Jonnu Smith visits Miami | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jonnu Smith visits Miami

Jonnu has struggled in Tennessee, NE, and even Altlanta. But the Falcons had Kyle Pitts, and Drake London, and of course Robinson. Jonnu had a breakout year in the forest of overgrown wide receivers, I just wonder if he becomes the TE1 in Miami, whether he will go back to being Jonnu. I wouldn't break the bank and not have a backup plan at TE1; if we get him for cheap great!

Relevant to cost for Jonnu Smith:

That’s a weird signing. I know Washington has money to burn but what is the point of spending that kind of money on a guy clinging to the end of his NFL career? Seems like Kingsbury was behind this one, hooking up one of his guys.

I am guessing Ertz will be more “teacher” than “player”. I get it, you need vets to help teach your system, wouldn’t have guessed that’s where he ended up.

Clearly the biggest offer Ertz was going to get so I understand why he took it.

Why? To block? Initially this seems unnecessary. But depends on how much money if so
Seriously? Have you watched this guy play?

When he was in Tennessee he made Tannehill look elite on A LOT of plays.

Once he and AJ left, that offense completely **** the bed, WITH a generational RB.

This is one of the things I don't think gets discussed enough.

Avg. Pocket time was 2.1secs
Avg time of release by Tua 2.3 seconds.

Pocket was already collapsed or not clean majority of the time.

This means a receiver typically needed to be open in 2 seconds, or 2.3.

Waddlle/ Hill/ Smythe/ Ingold/ Berrios/ Wilson.

I mean I was a QB and knew I had to find a target so quickly, I would probably zero in on Hill also.

This doesn't absolve Tua of potentially missing other open targets.

However,those quick passes up the seem to the TE were things of beauty. Not sure why that wasn't utilized more.

So I would argue, that was probably on Tua as he was programmed to KNOW he only had less then 2 seconds to make a decision on almost every pass.

This would also explain the 1 read narrative. I mean if his initial read was wrong, dude didn't have time to find another lol.

Smith, hopefully can help give him that security blanket. If he's signed of course.
This makes perfect sense. That said, stepping back and looking at the big picture shows us that it's always the o-line that seems to be a problem. This year they actually had a better line than in past years when the season started, although it was still far from being great. And, once injuries took their toll, it was a shambles... again. This was due to a complete failure by Grier and McDaniel to ensure that they went "above and beyond" to do everything possible to make sure that the line wouldn't be an issue again, and injuries are not an excuse.

For example, when Williams got hurt and went out, why was there no real Center on the active roster as a back-up? The fact that they started their worst o-lineman at Center because they had no one else shows that Grier and McDaniel didn't really care all that much about the line. Apparently, rather than bring in anyone and everyone in order to find some half-decent linemen, McDaniel figured that it was easier to just handicap the offense by forcing them to get rid of the ball immediately.

And he's always been the "potential" guy and never put together, exactly.

Hence the reason he's looking for his 4th team in as many years.

what concerns me is that they signed jonnu and henry at the same time.

henry "shined" (for lack of a better description), and jonnu was let go, both had the same sack of **** QB (mac jones).
I mean, of course I'd take Hunter Henry over Jonnu Smith. If I had to guess, I think Smith would be the better blocking TE over Henry anyways. I don't know how NE used them both.

I do remember Jonnu Smith being a playmaker and he is athletic. I think for bargain shopping, I think Jonnu Smith has more upside for what we will pay him.

Jonnu has struggled in Tennessee, NE, and even Altlanta. But the Falcons had Kyle Pitts, and Drake London, and of course Robinson. Jonnu had a breakout year in the forest of overgrown wide receivers, I just wonder if he becomes the TE1 in Miami, whether he will go back to being Jonnu. I wouldn't break the bank and not have a backup plan at TE1; if we get him for cheap great!
Looking over some of his stats:

His first few years in Tennessee were usual rookie TE low output numbers. Yeah 4 was the explosion. That year 4 (2020) roster had AJ Brown at WR, but the rest were Corey Davis, Adam Humphries, Nick Westbrook, etc. Nothing spectacular outside of Brown. Corey Davis had a career year (984 yds/5 TDs) and AJ Brown rocked (1,075 yds/11 TDs).

2020 in Tennessee was the career year for Jonnu Smith (448 yds/8 TDs).
TN in 2020 was the 3rd ranked Total Offense and the 23rd ranked Passing Offense.

2021 and 2022 were two duds in New England. (294 yds/1TD & 245yds /0 TD).
NE in 2021 was the 15th ranked Total Offense and 14th ranked Passing Offense.
NE in 2022 was the 26th ranked Total Offense and 20th ranked Passing Offense.

2023 in Atlanta saw a career high in REC Yards (582 yds/3 TDs).
Atlanta in 2023 was the 17th ranked Total Offense and the 22nd ranked Passing Offense.

Miami in 2023 was 1st in both categories.
Durham Smythe had 366 yds / 0 Tds last year.

In Miami, I could see Jonnu Smith bringing in 400 yds receiving. He has tremendous YAC for a TE, but I still don't see a whole lot more yards than Smythe just because Hill and Waddle gobble up so many. But where I think he would shine is those RZ TDs. His career year in Tennessee = them having the 3rd ranked Total Offense. They got the ball down near the RZ a lot. Even with AJ Brown in the mix snagging 11 TDs that year, Smith still brought down 8 of them himself. Not to mention Derrick Henry claiming 17 as well.

Jonnu Smith is 28. Older, little slower. But I think he would be a tremendous RZ option for Tua in this offense. A 6'3" 250 lb safety net that has shown in the right offense he can get you a lot of TDs at TE.

Don’t have to worry about Jonnu staying in shape, dude has an incredible physique and doing some digging takes it very seriously

That’s a weird signing. I know Washington has money to burn but what is the point of spending that kind of money on a guy clinging to the end of his NFL career? Seems like Kingsbury was behind this one, hooking up one of his guys.

I am guessing Ertz will be more “teacher” than “player”. I get it, you need vets to help teach your system, wouldn’t have guessed that’s where he ended up.

Clearly the biggest offer Ertz was going to get so I understand why he took it.
Rich Gannon on Sirius earlier today said this is indeed a Kliff Kingsbury signing, will help with installing the offense, pretty pricey for an older player coming off injury, but definitely backing up your take on it @The Ghost

Back
Top Bottom