Just TWO GAMES... that's it... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just TWO GAMES... that's it...

-81- McMichael

Active Roster
Reaction score
TWO games was what seperated Miami from a THIRD consecutive 11-5 season and a league leading six straight years in the playoffs.

Now REALLY think about that. What two games could we have won?

Hell, we all know that had Fiedler not gotten injuried we likely would have beaten Buffalo and then the Jets. I mean, seriously, any old lady off the street with ZERO football experience could've played with more poise than Lucas. So that's two games.

Then there's the dropped pass by Carter in the Minn. game. And the pathetic call against Fletcher in the NE game. So another two games.

MY POINT IS THIS:

IF, and that's the rub here... IF we'd have gone 11-5 and had homefield throughout the playoffs (we would have at 11-5)...

Does ANYBODY still question Wanny's success as head coach of the Dolphins???

Now picture it:

2000: 11-5 and 1-1 in the playoffs.
2001: 11-5 and 0-1 with a loss to the defending SB champs.
2002: 11-5 and, quite likely, either 1-1 or 2-0 with a SB win or loss.

Seriously... GIVEN THE ABOVE... I think people find themselves applauding Dave's efforts so far... and expecting A LOT more. But no one would be dissing him like they are now.

Just something to think about.

Well yes, but we could have lost the Raider game and Bronco game. That would have been Wanny's death sentence.

Ok, but I'm really asking...

Originally posted by Jaj
Well yes, but we could have lost the Raider game and Bronco game. That would have been Wanny's death sentence.

... I'm really asking WHAT IF... we'd gone 11-5 or BETTER...

Let's go with the idea that we still win the Denver and Oakland games.

ANY of the four games that I mentioned had KEY PLAYS that could've led to a WIN... and they had NOTHING to do with Dave.

My only real frustration with Dave (and Mike Shula and Norv, too - they are even MORE responsible for this) is:

How is it possible that NONE OF THEM knew Lucas would be SOOOOOO uncomfortable under center? It's their JOB to assess this. And they were so adament about how, "we're not going to change the offense - we have 100% confidence in Lucas".

Well... uh... yeah. Anyway.

Also, lack of depth at WR should have been addressed during pre-season. And it wasn't. And Carter should never have been brought in. Fact is, I'd have like to see McMichael put in at WR... if even just for giggles. Though I believe it would have been enough of a wrinkle to get us by Minn. and/or NE.

Re: Ok, but I'm really asking...

Originally posted by -81- McMichael

... I'm really asking WHAT IF... we'd gone 11-5 or BETTER...

Let's go with the idea that we still win the Denver and Oakland games.

ANY of the four games that I mentioned had KEY PLAYS that could've led to a WIN... and they had NOTHING to do with Dave.

My only real frustration with Dave (and Mike Shula and Norv, too - they are even MORE responsible for this) is:

How is it possible that NONE OF THEM knew Lucas would be SOOOOOO uncomfortable under center? It's their JOB to assess this. And they were so adament about how, "we're not going to change the offense - we have 100% confidence in Lucas".

Well... uh... yeah. Anyway.

Also, lack of depth at WR should have been addressed during pre-season. And it wasn't. And Carter should never have been brought in. Fact is, I'd have like to see McMichael put in at WR... if even just for giggles. Though I believe it would have been enough of a wrinkle to get us by Minn. and/or NE.

I think you watched preseason like the rest of us..Lucas showed no indication that he would play that badly, as a matter of fact, some were calling for him to start over Jay, based on his preseason performance. When Jay went down, all assumed we were in good hands, no one foresaw the Buffalo game, his 1st drive of the day is what we assume what happen the rest of the game and games afterwards. The WR shuffle, I can't address, but Miami was caught totally unprepared, and then they didn't trust what they had..i.e., Mcknight and Baker..both who performed well when given the chance. Sometimes Coaches learn the hard way. So do we.:D

What bothers me, and the only thing about the coaching staff is, this illusion about bringing in one or two football players whether in retirement or otherwise, and thinking they will be the next "Run to Daylight" superstar. I am not trying to be negative about them but they should be more modest and realistic than they have been. Now, to answer the thread about 2 games; We should have beat the Chiefs and the Vikings, IMO

Plain and simple...

The Patriots game was winnable... We choked...

Well, yes the 2 games would have made a huge difference, but that can be said for any team. The Jets lost on a last minute TD to KC, a blocked FG to CLE, a fumble inside the 20 down 7 to CHI, and a drive stalled at the 40 down 7 against OAK. They win 2 more games, it's the same thing. Just sticking with the Jets example, what about the 1-3 start with VInny? I know you guys always focus on Fiedler's absense, but the Jets were equally as bad with VInny, as the Fins with Lucas. Or how about if Curtis Martin doesn't injure his ankle in the 1st game? He was 2nd in the league in yards the year before, and if he is healthy, the Jets are a much different team.

Lucas games were easily winnable. Bills game, the Jets game, and the Packers game he arguably lost for us.

after the raider game you guys were 9-5 just like Oakland and you had the tiebreaker...you also had momentum from 2 straight december (home) wins...then you lost extremely winnable games to Pats and Vikings...Lucas shouldn't even be apart of this conversation
Bills should of beat Jets week 1 and KC after the bye...but we didnt, look forward to this year, as i do

Ummm...

Originally posted by CirclingWagons
...Lucas shouldn't even be apart of this conversation
Bills should of beat Jets week 1 and KC after the bye...but we didnt, look forward to this year, as i do

Well, yes... you are right... BUT... we're playing the WHAT IF game here.

NOTE to future posters:

"We are playing the WHAT IF game."

That is, if you really want to address the original question.

Otherwise, by all means... continue...

So, remember, IF we'd gone 11-5 last year... would people be AS DOWN on Wanny as they currently appear to be?

My guess is that 11-5, three years in a row, would be very hard to criticize.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by J-E-T-S
Well, yes the 2 games would have made a huge difference, but that can be said for any team. The Jets lost on a last minute TD to KC, a blocked FG to CLE, a fumble inside the 20 down 7 to CHI, and a drive stalled at the 40 down 7 against OAK. They win 2 more games, it's the same thing. Just sticking with the Jets example, what about the 1-3 start with VInny? I know you guys always focus on Fiedler's absense, but the Jets were equally as bad with VInny, as the Fins with Lucas. Or how about if Curtis Martin doesn't injure his ankle in the 1st game? He was 2nd in the league in yards the year before, and if he is healthy, the Jets are a much different team.

Those are very good points; however, the Jets did win the division and a play-off game. If the Dolphins had won the division and a play-off game I don't think people would be ripping Wanny like they are.

Re: Ummm...

Originally posted by -81- McMichael

Well, yes... you are right... BUT... we're playing the WHAT IF game here.

NOTE to future posters:

"We are playing the WHAT IF game."

That is, if you really want to address the original question.

Otherwise, by all means... continue...

So, remember, IF we'd gone 11-5 last year... would people be AS DOWN on Wanny as they currently appear to be?

My guess is that 11-5, three years in a row, would be very hard to criticize.
11-5 three straight years would be great, but thats whats so shocking...back-to-back seasons of 11-5 with Lamar Smith, and 9-7 with Ricky...i'll play along with the "what if" game though...if you guys wouldve won the last 2 games like you shouldve, I believe you could have won the superbowl...The Bucs were susceptible to the run all year, and Ricky couldve hurt them...would of been a better superbowl no doubt, but it didnt happen...how's Bills-Eagles Superbowl sound this year:)

Would be close although your air game would be useless. I do think that Henry could carry your team. McNabb though would probably pick the Eagles up to maybe a 17-10 victory.

Back
Top Bottom