Jeff Cross the 2nd best DE in Dolphins History | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jeff Cross the 2nd best DE in Dolphins History

Coming from a 39yr old..who has been a dolphan fan since I could read the paper...Stanfill..Betters..Vern Den Herder..I would put Cross up in the top 5..along with JT...but for years...Betters was just an awesome player for us.

Time for my bimonthly lament on how incomparably underrated Bill Stanfill is. You might as well have a list of greatest FBs in Dolphin history and have someone stick 2 or 3 guys ahead of Zonk. I'm serious, it's that bizarre.

Not only was Stanfill a huge and dominant player vs. both the run and pass, those stats he compiled were in 14 game seasons. Plus we had big leads very often and the second team defense was on the field. On top of that, our running game shortened the game and kept the opposing offense off the field for huge stretches. Stanfill's sacks per play must have been incredible. If Stanfill had played on average teams in the 16 game era and been allowed to rush the passer for 60 minutes in a time frame with much higher percentage of pass plays than in his era, the numbers would be beyond belief.

NYPhinFan said:
Coming from a 39yr old..who has been a dolphan fan since I could read the paper...Stanfill..Betters..Vern Den Herder..I would put Cross up in the top 5..along with JT...but for years...Betters was just an awesome player for us.

true but the Cross was just amazing man hes a sure champion in my league

We have had some great DEs but since I got in late on this thread I have to be a contrarian or at least mention someone else.AJ Duhe was really a DE converted to LB and he was a big impact player,the kind that could turn a game around.

Stanfill was certainly underated because of his low key persona but he was as good as we have had.He just got lost among the other great players we had who were more noteable.

zachseau13 said:
Stanfill had 18 1/2 sacks in one year and he made the Pro Bowl 4 times.

Cross's numbers do not come close

Not to mention that he was the starter on three Super Bowl teams

Wasn't that a 14 game season?

I was away from my computer all day yesterday so I didn't get in on this one until now but Bill Stanfill was unquestionably the best DE we ever had. He should be in the Hall. JT is next by a nose and Betters right after that. Behind those three the field drops off from awesome to merely very, very good. Cross, Den Herder, A J Duhe, and Armstrong fit into that category. Coleman became an All-Pro after he left us so I would put him one step further down the list.

Keep in mind this comes from an old guy who actually saw all of them.

Ohiophinphan said:
I was away from my computer all day yesterday so I didn't get in on this one until now but Bill Stanfill was unquestionably the best DE we ever had. He should be in the Hall. JT is next by a nose and Betters right after that. Behind those three the field drops off from awesome to merely very, very good. Cross, Den Herder, A J Duhe, and Armstrong fit into that category. Coleman became an All-Pro after he left us so I would put him one step further down the list.

Keep in mind this comes from an old guy who actually saw all of them.

Well said.

I think that Stanfill would be in the Hall if he had able to play longer than 7 years.

The guy had 18 1/2 sacks in a 14 game season. That would equate to 21 in a 16 game season.

dominizzo said:
I agree but i think Cross was more impressive to watch Cross had pizzazz
You`re 24, how many games did you watch of Stanfill? I`m 39, and I barely remember those SB years. Stanfill and DenHerder went to 3 straight SBs, and won 2...that puts `em ahead of Jeff Cross in my book!

Back
Top Bottom