Just don't understand???? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just don't understand????

I agree totally nizzle except i think smiley would be a legit pick @ 20 as well he might get picked up real quick after our pick. i would prefer smiley over carey but I am just basing that on numerous things ive read on the net, never seen either play or just don't remember when I was watching them. I wouldn't be upset at all if we picked up carey.

Originally posted by Dolphinizzle

Well, I for one agree with you. RG is our biggest need followed closely by RT. Hopefully when McIntosh gets healthy he can fill the void at RT. Other than that we have question marks at C, RG, and RT that need to be addressed. And I believe they will be.

Anyone who is holding on to hope of drafting Phil Rivers needs to get over it. We're not getting Phil Rivers. RS is putting his faith in A.J Feeley, and thats that. If you don't like it, tough. I find it hard to believe we invested a 2nd round pick in a QB to warm the bench. A.J. is gonna get his shot. Besides, seems quite a few teams are looking at QBs who are ahead of us. I don't think Rivers is even gonna make it to the 20th pick.

Anyone who is suggesting drafting defense with our first rounder is foolish. Our defense is fine as is. Maybe a S/LB in the later rounds but thats it. If Andrews or Carey aren't on board at 20, we trade down. Simple as that.

Thank you!!

Glad to see we're not alone on this planet TheBostonBomber lol.

Someone else on this ship has sense aslo.

But besides that you brought up a good point and that is RG is a more glaring need then RT and thats why i like smiley, but i just feel like a stud RT like Andrews can not be overlooked.

I think RT is more important but we did kind of already address that position, but not completely due to injury.

Andrews can be drafted and could very well stay at RT and someone else just move inside to RG.

Good post though.

EAt that GRAyThreat

Originally posted by TheBostonBomber
Graythreat, we have our Qb, stop holding on to false hope. If feeley doesn't cut it( He will IMO), we can draft or pick up FA next offseason. Lets start worrying about this season and making it ti the superbowl with our talent. Only way that will happen is to solidify o-line. Anyone disagree??

First, if Feeley doesn't cut it, and we draft a QB next year, then we still have a year before the guy is ready to start. That puts us at the 2006 season.

Second, it is hard to disagree that the OL is a key to winning a Super Bowl. Think a rookie G or RT can come in and play a full NFL season and handle the playoffs too? Without hitting a "rookie wall" because he is unused to a long season?

I don't think there is ONE player we can draft at #20 that will determine whether we get to the Big Dance this year. Rivers would need time to learn the NFL and the system. Andrews or whoever would also struggle I'm sure (see Wade Smith last season).

The question is who will benefit us more next year? QB or OL?

Third, you guys keep talking about having an OL to open holes for Ricky. What about a QB who can hit some deep passes and keep the safeties back? No matter who starts where on our OL, teams will keep stacking the line to stop Ricky. Even a good OL can only block so many defenders.

It's late, I'm probably not making my points very clear. Let me try to sum it up like this:

A good QB is harder to find than a good O-lineman (LT might be the exception) so I think QB HAS to take priority. IF Rivers is there at #20, he is the BPA and best long term option. If he is gone, as seems likely, then draft OL. I'm just trying to point out the more important postion.

Originally posted by Deus Ex Dolphin

First, if Feeley doesn't cut it, and we draft a QB next year, then we still have a year before the guy is ready to start. That puts us at the 2006 season.

Second, it is hard to disagree that the OL is a key to winning a Super Bowl. Think a rookie G or RT can come in and play a full NFL season and handle the playoffs too? Without hitting a "rookie wall" because he is unused to a long season?

I don't think there is ONE player we can draft at #20 that will determine whether we get to the Big Dance this year. Rivers would need time to learn the NFL and the system. Andrews or whoever would also struggle I'm sure (see Wade Smith last season).

Third, you guys keep talking about having an OL to open holes for Ricky. What about a QB who can hit some deep passes and keep the safeties back? No matter who starts where on our OL, teams will keep stacking the line to stop Ricky. Even a good OL can only block so many defenders.

It's late, I'm probably not making my points very clear. Let me try to sum it up like this:

A good QB is harder to find than a good O-lineman (LT might be the exception) so I think QB HAS to take priority. IF Rivers is there at #20, he is the BPA and best long term option. If he is gone, as seems likely, then draft OL. I'm just trying to point out the more important postion.

The only thing you said that was right was your first paragraph, everything went down hill from there.:lol:

Any player selected can come in from day one and produce it all depends on the player. Are you saying that hitting the rookie wall is something that all rookie's go through? I dont think so, it is just a term used for some players.

Wade Smith was not a first round player. Not that that has is saying much but we are talking about first rounders, not third rounders. There is a reason that there is a difference between third rounders and 1st rounders. Just note that.

Defenders crowded the Oline for numerous reasons last yr, some of those reasons we have already addressed. David Boston, need i say more Dolphin fans?

Yes a Qb is the most important part of any team that is true but we will not select one in the 1st round, mark my words on that. If the question is who will benefit us most next yr Qb or Ol the answer is Ol.

Originally posted by Deus Ex Dolphin

Yeah dude, about the Wade Smith issue

There's a huge difference in first round and third round linemen, Wade Smith didn't play stellar but he didn't struggle mightily like some people say he did. He was a third round underweight former tight end who was RUSHED in to play due to injuries. All he needs is a little more weight and he could be a stud. Just because Wade Smith may have "struggled" every rookie lineman won't. Orlando Pace and Jonathan Ogden didn't "struggle" in their rookie seasons

I am not talking to you guys anymore. You are too narrow minded to understand simple concepts.

After doing some research on last year's draft, I found that 4 OL were taken in the first round. Names like Jordan Gross, George Foster, Jeff Faine, and Kwame Harris. Of which, two had injuries: George Foster and Jeff Faine and weren't able to contribute to their team's success their "first" year. Jordan Gross seems to be the consensous stud of the group, he started his whole rookie year. All of these guys are potential stud OL but one of the four of them produced their first year. I don't see how we can expect "any" OL picked in the first to come in and contribute right away. History has shown it doesn't work like that, there's usually one stud and the rest are good but not their first year in the system.

We need to draft another Wr so we can constantly put pressure on the opposing defense. If we have three dangerous receiving threats, than trust me the O-line play will be that much better.

I just thought of something, we've been able to get most of our best defensive players with 2nd round and lower picks. TimBo being the exception. It seems like we've had a hard time developing offensive lineman. I think that it's time to spend a high pick on the OL, when's the last time we did? Richmond Webb? Look how he did, I think he was worth the pick. Although it's never a guarantee that a 1st rounder is going to end up showing he's worth the pick, you've got to take a chance.

Remember, it all starts at the line of scrimmage. The team that can control the line of scrimmage can dominate whether on offense or defense. A great offensive line can make a good QB, WR, RB, or TE great by giving them time/space to look down field/get open/ not have to make 3 moves to just make it back to the line of scrimmage. A poor offensive line can make a great QB, RB, WR, or TE look like an XFL'er because of constant pressure on QB and RB.

Originally posted by KyPhinfan13
I just thought of something, we've been able to get most of our best defensive players with 2nd round and lower picks. TimBo being the exception. It seems like we've had a hard time developing offensive lineman. I think that it's time to spend a high pick on the OL, when's the last time we did? Richmond Webb? Look how he did, I think he was worth the pick. Although it's never a guarantee that a 1st rounder is going to end up showing he's worth the pick, you've got to take a chance.

Remember, it all starts at the line of scrimmage. The team that can control the line of scrimmage can dominate whether on offense or defense. A great offensive line can make a good QB, WR, RB, or TE great by giving them time/space to look down field/get open/ not have to make 3 moves to just make it back to the line of scrimmage. A poor offensive line can make a great QB, RB, WR, or TE look like an XFL'er because of constant pressure on QB and RB.

Billy Milner

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
I am not talking to you guys anymore. You are too narrow minded to understand simple concepts.

Agreed, these two sit in there and have a pow wow patting themselves and eachother on the back because their ignorant enough to think that they're right and the rest of the world is wrong. It's aight though, some people use the internet as an ego boost for their shallow lives. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the same poster giving himself props :lol:

Originally posted by DolFinatic718

The only thing you said that was right was your first paragraph, everything went down hill from there.:lol:

Any player selected can come in from day one and produce it all depends on the player. Are you saying that hitting the rookie wall is something that all rookie's go through? I dont think so, it is just a term used for some players.

Wade Smith was not a first round player. Not that that has is saying much but we are talking about first rounders, not third rounders. There is a reason that there is a difference between third rounders and 1st rounders. Just note that.

Defenders crowded the Oline for numerous reasons last yr, some of those reasons we have already addressed. David Boston, need i say more Dolphin fans?

Yes a Qb is the most important part of any team that is true but we will not select one in the 1st round, mark my words on that. If the question is who will benefit us most next yr Qb or Ol the answer is Ol.

So who could we draft on OL that would step in a start right away? They can't just be "okay" either. They have to play well or we won't be getting far in the playoffs. Wade Smith was not ready to start last year, and we payed for it by losing games. He seems physically ready to start now, having bulked up and has game experience. I expect good things out of him this year.

Caneproud117 made a great point about how only 1 of 4 first round OL guys produced in their rookie year last season. So again, will the OL guy we draft be able to step in and play all season at a decent level? If he takes a year to develop, as most guys do, then that kills your "we must win this year by drafting OL" idea.

For the record, Andrews concerns me due to weight issues, which tell me he lacks self-discipline. That is a red flag. Yet he is one of the top three OL in the draft? Not exactly a guarantee to start every game this season, huh? Even if he is a first round pick.

Defenders will still crowd the line of scrimmage this year. I know I would. Even with Boston here, you know Jay won't be hitting many deep passes and Feeley has to PROVE he can. Ricky will certainly kill you slowly if you let him. So stack the line and force the QB to beat you with the pass. That is how teams will defend us, and why we need a good QB.

What's funny is how we, essentially, both agree that we will NOT be taking a QB at #20. You, because OL take priority in your mind, me because I don't think Rivers will be there. :lol:

We agree to disagree? Great. Go Fins, and whatever happens I hope it all works out for the best.

Graythreat, we have our Qb, stop holding on to false hope. If feeley doesn't cut it( He will IMO), we can draft or pick up FA next offseason. Lets start worrying about this season and making it ti the superbowl with our talent. Only way that will happen is to solidify o-line. Anyone disagree??

Lots of people disagree with you.

We need value with our pick, not a reach. If the best player available is an OL, then its a good pick. If the best player is a QB, then thats the best pick. Same goes for WR.

You stated that in your opinion Feeley will be an upgrade. He didn't play last year, and has never been good enough to start. So your opinion is based on nothing other than hope and specualtion. That's ok. I think we're all hopeful that Feeley will be a great player. He hasnt ever proven though that he is.

Several of the professionals in the FO jobs feel Rivers can be a Franchsie QB. Same goes for Manning, and Ben Roths....far fewer are saying Feeley can be a franchsie QB. That said, If Rivers is on the board when we pick, and Andrews is gone, I expect us to draft Rivers. We may do it even if Andrews is on the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lets draft for this year with our first, and next year with the rest if that makes u happy. We can't let o-linemen go by us, not again.

We need a late round OL more than we need a potential Franchise QB? Sorry, I don't buy it. It is much easier to draft a 3rd round OL that can come in and start than it is to land a franchise QB. We almost never have a chance to draft a franchsie QB where we pick. We can always find Starting OL many places.

Back
Top Bottom