Just realized we only have two defensive tackles on the roster... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just realized we only have two defensive tackles on the roster...

I personally like the draft strategy. It's a really weak DT class so just totally igore it in FA. Same with OL. Not like there's a need.

Might as well double down on that ace high and sign a few TEs and S with enough investment to make benching them and prioritizing the position a head scratcher ... in a very deep class. Throw LB into the mix as well. Projecting an 11 year vet from pitts 3-4 and virtually guaranteeing his salary into our funky wide 9 is a safe decision. Great if it works ... predictably dolphins if not and they pass on the position because the box is already checked.

At least Mike T is there making decisions to make me feel better ...

It will become more clear after the draft but right now I feel like I'm waiting for the sailboat in the 3D picture to appear.

Or maybe we'll give up more first round real estate for 'starters' and we can keep sittin here watching the wheels go round and round ...

Wait till we pass on Reddick for Lamp to justify keeping Timmons on the field in nickel because of that contract.

I wouldn't take a DT early, not really because there are greater needs, it's pretty high on the list in my eyes, but because it's a pretty weak class. Which is why I wanted to sign Bennie Logan or Poe or Hankins.

DT is weak, but players that can play DE/DT like Wormley and McDowell are intriguing because of that versatility. Wish McDowell didn't have so many red flags, because he is definitely a disrupter that might have the better NFL career once his technique issues get cleaned up.

DT is a priority, but this draft is unfortunately week at the DT position. I expect there will be one veteran free agent signed after the draft, maybe another veteran signed after camp cuts, plus some bottom roster churn from other practice squads.

Going forward, I don't think you'll see this front office use a high pick or a lot of money on another DT. Suh was and should be the exception, not the rule.

DT is weak, but players that can play DE/DT like Wormley and McDowell are intriguing because of that versatility. Wish McDowell didn't have so many red flags, because he is definitely a disrupter that might have the better NFL career once his technique issues get cleaned up.
I'm glad the Dolphins are visiting with McDowell. They should get to know the kid. He's only 20 years old; who has their act together at that age? Get his side of the story, then make an educated decision. Suh and Wake are role model players and Gase is a good coach; McDowell (if he checks out OK) will thrive in Miami. I think he's this year's Tunsil, hopefully he falls in our lap. McDowell can rush inside/outside and stop the run inside/outside, who else in this draft can do that?

In the past Jared Odrick could. I wouldn't mind seeing him back in Miami. Him or his buddy Sen'Derrick Marks who has played well for the Jags in the past.

RW

Wait till we pass on Reddick for Lamp to justify keeping Timmons on the field in nickel because of that contract.

Being backed into a corner to the point where Lamp is on the 'must have list' is bad enough itself ... for 20 years and counting ... but I agree.

I wouldn't take a DT early, not really because there are greater needs, it's pretty high on the list in my eyes, but because it's a pretty weak class. Which is why I wanted to sign Bennie Logan or Poe or Hankins.

Fair enough. I thought you were suggesting one of our top two picks on a DT.

Miami will get a 3rd DT in time. There always rotational 3rd DT's on the market

We started last year with 4 DT's. Chris Jones and Julius Warmsely were the backups. Both were equally ineffective.

This is Nick Williams 4th year in the league and he has exactly ZERO starts and 14 tackles. Ran a 4.84 40 with a 1.70 10 yard split coming out of Samford, drafted by Pit in round 7, sent to IR then PS then picked up by another 3-4 team to play DE.

Lawrence Okoye was undrafted and never played college ball. He was a discus thrower in the 2012 Summer Olympics. He ran a 4.78 40 with a 1.68 10 yard split at the combine. He has a 36" vertical. He is on his 6th team in 6 years. 5 of them were 3-4 teams.

Head coach Bruce Arians said that a leading reason for Okoye's release was because Okoye parked his car in Arians' parking spot at team facilities

Both seem to be athletic guys but they are nothing to count on at this point. They will be lucky to make the PS.

We all know Warmsely looked great last preseason against future PS players but was highly over-matched in a regular season game.

AVAILABLE FA DT's................

Arthur Jones DT 30
Vince Wilfork DT 35
Sen'Derrick Marks DT 30
Roy Miller DT 29
Paul Soliai DT 33
Jonathan Babineaux DT 35
Sean Lissemore DT 29
Corbin Bryant DT 29
Kedric Golston DT 33
Tony McDaniel DT 32
Leger Douzable DT 30
Ricardo Mathews DT 29
Devon Still DT 27
Chas Alecxih DT 28
Dylan Wynn DT 23
Travis Raciti DT 24

We started last year with 4 DT's. Chris Jones and Julius Warmsely were the backups. Both were equally ineffective.

This is Nick Williams 4th year in the league and he has exactly ZERO starts and 14 tackles. Ran a 4.84 40 with a 1.70 10 yard split coming out of Samford, drafted by Pit in round 7, sent to IR then PS then picked up by another 3-4 team to play DE.

Lawrence Okoye was undrafted and never played college ball. He was a discus thrower in the 2012 Summer Olympics. He ran a 4.78 40 with a 1.68 10 yard split at the combine. He has a 36" vertical. He is on his 6th team in 6 years. 5 of them were 3-4 teams.

Both seem to be athletic guys but they are nothing to count on at this point. They will be lucky to make the PS.

We all know Warmsely looked great last preseason against future PS players but was highly over-matched in a regular season game.

AVAILABLE FA DT's................

Arthur Jones DT 30
Vince Wilfork DT 35
Sen'Derrick Marks DT 30
Roy Miller DT 29
Paul Soliai DT 33
Jonathan Babineaux DT 35
Sean Lissemore DT 29
Corbin Bryant DT 29
Kedric Golston DT 33
Tony McDaniel DT 32
Leger Douzable DT 30
Ricardo Mathews DT 29
Devon Still DT 27
Chas Alecxih DT 28
Dylan Wynn DT 23
Travis Raciti DT 24

That list is about as underwhelming as the remaining FA G list. There should be some other names added after the draft though.

That list is about as underwhelming as the remaining FA G list. There should be some other names added after the draft though.

Yes and you can see some guys that used to be darn good players. Not a good sign for us that most of these guys hit the DT boneyard around 30 years old. (Suh is 30). There are exceptions but time is running out to utilize this guy with his 26M cap hit in 2018 & 28M in 2019. He's likely gone in 2020.

Get him some friggin help already. All we have is Phillips who will be a FA in 2019 if he makes it that far.

Fair enough. I thought you were suggesting one of our top two picks on a DT.

I mean it would certainly be justified. Think about it, a guy like Lippett is further along than Phillips, but if we cut Maxwell today corner would instantly have to become a target in the first couple rounds because I'd be terrified starting Lippett, he simply isn't ready, neither is Phillips. But we lowballed the better DTs in free agency so as of now the job is basically handed to him.

If I'm Miami I forget about Trumaine Johnson and see what it will take to pry Danny Shelton away from Cleveland, let's see just how much they value draft picks.

I mean it would certainly be justified. Think about it, a guy like Lippett is further along than Phillips, but if we cut Maxwell today corner would instantly have to become a target in the first couple rounds because I'd be terrified starting Lippett, he simply isn't ready, neither is Phillips. But we lowballed the better DTs in free agency so as of now the job is basically handed to him.

If I'm Miami I forget about Trumaine Johnson and see what it will take to pry Danny Shelton away from Cleveland, let's see just how much they value draft picks.

I don't think Trumaine Johnson was ever a legit trade option.

Or am I missing something?

Dan Williams (age 29) DT was just released by the Raiders http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/18/raiders-release-dan-williams/
The team announced on Tuesday that defensive tackle Dan Williams has been released. Williams was set to count $4.5 million against the cap and the Raiders will get all of that money back as a result of Tuesday’s move. Williams signed a two-year deal with Oakland before the start of the 2015 season and played in every game for the Raiders in his two years with the team. Williams started 26 regular season games and last year’s playoff loss to the Texans while compiling 65 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

DT Dan Williams just got cut there in Oakland.is he worth bring in.

Back
Top Bottom