Just talked w/ a Jets buddy of mine, and... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just talked w/ a Jets buddy of mine, and...

-81- McMichael

Active Roster
Reaction score
... we were talking about this weekend's game and everything and about the prospect of starting 0-2 and then maybe even 0-3, and that's when he said this:

"I'll tell you what. Whoever loses this game... so what? Last year, when we stumbled out of the gate, everyone - and I mean E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E - had the Jets finishing last at 6-10 or something like that. And YOU GUY'S! You guy's looked incredible after that Denver game and, again, EVERYONE had you going to, at the very least, the AFC Championship game. Buuuuut (and here's the whole main point of this)...

... THE SEASON IS 16 GAMES... and a LOT of things can AND WILL happen."

It's funny, but it's taken my listening to a Jets fan for me to finally start to chill out and relax and enjoy the game again.

Go figure!

And... GO 'Phins!!!

Originally posted by -81- McMichael
... we were talking about this weekend's game and everything and about the prospect of starting 0-2 and then maybe even 0-3, and that's when he said this:

"I'll tell you what. Whoever loses this game... so what? Last year, when we stumbled out of the gate, everyone - and I mean E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E - had the Jets finishing last at 6-10 or something like that. And YOU GUY'S! You guy's looked incredible after that Denver game and, again, EVERYONE had you going to, at the very least, the AFC Championship game. Buuuuut (and here's the whole main point of this)...

... THE SEASON IS 16 GAMES... and a LOT of things can AND WILL happen."

It's funny, but it's taken my listening to a Jets fan for me to finally start to chill out and relax and enjoy the game again.

Go figure!

And... GO 'Phins!!!

Yeah go figure.

Oliver...

The only problem is, the Jets have a history of being able to come back and do well later in the season after starting slow. They've done it several times, under a couple different coaches. The Dolphins have a history of playing well early and fading late. The way to correct that problem is to play better late in the year, not play worse early.

I just wandered on to theganggreen.com and I realize that the Jets really hate us. I was going to wish them luck (as a true sportsman would) but they are concentrating on Zack and Sam being hurt and our other injuries.
I couldn't reply because I'm not a member, so if any of you are, wish them luck from me.

I think we should have a little "panty raid" on their site.:cool:

Agreed. Good point, but...

Originally posted by RikWriter
The only problem is, the Jets have a history of being able to come back and do well later in the season after starting slow. They've done it several times, under a couple different coaches. The Dolphins have a history of playing well early and fading late. The way to correct that problem is to play better late in the year, not play worse early.

... I will add this:

The Bucs lost their first game AND had a fair amount of problems getting their offense "ramped up" until late in the season. MOREOVER, the Bucs also had a history of playing poorly towards the end and, especially, in cold weather. BOTH of these issues appeared to be corrected last year.

As with them... I believe that there is always a time for turning things around, ie bucking trends. But, first, the 'Phins DO have to iron out quite a few things. No doubt, the talent is there. But they really have to want it. And they really have to lay it out on the line.

Re: Agreed. Good point, but...

Originally posted by -81- McMichael

... I will add this:

The Bucs lost their first game AND had a fair amount of problems getting their offense "ramped up" until late in the season. MOREOVER, the Bucs also had a history of playing poorly towards the end and, especially, in cold weather. BOTH of these issues appeared to be corrected last year.

As with them... I believe that there is always a time for turning things around, ie bucking trends.

And you know how the Bucs did it?
That's right: by going out and getting a new head coach, not previously attached to the team, with a new attitude, a winner with a track record of taking a team deep into the playoffs. And that is exactly what Huizenga needs to do.

My only problem with this train of thought is that the Bucas and Jets had scenarios that we don't. For the Bucs, they were getting used to a brand new HC and a brand new O-scheme. For the Jets, they were dealing with a brand new D-line that took time to jell. We've got a grand total of 3 new starters on the ENTIRE team, and we're in our 2nd year with the O. If any team in the NFL should have come out of the gates on fire it's the Phins. Right now I'm giving the tema the benefit of the doubt that they just got too ****y, and might have FINALLY learned their lesson(should have been learned after game 16). But if anyone is expecting us to "grow" over the season, I have to ask them...what exactly do we have to grow INTO?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the whole point of this thread is just to say lets have some patience and faith. You never know what will happen in a 16 game season. Yes our history is that we do not finish strong, but you never know. Haven't you ever had a class in college (or HS or whatever) that just seemed impossible to you and then something clicked? Maybe the team will finally just click and realize what it needs to do!?

If you can't have that optimisim of HOPE then how can you ever be a true fan? A fan that will still hope his/her team has a chance no matter what their record?

Originally posted by goldfish
I just wandered on to theganggreen.com and I realize that the Jets really hate us.

Believe me the feeling is mutual!
Jet fans are below even ****roaches on the evolutionary scale.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
My only problem with this train of thought is that the Bucas and Jets had scenarios that we don't. For the Bucs, they were getting used to a brand new HC and a brand new O-scheme. For the Jets, they were dealing with a brand new D-line that took time to jell. We've got a grand total of 3 new starters on the ENTIRE team, and we're in our 2nd year with the O. If any team in the NFL should have come out of the gates on fire it's the Phins. Right now I'm giving the tema the benefit of the doubt that they just got too ****y, and might have FINALLY learned their lesson(should have been learned after game 16). But if anyone is expecting us to "grow" over the season, I have to ask them...what exactly do we have to grow INTO?

Actually if you look at our roster we kept most of the starters intact.......but the truth is we have had a 40% roster change when the normal NFL team only has about 25%. Look at are roster there are over 20 new names on it.

Huh?

Gruden had a history of taking teh raiders deep in the playoffs? When, he one game in the playoffs each year 2000 and 2001 then got blown out. He had a 2-2 playoff record with the raiders, how is that exactly superb? Wanny was 1-2 in those same years, 1 game worse. I agree he had a big effect on that team when he took over, but he didnt exactly continually take teh raiders deep in the playoffs.

If we fail this year, I believe that is exactly what will happen, Wanny will be gone and I think we would take a fresh approach to the new coach.

No we have 2 new starters on defense plus a new nickel back and new totally diff schemes, well new wrinkles added that are diff from what we are used to. That does take time to get comfortable with.

My biggest concern, is that Wanny basically stated that we knew what the texans were doing but did nothing to adjust for it. Hey Wanny news flash, if you know what they are doing and what you are doing to stop it isn't working, it is time to try something else.

Re: Huh?

Originally posted by rickeyrunsover
Gruden had a history of taking teh raiders deep in the playoffs? When, he one game in the playoffs each year 2000 and 2001 then got blown out.

Sorry, perhaps we have different definitions of "deep." I consider the AFC Championship game to be deep. I also don't consider barely losing to the Pats in the "tuck rule" game to be "getting blown out."

As far as hating the Dolphins? You bet! Best rivalry I've ever known.

But as far as last year? Last year was a situation of getting up while the chips were down. For the Jets anyway. The sky was falling when Vinny got benched. Nobody knew what Chad could do then bang, he sparks the team cause they saw real talent him.

Also to add another remark about last year, the Jets were predicted by some to go to the SB. Look at that start and look at the way they finished.

The Dolphins though are a pure unadulterated enigma. I have no clue why they do what they do in December. And when the coach doesn't know either then you have issues. This game against Houston is one of two things. Houston is better than most think and Miami got caught off gaurd (which is how I feel) or there might be some problems down there that need to be addressed. I think they just need a kick in @$$ myself. And instead of playing with just pure talent I think a little heart is whats needed.

clear.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Re: Agreed. Good point, but...

Originally posted by RikWriter

And you know how the Bucs did it?
That's right: by going out and getting a new head coach, not previously attached to the team, with a new attitude, a winner with a track record of taking a team deep into the playoffs. And that is exactly what Huizenga needs to do.

Well that's not happening this year, you need to get over it. If we continue to struggle you will get your wish, but then things will get worse before they get better.

Back
Top Bottom