Just talked w/ a Jets buddy of mine, and... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just talked w/ a Jets buddy of mine, and...

Re: Re: Re: Agreed. Good point, but...

Originally posted by Danikus

Well that's not happening this year, you need to get over it. If we continue to struggle you will get your wish, but then things will get worse before they get better.

Yes, I know and that's exactly what ticks me off to no end. Huizenga blew it. He should have yanked Wanny after the NE game---then we wouldn't have to have this conversation.
Still, it would vastly improve our year if he fired Wanny now and made Turner the interim head coach. I don't think Turner would be a HUGE improvement over Wanny, but what the firing would do is send a message to the primadonnas on this team (are you listening Sam Madison?) that their days are numbered. Maybe they would start playing to win instead of playing for a paycheck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Agreed. Good point, but...

Originally posted by RikWriter

Yes, I know and that's exactly what ticks me off to no end. Huizenga blew it. He should have yanked Wanny after the NE game---then we wouldn't have to have this conversation.
Still, it would vastly improve our year if he fired Wanny now and made Turner the interim head coach. I don't think Turner would be a HUGE improvement over Wanny, but what the firing would do is send a message to the primadonnas on this team (are you listening Sam Madison?) that their days are numbered. Maybe they would start playing to win instead of playing for a paycheck.

I don't totally disagree with you, I wasn't a big supporter of Wannstedt being coach in the first place. But with this team we should be able to win, regardless of who the coach is.

We all need to stop living in the past.

"That was then, this is NOW"

Originally posted by FinFrenzy

Actually if you look at our roster we kept most of the starters intact.......but the truth is we have had a 40% roster change when the normal NFL team only has about 25%. Look at are roster there are over 20 new names on it.

Fine, but it's the starters that are going to play the vast majority of the downs, and it's the starters who played Sunday. Bottom line is that there were only 3 players out of 22 that had never played in that O or D prior to this season(Thompson has played in Turners O before). Bottom line, teams like the Bucs and Jets had an excuse for a slow start last season. The Phins don't.

They went to the champ once, the Tuck game, excuse, they still had their chances and blew it. I was more referiing to your comment that consistently took the raiders deep in the playoffs, he did it once, that isnt what I call consistently.

Originally posted by BigFinFan

So what do you think will happen? Not what do you WANT to happen, but honestly, what do you believe is going to happen?
You've seen these guys play. You've seen these guys coach.
Do you think that Wanny and Bates can manage to make adjustments and save this season?
Do you think that self-aggrandizing narcissists like Madison and lazy underachievers like McKnight can pull a rectal-cranial inversion and start keeping their heads in the game?
Do you think that young, inexperienced talents like McMichael, Lee, and Smith can reduce their mental errors enough to keep from hurting the team?
Do you think that the key players on this team (Ricky, Chambers, Zach and Jason) can take the weight on their shoulders and carry the rest?
Do you think the physically-diminished veterans we've brought in can step their game up just one more season?

What do YOU think will happen?

Me, I think a LOT of things have to go right for us to have a chance at a Superbowl. A LOT. Usually, those breaks hit one, maybe two teams a year. And I don't believe we're lucky enough for it to be us.

Originally posted by BigFinFan

Agreed! I will keep on believing that we will go to the Super Bowl until we are officially eliminated fron the playoffs!

Originally posted by rickeyrunsover
No we have 2 new starters on defense plus a new nickel back and new totally diff schemes, well new wrinkles added that are diff from what we are used to. That does take time to get comfortable with.

My biggest concern, is that Wanny basically stated that we knew what the texans were doing but did nothing to adjust for it. Hey Wanny news flash, if you know what they are doing and what you are doing to stop it isn't working, it is time to try something else.

And the Texans instituted a brand new offense that they'd never played before, and they did it with a bunch of new players. We've got a veteran squad who are adapting to some new wrinkles. Which of those two groups should have been more successful? Face it man, we've got no excuse here. The Phins players mailed it in, and they got their butts handed to them. We'll find out Sunday if they can turn that around.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Agreed. Good point, but...

Originally posted by RikWriter

Wanny was not replaced in the off-season. It is what it is. Bitching about that is a waste of time. How many teams have been successful changing head coaches mid-season. I don't know the answer, but my guess is not many. It also doesn't seem to make much sense to replace a head coach with another head coach (Norv) with a poorer head coaching record. It seems Rik that you're making change for change sake. You're saying that the chances of this team coming together is small b/c of our poor Dec. history and your solution is to employ strategies with an even smaller success rate.

Originally posted by rickeyrunsover
They went to the champ once, the Tuck game, excuse, they still had their chances and blew it.

Wrong. They went to the AFC Championship game two years in a row under Gruden. They lost to the Ravens in 2001, the Pats in 2002. Both games fairly close IIRC.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

Fine, but it's the starters that are going to play the vast majority of the downs, and it's the starters who played Sunday. Bottom line is that there were only 3 players out of 22 that had never played in that O or D prior to this season(Thompson has played in Turners O before). Bottom line, teams like the Bucs and Jets had an excuse for a slow start last season. The Phins don't.

A loss on opening day does not really constitute a slow start. What if we win 6 in a row? Did we still have a slow start?
Wannstedt has the third most victories in the NFL over the last three years, Fiedler the second most among active QB's. Let's let the season develope a little before we flush these guys down the toilet!!:yell: :yell:

Give it a rest naysayers, there's a long ways to go!

Go Dolphins!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Agreed. Good point, but...

Originally posted by rafael

Wanny was not replaced in the off-season. It is what it is. Bitching about that is a waste of time. How many teams have been successful changing head coaches mid-season. I don't know the answer, but my guess is not many. It also doesn't seem to make much sense to replace a head coach with another head coach (Norv) with a poorer head coaching record. It seems Rik that you're making change for change sake. You're saying that the chances of this team coming together is small b/c of our poor Dec. history and your solution is to employ strategies with an even smaller success rate.

Everything we say here is a waste of time, in that it doesn't affect what happens on the field one bit.
As for changing a coach in midseason---no, it doesn't usually do much good. But even if it doesn't, it does set the right frame of mind for next season.

Originally posted by Danikus

That's right and they probably do! Unlike some of the people here.

So how is that a good thing? Believing your team will make the Superbowl when every bit of evidence says it won't happen? How is the inevitable disappointment, disillusionment and bitterness a good thing?

Back
Top Bottom