Jeremy Bloom | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jeremy Bloom

nick1

I am Groot
Club Member
Reaction score
can someone fill me in about this guy, I heard he runs a 4.2 and catchs everything. I think he will go in the 4th round? Will he make it in the NFL in your opinion? I look at his height and don't see it as an issue, lots of good WR are that small. the main problem I hear is that he needs to gain some weight and when he does that he will lose some speed

BTW you should watch this guy tommorrow, he does the mogul freestyle skiing, he is gonna win a gold

I noticed if espn has a special on a guy, dolphin fans want to draft him.. i know ure not saying it, but its ridiculous..this guy is a small white boy with speed.. nothing more

he is basically Tim Dwight with two less years of college experience... i think the 4th is even early for him based on that alone.. you cant draft a guy just cuz he runs a 4.2

what I like is that he catches everything and he is really fast, Chambers doesn't even run a 4.2. tons of good WRs are short... like Steve Smith, Sanata Moss, Marvin Harrison, and I could go on. I'm not saying I want him, but I'm saying that he is a good talent who could do well in the NFL

according to the Olympics he's 5'9" 175 pounds, I heard somewhere that he was only 160 and that was why I was concerned whether he could take a pounding or not but at 175 he's not too light http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/5058547/detail.html

In defense of SPEED factor, I will say this.

Jerome Mathis was a small school prospect as a WR, and doesn't have a whole lot of polish. He walked into the Combine and tore up one of the fastest electronically timed 40 times ever measured in Indy...the fastest man in the draft. He became a 4th round pick based solely on his SPEED.

And in case ya didn't notice? He just played in the pro bowl this weekend, as the best kick returner in the NFL averaging 28.6 yards per return with 2 touchdowns.

What makes Jeremy Bloom interesting is his skiing experiences, which actually help the man create some tremendous YAC. Not to mention, the guy is just plain an elite ATHLETE. He's competed in and won the annual Superstars competition against the world's elite athletes two years in a row, including NFL stars like (in the latest competition) Ahman Green, Will Allen, Dexter Jackson, LaVar Arrington, and Charlie Garner)...and this before Bloom even turns 22 years old. That competition involves all kinds of things, kayaking, rock climbing, obstacle courses, 100 yard dash (which he ran, btw, in a BLAZING 9.4 seconds...THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND).

And it ain't like the dude is COMPLETELY new to the football field. He was college football's leading punt returner a few years back. The very first time he stepped onto a college football field, he returned a punt 75 yards for a TD. That year, he also snared a short reception and turned it into a 94 yard touchdown in the conference championship game. Next year, he caught 22 balls.

You cannot, and I repeat, cannot coach speed...and there's no substitute for it. Bloom has agreed that when he's drafted he will sign a no-skiing clause in his contract. He's an elite world athlete with excellent concentration, coordination, focus, and work ethic. And, quite frankly, line him up in the slot and tell him to run vertically 50 yards up the field and he'll get a full 5 yards of separation on the corner within a 5 second time frame (which means the QB releases the ball after a short 3 seconds).

You may think there are a BUNCH of one-trick-ponies in the NFL that have Bloom's speed and running ability, but there actually are not. 9.4 seconds in the 100 yard dash is blazing, absolutely blazing...less than a second a yard. There's a lot of 4.35 speed guys that wouldn't come close to 9.4 seconds.

ckparrothead said:

Jerome Mathis was a small school prospect as a WR, and doesn't have a whole lot of polish. He walked into the Combine and tore up one of the fastest electronically timed 40 times ever measured in Indy...the fastest man in the draft. He became a 4th round pick based solely on his SPEED.

And in case ya didn't notice? He just played in the pro bowl this weekend, as the best kick returner in the NFL averaging 28.6 yards per return with 2 touchdowns.

What makes Jeremy Bloom interesting is his skiing experiences, which actually help the man create some tremendous YAC. Not to mention, the guy is just plain an elite ATHLETE. He's competed in and won the annual Superstars competition against the world's elite athletes two years in a row, including NFL stars like (in the latest competition) Ahman Green, Will Allen, Dexter Jackson, LaVar Arrington, and Charlie Garner)...and this before Bloom even turns 22 years old. That competition involves all kinds of things, kayaking, rock climbing, obstacle courses, 100 yard dash (which he ran, btw, in a BLAZING 9.4 seconds...THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND).

And it ain't like the dude is COMPLETELY new to the football field. He was college football's leading punt returner a few years back. The very first time he stepped onto a college football field, he returned a punt 75 yards for a TD. That year, he also snared a short reception and turned it into a 94 yard touchdown in the conference championship game. Next year, he caught 22 balls.

You cannot, and I repeat, cannot coach speed...and there's no substitute for it. Bloom has agreed that when he's drafted he will sign a no-skiing clause in his contract. He's an elite world athlete with excellent concentration, coordination, focus, and work ethic. And, quite frankly, line him up in the slot and tell him to run vertically 50 yards up the field and he'll get a full 5 yards of separation on the corner within a 5 second time frame (which means the QB releases the ball after a short 3 seconds).

You may think there are a BUNCH of one-trick-ponies in the NFL that have Bloom's speed and running ability, but there actually are not. 9.4 seconds in the 100 yard dash is blazing, absolutely blazing...less than a second a yard. There's a lot of 4.35 speed guys that wouldn't come close to 9.4 seconds.
great post, your getting me excited about him

One thing to add.

Speed factor is not measured solely by 40 time. There are a number of measurements to give you an overall idea of what kind of speed a guy has, as defined by his ability to transport himself quickly.

It's just like in horse racing when they give a horse a speed factor. It isn't just a straight up measurement of how fast the horse runs like 6 or 7 furlongs.

In this case you measure a guy's 10 yard split, his 20 yard split, going on up all the way to 100 yards. There's 3-cone stuff, shuttle runs, and other speed tests. From all accounts he should be stellar in all of them.

The scary part about Bloom's speed is that when he reaches the 40 yard mark to cap off something like a 4.29 electronically timed 40, he probably has not finished accelerating yet...he's probably just reaching 5th gear. Get that into the open field, add in the agility, coordination, and vision you need to be a world cup gold medal winning moguls champ, and the guy will be flat out exciting.

You know what is fun? He's got the next 3 or 4 years to learn whatever he needs to know about route running, punt returning, and kick returning. In the meantime all you really need do is tell him where to run and it's like Forest Gump on the Crimson Tide.

Another great thing about him is his intensity level, he is determined to be great, and he has all the physical skill, he is the steal of the draft in the 4th round no doubt in my mind

LIQUID24 said:
Does anyone have a link to this supposed 9.4 sec 100-yard dash? Wouldn't that be a world record??

It could be 100 meter dash or indoors or wind assisted.

LIQUID24 said:
Does anyone have a link to this supposed 9.4 sec 100-yard dash? Wouldn't that be a world record??

That's not a world record...but I'm not 100% clear on whether the world record is 9.2 seconds or if that is just the Superstars Competition record.

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/news/stories/105320050485930.shtm

"I was too amped [in the rock climb]. I was ready to go too fast, do too much," he explained, partway through a six-week individual training program at the U.S. Olympic Training Center. "But I won the 100-yard – yards, not meters – in 9.4 seconds, which is only .2 off the record, so I was really pleased with that."

When Jesse Owens set the world record back in the 1930's he set it at 9.4 seconds. I'm not clear on whether anyone has broken that record since then.

Speaks quite highly of Bloom that he is as fast as one of the fastest men in history...

ckparrothead said:

I think this kid is gonna be something special. The one thing that is still on my mind is what happens if we draft him. Does he give up on skiing? Or do we risk spending money on a guy who might get seriously hurt outside of football practicing for the olyimpics. I think it would be great PR for our team to have an Olyimpian on the team, but that is alot to risk. What do you think he will care about more, football, or Skiing? I would love to draft him if we got a chance, speed alone I want to get the ball in his hands. But when it comes down to it, are we gonna have to be worried everytime a ski compatition comes up? just something that will eat at me if we draft him

Back
Top Bottom