Jesse Davis | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jesse Davis

I don't want a single player who started at G or C in 2016 to start in 2017. If Asiata doesn't make huge gains he's definitely in danger of being cut, the fact that he couldn't even get on the field with straight bums ahead of him is downright pathetic. Penciling him in a starter next season at this point of the year is beyond silly.

This is probably going to depend on if the FO can sign James to a more cap friendly long term deal instead of the 5th year option (which is way too much for a guy who has trouble staying on the field).

That being said, Larsen said he is more comfortable at RG but who knows if they will give him a shot there. Asiata is probably a RG so that may be the competition as Davis may just get a longer look at LG while they do very little in FA or high in the draft to address the interior. Eric Smith will get in the competition as well if he can stay healthy. I look for maybe a few UDFA signings and maybe a low draft picks...7th round.

It's not even complicated. The team has to do what it failed to do in the off season last year. DRAFT a stud C/G combo guy. Start him at LG and slide him to pivot when Pouncey goes down. It has to be the right guy, of course, but if our scouts are doing their jobs we have a short list already. No more washed up line man.

Billy Price is who you want. Or who I would want anyhow.

About how we used some of our rookie linemen:

1) Our past two drafts have been good drafts and we did select some linemen.
2) We have been slow to use these rookies with players ahead of them.
3) When we did start to use those rookies I felt we got average to above average performance from them, rookie mistakes & all.
4) Coach Gase has acknowledged that he may have held some rookies back too long. This means it is likely that he will now be putting them on the field sooner than he had been doing.

To me this means we will be seeing some those the rookie linemen used as for starters, and will see some of this years rookies on the field at some time. If this is the case, some of those "problem" positions many posters seemed focused correcting via the draft, may end up not being problems at all.

About the rookie Asiata:

1) I felt he was a good draft pick in terms of promise as an effective NFL Guard.
2) The coaching staff said he wasn't NFL ready yet and basically redshirted him last year.
3) This year we will probably see him on the field. Presuming he will not make the practice squad seems totally unfounded. After he has played a few games we will be able to analyze his performance and determine if he has, or looks like he will live up to his anticipated potential.

This seems to be in line with how the current coaching staffs is using the rookies.

Just so you know, my choice for our first round draft pick has been and continues to be Quenton Nelson, a Guard. I think he will be one of the BPA's and probably better than most of the others players available at pick 11.

I believe Asiata said the coaches told him he didn't play because his foot speed/ foot-work was not up to par. He said he would spend the off-season continuing to work on it. That tells me he's got about a 50/50 shot of developing into something decent.

you aren't getting billy price at 43

probably gonna carry a top 25 grade

Last edited:
Here's a fun fact for ya.....

JaWuan James has missed 17 games in 4 years. Mike Pouncey has missed only 19 games in 7 years in comparison.

Do we really want to COUNT on these guys in 2018? Is that the wise thing to do? I know it would leave more holes on a team in dire need of starters but how long do we continue to do this? What are the chances Pouncey puts together back to back 16 game seasons?

What would happen if we just let James walk and cut Pouncey? We are set to spend over $18M on these two players. Aren't there better options out there?

LT Tunsil
LG
C
RG Larsen/Asiata/Smith
RT Davis

Billy Price is who you want. Or who I would want anyhow.

I think Frank Ragnow should also be in the conversation

Started 33 consecutive games and didn’t allow a sack over 2,603 career snaps at center and right guard before sustaining a season-ending ankle injury during the Auburn game on Oct. 21 … Had only missed 43 offensive snaps since becoming a permanent starter as a sophomore in 2015.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/frank-ragnow/

Here's a fun fact for ya.....

JaWuan James has missed 17 games in 4 years. Mike Pouncey has missed only 19 games in 7 years in comparison.

Do we really want to COUNT on these guys in 2018? Is that the wise thing to do? I know it would leave more holes on a team in dire need of starters but how long do we continue to do this? What are the chances Pouncey puts together back to back 16 game seasons?

What would happen if we just let James walk and cut Pouncey? We are set to spend over $18M on these two players. Aren't there better options out there?

LT Tunsil
LG
C
RG Larsen/Asiata/Smith
RT Davis

Sign me up. Smith could also be a swing tackle for us. But I used to defend James, he's an average player - good at times, and also pretty bad at times, but he has become too injury prone. EYE POPPING numbers comparing his games played/missed with pouncey. wow. I'd be more inclined to rescind James' option and keep pouncey even, but still drafting his replacement. Also, Brendel looks like good depth at the very least and Larsen has played C before too I believe.

Time to move on

I think Frank Ragnow should also be in the conversation

Started 33 consecutive games and didn’t allow a sack over 2,603 career snaps at center and right guard before sustaining a season-ending ankle injury during the Auburn game on Oct. 21 … Had only missed 43 offensive snaps since becoming a permanent starter as a sophomore in 2015.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/frank-ragnow/

Indeed, he may be my second favorite OL not named Quenton Nelson, *especially* if you want a center.

Last edited:

LT Tunsil
LG
C
RG Larsen/Asiata/Smith
RT Davis

Just an example....

LT Tunsil
LG Andrew Norwell ($9M avg, $6.5M cap hit)
C Frank Ragnow (2nd round)
RG Larsen/Asiata/Smith
RT Davis

we don't need to pay andrew norwell $12 mil per year as a free agent

Back
Top Bottom