Just talked w/ a Jets buddy of mine, and... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just talked w/ a Jets buddy of mine, and...

Originally posted by Danikus

That's right and they probably do! Unlike some of the people here.

If that's the way you want to root for your team...feel free. I've never been good at denial or self delusionment, so I can't live in that world. I leave my blind faith for my religious beliefs. For everything else, I tend to want some basis in fact.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Agreed. Good point, but...

Originally posted by RikWriter

Everything we say here is a waste of time, in that it doesn't affect what happens on the field one bit.
As for changing a coach in midseason---no, it doesn't usually do much good. But even if it doesn't, it does set the right frame of mind for next season.

I guess I'm not ready to say "Let's scrap this season b/c of one loss so we can set the right frame of mind for next season"

A loss on opening day does not really constitute a slow start. What if we win 6 in a row? Did we still have a slow start?
Wannstedt has the third most victories in the NFL over the last three years, Fiedler the second most among active QB's. Let's let the season develope a little before we flush these guys down the toilet!!:yell: :yell:

Give it a rest naysayers, there's a long ways to go!

Go Dolphins!

A loss on opening day for a veteran team, at home, with an existing O/D game plan, against a bottom tier team constitutes a big giant load of crap. If we turn things around that's great, but quite honestly does ANYONE believe that we won't be lamenting this loss in week 16? When we're counting on a win against the Jets to make it to the Playoffs again, who WON'T be looking back to week 1 saying "we could have been set"? If you truly want to live in the present, you have to live in world where we are 0-1, just lost to a crappy team, and have injury issues as well.

So how is that a good thing? Believing your team will make the Superbowl when every bit of evidence says it won't happen? How is the inevitable disappointment, disillusionment and bitterness a good thing?

That's a kinda pessimistic outlook on things.... it's gotten waaay to serious in here.

There should be a disclaimer"For Entertainment Purposes Only."

So how is that a good thing? Believing your team will make the Superbowl when every bit of evidence says it won't happen? How is the inevitable disappointment, disillusionment and bitterness a good thing?

Inevitable disappointment? This is what being a sports fan means. Only one team in every sport wins it all, everybody else is disappointed.

As far as "every bit of evidence saying it won't happen" that's just a pessimistic, gross exaggeration. Pessimists see only the bad and ignore the good. This team still has enough talent to go a long way. That didn't change b/c of one loss.

C'mon guys! If you are so he// bent on being such realists, why be a fan at all? The Dolphins haven't won the SB in 30 years! Why bother following them at all? With that rationale, has the team has been losers for all that time? I don't think so. Call it blind faith or whatever you want but to me that is what being a fan is all about. Cheering for your team to win, whether or not you realistically believe they can or not. Even when we have had lesser teams I have watch every game, BELIEVING THAT WE COULD WIN. I am effected as much, if not more so, than anyone on this board when the Dolphins lose. But as long as there is another game to play, I will be there cheering them on. None of us has the power to control what happens on this team, other than to let them know we are ALWAYS pulling for them. Like Rik said earlier, all this bitzhing and moaning is pointless in the grand scheme of things. This is the hand that we are dealt this year, get behind them or don't. Just stop all the whining!

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

A loss on opening day for a veteran team, at home, with an existing O/D game plan, against a bottom tier team constitutes a big giant load of crap. If we turn things around that's great, but quite honestly does ANYONE believe that we won't be lamenting this loss in week 16? When we're counting on a win against the Jets to make it to the Playoffs again, who WON'T be looking back to week 1 saying "we could have been set"? If you truly want to live in the present, you have to live in world where we are 0-1, just lost to a crappy team, and have injury issues as well.

Give it a rest! Did destroying the Lions on opening day last year get us into the playoffs? It is what we do over the coarse of the season that matters, NOT the first game.

Originally posted by rafael

Inevitable disappointment? This is what being a sports fan means. Only one team in every sport wins it all, everybody else is disappointed.

As far as "every bit of evidence saying it won't happen" that's just a pessimistic, gross exaggeration. Pessimists see only the bad and ignore the good. This team still has enough talent to go a long way. That didn't change b/c of one loss.

He's referring to the fact that you glorified the Bengals fans holding out hope against all evidence to the contrary. If you think that's a trait to emulate, than you should be able to back it up from their perspective.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

Fine, but it's the starters that are going to play the vast majority of the downs, and it's the starters who played Sunday. Bottom line is that there were only 3 players out of 22 that had never played in that O or D prior to this season(Thompson has played in Turners O before). Bottom line, teams like the Bucs and Jets had an excuse for a slow start last season. The Phins don't.

I disagree besides the DB's Most of the team has a rotation. Different players come in for different schemes.

Originally posted by Oboy

If you can't have that optimisim of HOPE then how can you ever be a true fan? A fan that will still hope his/her team has a chance no matter what their record?

Would you be so optimistic if you went to work everyday and this big bully kept punching you in the back of the head?, or would you keep thinking.. "he wont punch me again today"! I would start to expect the same thing everyday? Pretty much how I feel about this team. Your team is getting worse and you dont even see it because of your blind faith. (wanny's 2nd year) we lose early in the playoffs, and start losing in December,(3rd year) we dont make the playoffs, (4th year) we are losing in September. Do you see the trend? We will be lucky to win five games this year.You want optimism?......Dave will not be here next year!

Give it a rest! Did destroying the Lions on opening day last year get us into the playoffs? It is what we do over the coarse of the season that matters, NOT the first game.

No it didn't...but losing to a bad Bills team DID keep us out of the Playoffs. Teams need to beat the teams they SHOULD beat if they're truly Superbowl worthy. Of course I'm rooting for the Phins on game day and every day before it!! But I'm not going to talk out of my a$$ while I'm doing it. I WANT them to win, I HOPE they win, but right now I can't EXPECT them to win. At this point, they played EXACTLY the same game in week 1 that they played last year in week 17. They apparently didn't learn a damn thing!! Maybe THIS week they turn it around...but right now they've played 3 bad games in a row that they should have won. I'll keep rooting for them, but don't ask me for blind faith when all the evidence I've been given points the other way. I've given my heart to the Phins, don't ask me to disconnect my brain for them as well.

Originally posted by -81- McMichael
...chill out and relax and enjoy the game again.

And... GO 'Phins!!!

i liked where the thread started. it's good to realize that football is "for entertainment purposes only," as well. this is a game, a distraction from the "disillusion" and disappointment that is a part of everyday life.

Originally posted by FinFrenzy

I disagree besides the DB's Most of the team has a rotation. Different players come in for different schemes.

We didn't give up the big plays when we had new players rotated in. We gave up the big plays from our starters. Make all the excuses you want, the bottom line is that our starters didn't come to play. If we get better it's because they decided to give 100%, not because they have to leran new schemes, or need more time together.

the starters have to decide they don't want the coach to be fired. if they DO want him to be fired, it could backfire on them, cuz a new guy could come in and make some personnel changes.

Did Fanatic change is user name to RikWriter ? I think his an undercover Jets fan..The more he writes the more I wonder if he's really a fan at all. Everything he says is negative. I wonder what's he's going to say when DW finally shuts him up..Rik how do you sleep at night with such a pessimistic view. I think we should name you the general manager since you know so much more than the people who gets paid for what they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom