Just don't understand???? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just don't understand????

Originally posted by TheBostonBomber

Andrews, Smiley,(Carey?) have a good chance of becoming perrenial pro-bowlers. Reading it everywhere.

I read more of the same about Rivers.

Most people in the football world (speaking as a coach of 20 years) think a QB is more important than a RT or RG.

Originally posted by Deus Ex Dolphin

A good QB is harder to find than a good O-lineman (LT might be the exception) so I think QB HAS to take priority. IF Rivers is there at #20, he is the BPA and best long term option. If he is gone, as seems likely, then draft OL. I'm just trying to point out the more important postion.

Preach it brother. The FA OL we have made offers too all have more proven game experience than Feeley. We don't pass on a franchise QB at 20 overall with an uncertain QB situation.

Originally posted by Dolphinizzle

Anyone who is holding on to hope of drafting Phil Rivers needs to get over it. We're not getting Phil Rivers. RS is putting his faith in A.J Feeley, and thats that. If you don't like it, tough. I find it hard to believe we invested a 2nd round pick in a QB to warm the bench. A.J. is gonna get his shot. Besides, seems quite a few teams are looking at QBs who are ahead of us. I don't think Rivers is even gonna make it to the 20th pick.

If Rivers is there at 20 then we will draft him. (Everyone else posting knows what were gonna do so I figured I might as well pretend I do to)

As far as using a 2nd round pick to get a bench warmer (As you put it). Then why do so many teams waste a first round draft pick on a QB when they know he will be sitting down learning the system for a year?

Originally posted by caneproud117
After doing some research on last year's draft, I found that 4 OL were taken in the first round. Names like Jordan Gross, George Foster, Jeff Faine, and Kwame Harris. Of which, two had injuries: George Foster and Jeff Faine and weren't able to contribute to their team's success their "first" year. Jordan Gross seems to be the consensous stud of the group, he started his whole rookie year. All of these guys are potential stud OL but one of the four of them produced their first year. I don't see how we can expect "any" OL picked in the first to come in and contribute right away. History has shown it doesn't work like that, there's usually one stud and the rest are good but not their first year in the system.

Excellent post. The facts and history overall support the idea that no pick is a sure pick to start. Thats why drafting the Best player available is always a good idea.

We should draft the best player available if we feel the value is there at that spot. Otherwise, we should try to trade down. This is the best overall philosophy so that we don't reach for players and we get the most TALENT out of the draft. If there are any holes we didn't fill with the draft, we still have plan C free agency.

If rivers is there we will pass on him, maybe we will get a awesome trade offer from some team who needs a qb cause we don't. I can't wait until the draft.

For some odd reason I hope that rivers falls to twenty, we won't pick him mind you, we will do what is best for the team to win a sb this year and the future, that is picking o-line.

I will come to this mb when were finished picking o-line with our first overall pick(whether from a trade down or just staying at 20), after passing up rivers, and read all the winey a$$ posts. I will have a good laugh while smoking a cigarete perfectly relaxed cause my team just made the right decision.

We will go o-line wether rivers is there or not(he wont be imo).

Remember guys, this is just my humble opinion of what I think will happen.

:lol: at that "humble opinion" part.

I wish I had your confidence about being set at the QB spot, Bostonbomber. I'm not though. Hopeful about Feeley, but I know there is a question mark there.

I find it funny that you point out how we could trade away the #20 pick to a team that wanted to draft Rivers, if he is there at #20. You're right too. It wouldn't be hard to do so, since there are always teams looking to upgrade at QB.

In fact, even if we got Rivers this year, I'm sure we could trade him away NEXT year if Feeley is all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips. For a first round pick too. QBs have a lot of value in this league.

I'm saying, for the record, that Rick will take Rivers if he is there. I think he knows the value of having another good QB prospect and that at worst, we can trade Rivers away next year for a first rounder.

If Rivers and Andrews are there, as much as I love Rivers.....can't see passing on Andrews. Means you give up on Feeley (and a #2 pick) before one pass is thrown. Also makes you look like an idiot for giving up such a high pick in a guy you don't seem to believe in.

Can't wait for next Saturday.

No, it means you are not betting on Feeley and only Feeley to be the answer at QB. Even if we don't get Andrews, we will have options for the OL. At QB we can only go back to Jay. :cry:

Besides, we would need a solid #2 QB, right? :D Even if he isn't starter material, Feeley has at least shown he can hold the fort for several games as a #2 QB.

Yeah, at least Saturday will end this madness!! :lol:

I think the price of his market was the deciding factor in why we had to give up so much for him. He was one of the best Qb's in a weak free agent pool this year. If I was RS I would have done the same thing, because you never know if that francise QB will drop to you at 20 (highly unlikely) and there's no one else out there that's starter material and we went into this offseason needing to address the QB position. If we lost out on Feeley, then we go into the draft "hoping" a good QB is there or have to trade up to get one, losing our second for next year anyways.

Originally posted by TheBostonBomber
If rivers is there we will pass on him, maybe we will get a awesome trade offer from some team who needs a qb cause we don't. I can't wait until the draft.

For some odd reason I hope that rivers falls to twenty, we won't pick him mind you, we will do what is best for the team to win a sb this year and the future, that is picking o-line.

I will come to this mb when were finished picking o-line with our first overall pick(whether from a trade down or just staying at 20), after passing up rivers, and read all the winey a$$ posts. I will have a good laugh while smoking a cigarete perfectly relaxed cause my team just made the right decision.

We will go o-line wether rivers is there or not(he wont be imo).

Remember guys, this is just my humble opinion of what I think will happen.

Yes...sounded very humble.
I think the Dolfans on this board will be alot more supportive of who the FO picks than you think. Rivers or no Rivers, Andrews or no Andrews.

I for one think people are putting way too much stock in the No. 1 pick coming in and dramatically upgrading the team immediately. I would rather have the Phins draft the best available player regardless of the position. I feel the more immediate improvements are made with players who have proven it in the NFL.

Since linemen, wide receivers, and quarterback seem to be hot topics for whatever it is worth here is my opinion.

Line Situation
I personnally like the moves RS has made on the offensive line. He has added a reliable guard who has proven it, one right tackle (question mark due to health, but expected to make a recovery and to play next year), one right tackle who has started in the past. The Dolphins have a left tackle who gained valuable experience last year as a rookie and should be solid. I feel the bigger questions on the line deal with center and guard, however, I do not feel it is unreasonable to assume that 2 of the 3 guys (McKinney, Jerman or Whitley) have developed to the point they can be starters in the NFL. If only one has developed bring back Ruddy to start at center.

Wide Receiver Situation
Chambers is a lock, Boston should be a lock (unless attitude gets in the way), the rest of the group is a question mark.

Quarterback Situation
Feeley (hopefully the answer). Fiedler (good backup). Sage (who knows).

Final Point
Draft players who you think are worthy of the selection at that particular point in the draft or trade down for more picks. To reach and hope to fill a need at a particular position is always a bad move. The player we get in the first round or any round for that matter needs to come in and prove it. They will struggle at times but hopefully develop. The large majority of 1st round picks do not dominate from the get go, many do not even start their first year. PICK THE BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER --- REGARDLESS OF POSITON.

Back
Top Bottom