Jonnu Smith visits Miami | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jonnu Smith visits Miami

I've never been a big fan of this guy but when you look at it, he's never had a decent QB in his career. Fills a need for sure.

Sign Jonnu Smith and draft a WR at 21 or 55 instead….. yup. Like I’ve been saying this is the class to find your WR3 and eventual Tyreek replacement opposite Waddle.
I’ve been against drafting a receiver because of the need at TE until now.

Can you imagine an offense with Hill, Waddle, Jonnu, Mostert, Achane, and Thomas Jr. or Worthy???

Just curious, If Dolphins sign Smith, what do you see as a fair contract in length and dollars? I believe he was making 8.5 mil per year for the Falcons..

I think this will be a great first signing as long as it’s a cheap deal which I’m assuming it will be!

Jonnu brings versatility to the TE position which is something we haven’t had in a long time. Jonnu instantly upgrades our TE room when it comes to receiving. If anything he upgrades our entire offense when it comes to receiving compared to what we had last year. He brings some physicality to our pass game too because of his yards after catch ability. He’s not the best blocker but he’s still serviceable and a much better blocker than Gesicki was.

So all in all I find this as a great signing as long as we do lock him up. Much more work to still do!

He’s def better than any tight end we’ve had in a long time.

Gesicki included which isnt saying much but overall Smith is much better, he’s got some speed, has good movement skills, can run after the catch. 100 times better blocker than Gesicki.

I'd be all over this at the right price- seems like a solid fit for this offense - as a combo TE....

Along with Austin Hooper seems a good short term solution at TE. If this frees us up to draft Xavier Legette, I'm all in.

Shame the Bowers dream is probably gone but he'll be gone by pick 12 IMO. Maybe much higher.

I like Gesicki as a human and a football player. BUT, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Gesicki was not, is not, and never will be a fit for a team that runs a lot of 21 formation.

Why? Because 21 formation requires that a TE be at least passable at in-line blocking. With either an inside or wide zone run out of a 21 formation, the TE has to block a LB (either in a gap or on his side of the line) on a running play. Opposing defenses have to respect the run out of this formation because of the potential extra blocker, except in one specific instance:

If the TE can't in-line block.

Gesicki was so bad at blocking that opposing defenses didn't have to worry about him. Therefore, if he was in-line blocking, defenses could cheat toward covering him, rather than worrying about him as a blocker. So what do you do with Gesicki? You put him in the slot and have Smythe block in line. Who suffered? Both Gesicki and Cedrick Wilson. Trying to jam Gesicki into Miami's offense just didn't work.

In 2023, the entire offense worked better. I'm not sure anyone can realistically deny that. Smythe had career highs in receiving, but he simply is neither quick nor fast. (Cedrick Wilson also doubled his output from the previous year. I'm not saying he was an optimal slot weapon, because he wasn't, but still.) The point is, TE was a utility position for Miami in 2023, but not a threat.

Jonnu Smith is a receiving threat. Is he a top 5 TE in the NFL? No. But he would make the entire offense work better, because he's a good in-line blocker AND a good receiving threat.

Is it McDaniel or Tua making that decision?
I've posed this question multiple times. I've said before that I really think McDaniel unofficially promised Hill he would be the main feature in the offense (because Hill was complaining about not being utilized enough in KC, yes I know the stats, I've posted articles about him saying this) plus Tua trying to prove everyone wrong about the deep ball. That was year one. Year two, Tyreek declares 2k yards. McD AND Tua both try to make that happen and almost forget or purposely avoid the checkdowns. So to your question, I think it's BOTH of them but now McD really needs to reign that **** in and control that. We absolutely need to spread the ball out more.

If a receiver has to be open in 2.5 seconds after the ball is snapped, Smythe is making that decision.

This is one of the things I don't think gets discussed enough.

Avg. Pocket time was 2.1secs
Avg time of release by Tua 2.3 seconds.

Pocket was already collapsed or not clean majority of the time.

This means a receiver typically needed to be open in 2 seconds, or 2.3.

Waddlle/ Hill/ Smythe/ Ingold/ Berrios/ Wilson.

I mean I was a QB and knew I had to find a target so quickly, I would probably zero in on Hill also.

This doesn't absolve Tua of potentially missing other open targets.

However,those quick passes up the seem to the TE were things of beauty. Not sure why that wasn't utilized more.

So I would argue, that was probably on Tua as he was programmed to KNOW he only had less then 2 seconds to make a decision on almost every pass.

This would also explain the 1 read narrative. I mean if his initial read was wrong, dude didn't have time to find another lol.

Smith, hopefully can help give him that security blanket. If he's signed of course.

Jonnu Smith saved my fantasy season when he blew up with the Titans. He has the talent to be a great TE for a fraction of the price. I like this signing if it's a team friendly deal.

Back
Top Bottom