Jimmy Garropolo is pretty ****ty. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jimmy Garropolo is pretty ****ty.

Garappolo doesn't have to be ****ty. All he has to be is ordinary, and that brings the Pats down to the level of the rest of the AFC East. I think all the AFC East teams have good enough defenses to deal with a backup QB.

I watched the Pats/NO preseason game, and I think that's what the OP was referring to in his opening post. Garappolo did not look very good despite playing the entire first half against the Saints D, not exactly a unit filled with great defenders .... and the Saints were playing their scrubs almost the entire first half. He looked like what he is: a pretty ordinary backup QB. In fact, the announcers, who were a Pats broadcast team that apparently spent time observing the team at TC, said that Garappolo hadn't looked very good in recent practices.

NE didn't have any of their starting RBs, WRs, or Gronk. I don't put a lick of stock into his performance.

Garappolo doesn't have to be ****ty. All he has to be is ordinary, and that brings the Pats down to the level of the rest of the AFC East. I think all the AFC East teams have good enough defenses to deal with a backup QB.

I watched the Pats/NO preseason game, and I think that's what the OP was referring to in his opening post. Garappolo did not look very good despite playing the entire first half against the Saints D, not exactly a unit filled with great defenders .... and the Saints were playing their scrubs almost the entire first half. He looked like what he is: a pretty ordinary backup QB. In fact, the announcers, who were a Pats broadcast team that apparently spent time observing the team at TC, said that Garappolo hadn't looked very good in recent practices.

He had a 91.1 rating and was like 13 of 18 passing, with no starters on offense playing. You can play this game both ways, but the bottom line is if Garappolo is ordinary, the Pats go 2-2 and it's not going to help any other team. The reality is really simple, for the 4 game suspension to have any real effect on the standings this year, the Pats would have to go 0-4 maybe 1-3, so you can hope for that all you like, but as usual, your hope fades once real games are played.

Last edited by a moderator:
He had a 91.1 rating and was like 13 of 18 passing, with no starters on offense playing. You can play this game both ways, but the bottom line is if Garappolo is ordinary, the Pats go 2-2 and it's not going to help any other team. The reality is really simple, for the 4 game suspension to have any real effect on the standings this year, the Pats would have to go 0-4 maybe 1-3, so you can hope for that all you like, but as usual, your hope fades once real games are played.

Ummm ... he was 11 of 18 for 168 yards and no TDs and no INTs. 56 of those 168 yards came on 1 play, so he threw for 112 yards otherwise. As I said, pretty ordinary, especially against the vanilla defenses used in preseason and manned by so many rookies and scrubs. He's better than Ryan Mallett I'll give you that but he's shown nothing to indicate he's good enough to be Brady's eventual replacement. Since the Pats spent a third rounder on Jacoby Brissett this past April, it seems that they're preparing for Garappolo's departure after this season.

Ummm ... he was 11 of 18 for 168 yards and no TDs and no INTs. 56 of those 168 yards came on 1 play, so he threw for 112 yards otherwise. As I said, pretty ordinary, especially against the vanilla defenses used in preseason and manned by so many rookies and scrubs. He's better than Ryan Mallett I'll give you that but he's shown nothing to indicate he's good enough to be Brady's eventual replacement. Since the Pats spent a third rounder on Jacoby Brissett this past April, it seems that they're preparing for Garappolo's departure after this season.

Wasn't NE's offense vanilla too? No one game plans in Week 1 of the PS.

The New England Patriots have to be feeling a little better about Tom Brady's four-game suspension after backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo's performance against the Chicago Bears
“I found out literally right before the game. It was pretty sudden,” Garoppolo said. Garoppolo responded by completing 16 of 21 passes for 181 yards, with a touchdown, no turnovers and no sacks.

“I think we got in a nice rhythm offensively,” Garoppolo said. “Some stuff came up, I got tossed in there, and it was a good test. Coach always preaches you never know when you’re going in there, you never know when your number is going to be called, and you’ve got to be ready for it.”

All the Patriots need from Garoppolo is to keep the ship afloat until Brady's return from suspension and thus far he seems more than capable of doing that. While preseason stats are pretty meaningless, Garoppolo currently leads the league in passing yards and has shown a good command of the complicated Patriots offensive scheme. Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniel have to be feeling pretty good about both the immediate future
http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescr...roppolo-looks-good-against-Bears/Default.aspx

"Keeping the ship afloat" may be easier said than done. That NE offense is hardly loaded with talent. Aside from Brady, they have Gronk and the two OTs. Amendola and Edelmann only scare teams because it's Brady throwing to them. Blount is a journeyman RB, and their other RB is a youngster coming back from an injury. The interior of their OL are all newbies, with at least 1 a rookie IIRC.

Brady is the glue that keeps the offense together and the reason it goes at all. Garoppolo isn't close to Brady.

Pats will be without RB Dion Lewis for about 2 months and RT Sebastian Vollmer is on the PUP but is expected to out most/all of the season with a hip injury to go along with his shoulder. Apparently Edelmann reinjured his surgically repaired foot, so he's not available for awhile. Without Brady for the first four weeks, NE seems likely to struggle scoring during that period. Garappolo and the starters didn't score, and didn't look particularly good, against Chicago's starters in their 2nd preseason game. They started "rolling" only after Chicago started playing their 2s while NE kept most of the starters in for the entire first half.

Pats will be without RB Dion Lewis for about 2 months and RT Sebastian Vollmer is on the PUP but is expected to out most/all of the season with a hip injury to go along with his shoulder. Apparently Edelmann reinjured his surgically repaired foot, so he's not available for awhile. Without Brady for the first four weeks, NE seems likely to struggle scoring during that period. Garappolo and the starters didn't score, and didn't look particularly good, against Chicago's starters in their 2nd preseason game. They started "rolling" only after Chicago started playing their 2s while NE kept most of the starters in for the entire first half.

With all that going on, if the Pats end up starting like 3-1, we should all hail the genius of BB.

So cute, Fin fans making a thread to try and feel better about their chances against the Pats. All I can say is enjoy it while you can because from top to bottom this is the most talented Patriot roster in the last 16 years. Come September Jimmy or not, the fins have no shot, but by all means, keep the blinders on, it will just be all that more fun watching you guys wonder what happened.

How cute, a Pat fan thinks he knows who Steve Grogan is

With all that going on, if the Pats end up starting like 3-1, we should all hail the genius of BB.

Belichick scares me. He's the Evil Genius of that bunch, and Brady is his Sorcerer-in-Chief who implements his nefarious plans. Garoppolo doesn't scare me at all. The Sorcerer's Apprentice he's not.

Jimmy looked fine tonight. Not great, but solid. He has room to improve, and there is no reason to think he won't.

Jimmy's play says more about Belicheat and his system than it does about him. The guy is a master of masking weaknesses. Garoppolo is eventually another high pick for NE.

Jimmy's play says more about Belicheat and his system than it does about him. The guy is a master of masking weaknesses. Garoppolo is eventually another high pick for NE.

If the Patriots go 3-1 with Jimmy throwing no more than 2 INTs total, and averaging 250+ yards a game, and if Brady comes back looking like Brady, I imagine Jimmy will be traded for a 2nd rounder or equivalent. They can't afford to pay him starter money, which is what he would be wanting (and may turn out to deserve).

Back
Top Bottom