Jests trade for Percy Harvin | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jests trade for Percy Harvin

Yup, and it helped derail our season. So remind me how low risk this Percy Harvin trade is?

And your right, i didnt mention his talent. Why? Because what people do off the field directly effects how often they get to step onto the field. Case in point, you mentioned Santonio Holmes. He did quite well in 2010...but what happened after that? What was the end result of that trade? He just turned 30, still in his prime(admittedly the back end of his prime), so where is he? Why did you need to trade for Harvin in the first place?

Past behavior is often indicative of future behavior. Some players, like Brandon Marshall, have done bad things but sincerely attempt to make amends and move forward(and to answer your question, i was in favor of Marshall and did ignore his violent behavior. Then again, that defense is hardly relevant as Roger Goodell was still 3 years away from being publicly eviscerated and athletes who commit violent acts got contract extensions, not suspensions). He succeeded, probably because he recognized the problems and worked to fix them. Harvin? He just keeps doing whatever the **** he wants. High-school, Florida, Vikings, Seahawks. Every single place hes been: same story. Sometimes, people are just scumbags(yes, Richie falls into this category).

Speaking of violent acts, i hope Rex Ryan's quickness has improved since hes lost weight:

What a steal.

kind of hard to derail a season that's already derailed. I mean the team is 1-6.

where do you come up with the jets losing a 2nd round pick? the deal is for a 6th round pick that could become a 4th round pick. this deal is low risk, very high upside for the jets. its completely possible that it doesn't work out, they release him and only give up a 6th round pick. I'm pretty sure the jets aren't in for any guaranteed money here so it really doesn't do much to their cap space if this happens.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

That's like getting an unbelievably great deal on a shiny rebuilt Camaro and not stopping to wonder why the owner is being so anxious and generous - unaware that they could never straighten that bent chassis.

you guy shave misinformation from somewhere. this deal is for a 6th round pick that could, at best, become a 4th round pick.

oh and btw the dolphins aren't too much better

That's like being offered an unbelievably great deal on a shiny rebuilt Camaro and never stopping to wonder why the owner is being so anxious and generous - unaware that they could never completely straighten that severely bent frame from when it was totaled. :idk:

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

Yup, and it helped derail our season. So remind me how low risk this Percy Harvin trade is?

And your right, i didnt mention his talent. Why? Because what people do off the field directly effects how often they get to step onto the field. Case in point, you mentioned Santonio Holmes. He did quite well in 2010...but what happened after that? What was the end result of that trade? He just turned 30, still in his prime(admittedly the back end of his prime), so where is he? Why did you need to trade for Harvin in the first place?

Past behavior is often indicative of future behavior. Some players, like Brandon Marshall, have done bad things but sincerely attempt to make amends and move forward(and to answer your question, i was in favor of Marshall and did ignore his violent behavior. Then again, that defense is hardly relevant as Roger Goodell was still 3 years away from being publicly eviscerated and athletes who commit violent acts got contract extensions, not suspensions). He succeeded, probably because he recognized the problems and worked to fix them. Harvin? He just keeps doing whatever the **** he wants. High-school, Florida, Vikings, Seahawks. Every single place hes been: same story. Sometimes, people are just scumbags(yes, Richie falls into this category).

Speaking of violent acts, i hope Rex Ryan's quickness has improved since hes lost weight:

What a steal.

How did Marshall derail your season that year? I'm seriously asking. What did he do? I've also come to understand that half of this league is filled with nut jobs anyway.

What season do the Jets have left for Harvin to derail? They're 1-6 not 6-1. Harvin helps the Jets better evaluate Geno. And i'm not a big Geno fan but it sucks evaluating a guy when you give him very little talent to work with. Sure it might take Harvin a while to learn the system but with Decker, Harvin, Kerley, and Amaro plus a good running game this gives Geno the talent to show significant improvement. If he can.

Holmes production slipped after 2010 and the team struggled, but not because of Holmes. Those teams as a whole were not good. Holmes also spent much of 2012 and 2013 in the trainers room instead of out on the field. I'm not denying that ended up being a bad trade. But you take a chance on the talent, and Harvin is a better player than Holmes was. Of course it could not work out. Holmes didnt long term. But just cause things dont work out with one guy doesn't mean you never take a gamble again.

Jets are setup very well cap wise. They can afford this risk. Seattle was willing to take the risk, so was Minnesota. The guy is clearly a top tier talent.

Russell Wilson's QBR with Harvin on the field: 45

Russell Wilson's QBR with Harvin off the field: 71

1. Tells you something about the player, and
2. It's almost like supporting cast matters. :ponder:

According to Peter King of TheMMQB.com, the Seahawks also spoke to the Browns and the Buccaneers about a trade for Harvin. Per King, the Jets ultimately offered the most for Harvin.

If the band of teams had been much broader than those three, someone would have blabbed before a deal in principle had been completed with the Jets. And it’s likely that the Seahawks were selective because they didn’t want to worry about seeing Harvin again on the other side of the field, especially during the postseason.

It seems odd that Tampa would have had interest, given the presence of Leslie Frazier as defensive coordinator of the Bucs. Frazier had a front-row seat for all of the Harvin-induced dysfunction in Minnesota.

Harvin would have been an intriguing addition to the Browns, who eventually will get back Josh Gordon. Those two players combined with the team the Browns already have put together could have resulted in a reunion with the Seahawks in February, at the Super Bowl.

But Harvin could have torn apart the locker room in the process. In the end, that’s a risk only the Jets were sufficiently desperate to assume.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...also-spoke-to-browns-buccaneers-about-harvin/

How did Marshall derail your season that year? I'm seriously asking. What did he do? I've also come to understand that half of this league is filled with nut jobs anyway.

What season do the Jets have left for Harvin to derail? They're 1-6 not 6-1. Harvin helps the Jets better evaluate Geno. And i'm not a big Geno fan but it sucks evaluating a guy when you give him very little talent to work with. Sure it might take Harvin a while to learn the system but with Decker, Harvin, Kerley, and Amaro plus a good running game this gives Geno the talent to show significant improvement. If he can.

Holmes production slipped after 2010 and the team struggled, but not because of Holmes. Those teams as a whole were not good. Holmes also spent much of 2012 and 2013 in the trainers room instead of out on the field. I'm not denying that ended up being a bad trade. But you take a chance on the talent, and Harvin is a better player than Holmes was. Of course it could not work out. Holmes didnt long term. But just cause things dont work out with one guy doesn't mean you never take a gamble again.

Jets are setup very well cap wise. They can afford this risk. Seattle was willing to take the risk, so was Minnesota. The guy is clearly a top tier talent.

Richie and Martin played a part in derailing our season. I waited to talk about Marshall until i got to your comments about his behavior later in the post.

Id be less concerned with Harvin learning the playbook(which he wont this season) and more concerned with his quitting. He did it in Minnesota and he did it mid-game last week when the Seahawks played the Cowboys. If Harvin decides the bench is pretty comfy yet again, how does that help Geno?

Holmes was productive...when he wanted a contract. The minute he got that deal, he stopped giving a damn. And here Harvin is, with his new contract. Already benching himself. You can keep bringing up his talent, but there has never been a time when the league has been more focused on violence. Percy is one emotional outburst, apparently something he has issues with, from creating a national scandal. Thats not worth the gamble even when you have a 1-6 record. To say nothing of the contract your taking on for the privilege of that gamble.

Had you traded for, say, Larry Fitzgerald, id be applauding the Jets, though i doubt any mid-season receiver trade would work out well. Harvin? If hes not quitting, hes injured. If hes not injured, hes fighting. If hes not fighting, hes demanding the ball. Enjoy him, because i sure as hell am.

Richie and Martin played a part in derailing our season. I waited to talk about Marshall until i got to your comments about his behavior later in the post.

Id be less concerned with Harvin learning the playbook(which he wont this season) and more concerned with his quitting. He did it in Minnesota and he did it mid-game last week when the Seahawks played the Cowboys. If Harvin decides the bench is pretty comfy yet again, how does that help Geno?

Holmes was productive...when he wanted a contract. The minute he got that deal, he stopped giving a damn. And here Harvin is, with his new contract. Already benching himself. You can keep bringing up his talent, but there has never been a time when the league has been more focused on violence. Percy is one emotional outburst, apparently something he has issues with, from creating a national scandal. Thats not worth the gamble even when you have a 1-6 record. To say nothing of the contract your taking on for the privilege of that gamble.

Had you traded for, say, Larry Fitzgerald, id be applauding the Jets, though i doubt any mid-season receiver trade would work out well. Harvin? If hes not quitting, hes injured. If hes not injured, hes fighting. If hes not fighting, hes demanding the ball. Enjoy him, because i sure as hell am.

Harvin's not going to learn the full playbook but the Jets are obviously going to try and cram enough/simplify it into him so he can take the field. Also, the Jets have the ability of cutting Harvin at seasons end if things don't work out. They have an out. He's not owed anymore guaranteed money after this season. Jets can cut him with zero cap implications. I don't see the downside in this. This is a lost season for the Jets, add a player who could conceivably help Geno, if it doesn't work out then you send him packing.

Most receivers like Larry Fitzgerald don't ever become available mid season. You get more of the trouble makers who teams want to move on from. The Jets did the same thing in 2009 when they acquired Edwards and he worked out nicely for the Jets while he was here.

And if it doesnt workout it doesnt workout. You can't deny the guys talent. He's a playmaker. The Jets need playmakers in the worst way. The Jets need guys that can just get open in the worst way. He fills both of those needs, the last one being a basic necessity. I'm ok with taking this chance. We have so much cap room we can afford the hit. If it doesnt work the Jets can move on.

For a 6th round pick I agree. I still wouldn't want him on my team. If the season is over it's time to get the highest pick possible. Finishing 7-9 doesn't do **** for anyone.

harvin would have to be pretty stupid to do this. right now he has a 10mil/year contract, yet he just found out he is only worth a conditional 6th round pick. unless you are a complete idiot that has to be a little humbling. if harvin decides to be a problem child the rest of the year here he will be cut and would be lucky to see any team want to give him much money, if even a contract at all.

Here's another thing. I keep hearing that if it doesn't work out he can be cut. I would love to hear what constitutes "not working out" because I could probably list ten scenarios that different people give different answers to.

What if he plays two games, plays them well, doesn't cause any problems and than gets hurt and misses the rest of the season. Did that work out?

What if he plays all season, causes no problems but only plays half of them well while being a non factor in the rest. Is he worth 10 million a year?

What if he gets hurt next Sunday and doesn't play until the last game of the season but completely dominates that game? Did it work out?

Point being, there may be the cut and dry extreme cases where he either is a complete train wreck or a complete stud who stays healthy but there's gonna be a lot of grey area too and I think jets fans will be arguing the case to either keep him or dump him if he falls in there.

For a 6th round pick I agree. I still wouldn't want him on my team. If the season is over it's time to get the highest pick possible. Finishing 7-9 doesn't do **** for anyone.
Finishing 7-9 may save Rex Ryan's job.

Back
Top Bottom