Joe Philbin has impressed me so far! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin has impressed me so far!

snake eyes

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I have heard so much about Joe's personality. "He's not head coach material" "He's too soft" "Too disengaged" But I disagree. One thing that really put it into perspective for me is when he was talking about the death of his son on hard knocks. It it were me I would probably be weeping through that entire interview and if he was weeping I wouldn't think any less of him but he seems to be a guy that keeps his emotions in check in all aspects of his life. He has a great football mind at least he has shown that in the past. Does that mean the Dolphins turn around this year? Probably not. I prefer Joe over a gasbag like Rex Ryan. Look where it got the jets. Yes I know they went to the playoffs and that was an improvement but if you ask me the dolphins right now look like they will be better than the jets this season especially since they took Sparano and are going to run the Wildcat. Another thing is that Mike Mccarthy is a great counter to Philbin. Mike is the Fire. I loved watching him tell it like it was in the meeting. So Mike is the Fire and Joe is the ice. Its joes first job as a manager. Some of you guys like me are managers of employees and you probably remember the first time you got that position there was a lot you had to learn about people and situations before you found your groove. So its pretty simplistic of me to say but we have to wait and see what the results are. If we go 10-6 or make the playoffs then nobody will give a crap about Joe Philbin's personality.

Seems solid X's and O's coach.... MY only issue is he can't look people in the eye when having "tough" conversations and is clearly uncomfortable doing this.

Yeah I think that will come in time. I think it is a learned technique. Other guys like Brian Billick and Jerry Jones just have it in them.

Seems solid X's and O's coach.... MY only issue is he can't look people in the eye when having "tough" conversations and is clearly uncomfortable doing this.

Thats my concern and if he doesnt get a handle on it quickly.. the moment things go south.. they'll go south in a fast way and he could end up losing the team..

he needs to loosen up with his team or he will lose the locker room

He gave a bad nick name to Wallace in front of national TV show, and the player seemed to be embarrassed by it. This act to me is not a good way to earn players' respect.

I have heard so much about Joe's personality. "He's not head coach material" "He's too soft" "Too disengaged" But I disagree. One thing that really put it into perspective for me is when he was talking about the death of his son on hard knocks. It it were me I would probably be weeping through that entire interview and if he was weeping I wouldn't think any less of him but he seems to be a guy that keeps his emotions in check in all aspects of his life. He has a great football mind at least he has shown that in the past. Does that mean the Dolphins turn around this year? Probably not. I prefer Joe over a gasbag like Rex Ryan. Look where it got the jets. Yes I know they went to the playoffs and that was an improvement but if you ask me the dolphins right now look like they will be better than the jets this season especially since they took Sparano and are going to run the Wildcat. Another thing is that Mike Mccarthy is a great counter to Philbin. Mike is the Fire. I loved watching him tell it like it was in the meeting. So Mike is the Fire and Joe is the ice. Its joes first job as a manager. Some of you guys like me are managers of employees and you probably remember the first time you got that position there was a lot you had to learn about people and situations before you found your groove. So its pretty simplistic of me to say but we have to wait and see what the results are. If we go 10-6 or make the playoffs then nobody will give a crap about Joe Philbin's personality.
You must mean Mike Sherman there...?

He gave a bad nick name to Wallace in front of national TV show, and the player seemed to be embarrassed by it. This act to me is not a good way to earn players' respect.

My guess Is you didn't play football. Hard knocks actually limits some of the "fraternity/hazing" elements of the game. Heck, even at the high school level coaches openly rip into players. It is what it is. Getting called ankle weights was humorous. Wallace knows the coaches are rooting for him.

Regarding philbin, I believe he's a class act. Glad he's ours and the "bewb" is gone!

Back
Top Bottom