Joe Philbin Left His Mark On Many Young Packers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin Left His Mark On Many Young Packers

What I get from that is that either A) his sons death has affected him severely----as anyone could imagine it would
B) The make-up of our front office is a cage of buffoons

You don't get that kind of resounding praise (with that much heartfelt passion for the guy) if you don't know how to coach and mentor your players. I've been pretty down on him lately but that really shows me something about him.

Funny that there is people screaming for Harbaugh when all of HIS reports are that the players hate his guts and have ZERO support of him.....yet 4 years later our opposing team can't wait to come see their mentor and have nothing but praise for him as a leader.

This is a HUGE reason why I wouldn't take Harbaugh now as a coach. Harbaugh doubled down on Kaep as QB, but in the process he's created a QB and team culture that doesn't respect him? That's on him 100 percent.

People failure. Coaching x and o, not a failure. But in this league, the human part will cost you your job.

Kaep and co. = coach killers. And Harbaugh chose it and fosters it.

Not good. Philbin is better for a team than Harbaugh, imo (but let's not pretend that Philbin is great -- too many questionable moves).

LD

An article from the Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel. Oct, 7th 6:16pm

Talks about Joe Philbin's relationships with players and the respect they have for him along with his accomplishments, the adversity he has overcome, and the positive impressions he left as a coach with the Green Bay Packers.

58669soyouretellingmetheresacSm9B-1.gif

Joe was so unqualified to get the Fins gig.

If I look at Philbin's body of work in Miami, I wouldn't say I'm outright impressed -- 17-19, a few locker-room disasters, a few botched must-win games, and the growing pains are very clear and very irksome.
But, I do like where he's leading up to, a guy who can set the game-plan necessary to win some very tough games through clean execution.

His coaching style isn't necessarily a popular one with fans (not with me at least), he's not a rah-rah guy but more calm and calculated, he's not flexible with how to use players in that they have to stick to the books and get it down pat his way.
But at the same time, that could be a very good recipe for long-term success if things finally click (like the Raiders game) and everyone buys in to what he's selling. If he can truly mold players to finesse levels, then the Fins could be like the Pats, Steelers, or other great regimes that bring out the best in their players by having elite systems that run it "their way."
Again though, the buy-in culture has to be set, and the only way for Philbin to sell it successfully is to win.

Comparing the talent on the 49ers and the Fins over the last 2 years is a huge reason why the Fins and 49ers are sk far apart. If Harbaugh was here the rdcord might have been the same. The fans would turn on him as well without results
Philbin is not a head coach imho, but what has een done here is improvement. This team needs to take another step forward. Not sure who can coach this team, but I would like a more experienced hc

As good as it'll make some of the Packer players feel to get to see Philbin again, I hope they feel equally as bad after a loss.

I think Philbin is and can grow into the job. He was too deferential to Sherman and is becoming more of the man without the knee-jerk, anal-retentive moves of his first 2 years that reeked of a guy who was insecure about his authority.

In the Hard Knocks, he did display some wit in his quips. Show me a man with wit and I'll show you intelligence and creativity.

Also, as bad as he 'mismanaged' the Tannehill situation, when has RT shown so much command before? Rat played QB like Forest Whitaker played defense in Fast Times at Ridg...
I love it. He shouldn't have second-guessed it though. You earn your minutes on this team no matter who you are. That was the right message, not the wrong one. Rex Ryan took the other path with Geno and look how that's turned out.

Fairness and competence wins your players respect, as well as consistency. Maybe it just takes time for Philbin to achieve as a HC what he did so well as the OCin GB. Organization, attn to detail, focus.

However, as much as Sherman sucked as the OC, he may have been the training wheels Tannehill needed early but traing wheels have to come off eventually cuz they slow you down. Those first days without them are tough but one day you just 'get it' and don't look back. Maybe that's what happened with Tannehill but he had to be pushed and Philbin pushed him.

We may look back on that one day as the moment a dynasty began.

I think Philbin is and can grow into the job. He was too deferential to Sherman and is becoming more of the man without the knee-jerk, anal-retentive moves of his first 2 years that reeked of a guy who was insecure about his authority.

In the Hard Knocks, he did display some wit in his quips. Show me a man with wit and I'll show you intelligence and creativity.

Also, as bad as he 'mismanaged' the Tannehill situation, when has RT shown so much command before? Rat played QB like Forest Whitaker played defense in Fast Times at Ridg...
I love it. He shouldn't have second-guessed it though. You earn your minutes on this team no matter who you are. That was the right message, not the wrong one. Rex Ryan took the other path with Geno and look how that's turned out.

Fairness and competence wins your players respect, as well as consistency. Maybe it just takes time for Philbin to achieve as a HC what he did so well as the OCin GB. Organization, attn to detail, focus.

However, as much as Sherman sucked as the OC, he may have been the training wheels Tannehill needed early but traing wheels have to come off eventually cuz they slow you down. Those first days without them are tough but one day you just 'get it' and don't look back. Maybe that's what happened with Tannehill but he had to be pushed and Philbin pushed him.

We may look back on that one day as the moment a dynasty began.

I'll have some of what you're having.

And I mean that in the most complimentary fashion.

Yeah, I still can't get over my buzz from the Oakland game, even if it was vs Oakland. The original article makes so many good pints too.
I mean, he couldn't have contributed to that much success in GB if he was a putz, which he has seemed like at times in his tenure here, but he wouldn't be the first HC to grow into a job.

Back
Top Bottom