we have a very small price to pay....if he succeeds then we pay a lot more but it will be well worth it.

Hopefully that will take care of anyone who,
STILL DOESN'T GET IT!!!!!!

Hey Fins On Top...

Originally posted by Dolfan984
Jay supporter here. Write my name down.

You can put me down as a Jay supporter also. I bet you were one of the guys who wanted Brad Johnson or Elvis Grbac?:lol:

If you think Jay is the reason that the Fins were blanked in those games rather than the team not executing as a whole, than you are watching the wrong sport. You should watch tennis, bowling or some other individual sport where the blame can fall on the inividual.

FOOTBALL IS A TEAM SPORT.

So I guess you agree with the other ignorant football fans that Joe Montana is better than our Dan Marino because he won Super Bowls?

Re: Hey Fins On Top...

Originally posted by FinaticalOne
So I guess you agree with the other ignorant football fans that Joe Montana is better than our Dan Marino because he won Super Bowls?
And Dan lost all the those games to the Bills in the 90's since he could not tackle Thurman Thomas :rolleyes: ;)

P.S. I support Jay especially the deal he got :cool:

Re: Re: Hey Fins On Top...

Originally posted by dolphan39
And Dan lost all the those games to the Bills in the 90's since he could not tackle Thurman Thomas :rolleyes: ;)

P.S. I support Jay especially the deal he got :cool:
you can put me on your **** list too!:D

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Jay's contract isn't bad as long as he is cut after the second year of his contract.
or starting in the Pro Bowl or leading the fins to the SB ;)

put me down on the list !! I am one of the people that can look at the big picture and i have a few points to make. Talking about drafting q.bs...eli manning? davey what is up? look at ryan leaf ...or for that matter payton manning himself! you CANT count on a rookie qb to be good and even the better one ...payton have bad YEARS...this is usually do to the talent that surrounds them !!!!! My god have you all forgot what the last two years of marino were like ? Interceptions ? Tons and for tochdowns!!! immobility? man he couldnt hardly get the ball to the running backs !!!And scrambling ? well forget it dan coulcnt even be allowed to do a q.b. sneek!!!!!!And here they sit bitching about Fiedler !!!!!! Im sorry but this is a TEAM sport ! and untill you guys learn that if you cant win with marino its the teams fault and same with jay . anyone who can honestly say that they didnt cringe each time marino threw that ball those last two seasons is lying ...I had no confidence in this team to score or come back to win games but i believe we are headed in the right direction ....servicable q.b. and a hell of a running game and defense is what wins games (baltimore<new england) Take a hint Fiedler bashers and stop wasting your time being pessimistic fans ....support your team like a real fan regardless of who YOU (the real football experts ..lol) think should be here ...most of it is pipe dreams ...by the way how many wanted marino when we drafted him? because we had another great q.b who took us to the superbowl...David Woodley!!!!

I'm with badfoot here

We were truly spoiled to have Danny for so long. So it's only natural to want a replacement of the same caliber. Well that's like the Bulls getting another MJ, the Penguins getting another Lemuiex (when he finally retires), the Lions getting another Sanders or the Yankees getting another Babe Ruth. (Although if there was one, I'm sure that the Yankees have the money to sign him). You just can't replace that kind of talent. So the team had to find the best that's available to them now, and that would be Jay. Just like Dan lost when he was here, Jay is losing the same way. No running game. No pass rush. No running game. Mediocre offensive line. No running game. Dropped passes. No running game. Choking defense. No running game. Questionable play-calling. No running game. Until these areas are taken care of, it won't matter if we had Aikman, McNown, Lucas, Dilfer, Brees, Farve, Young, Montana or a 23 year old Marino behind center. The result will be the same. Take care of those areas, and then see how well he plays.

Back
Top Bottom