Justin Herbert signs- Will Tua make more next year? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Justin Herbert signs- Will Tua make more next year?

People are delusional when they have an agenda. 94 TD - 35 INT in 3 years.

Some of the comments are especially ridicilous, considering that the legend of OUR club, Dan Marino never won a SB. It took both Peyton Manning and Drew Brees 9 years to win one. All of those guys were pretty good IMO.

If Tua doesn't exist, and we have Herbert, everybody would talk about how he's the new Marino and we need to pay the man.

LMFAO. Stop comparing Herbert to Dan Marino and Peyton Manning. THAT is especially ridiculous. Neither were very adept at making crucial mistakes at the worst time and consistently stalling out in 2nd halves. Especially not 3 years into their careers.

If Herbert is lucky, he'll develop into a Drew Brees, who wasn't especially great early on but figured things out eventually. Herbert's been better statistically than Brees was 3 years in, but still makes the avoidable mistakes that contribute to his team's penchant for coming from ahead to lose.

People need to stop making excuses for Justin Herbert. The Chargers are essentially a .500 team during his tenure. That's not supposed to happen 3 years in with a "franchise" QB. Not with the offensive talent surrounding Herbert and the likes of Bosa, James and Mack on the defensive side of the ball.

Tua hasn’t done enough to warrant that type of contract

It can easily be argued that only 3-4 QB's on that list are worthy, or have done enough to warrant those contracts.

Mahomes for sure. Rodgers over his career, sure. And Josh Allen based upon his meteoric rise. But who else?

Lamar Jackson hasn't played like a QB worthy of 52M per the past 2 seasons. Same goes for Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray.

Deshaun Watson was a worthy QB, before his legal troubles and terrible 6 games last season.

And if people are questioning Tua not doing anything to warrant that type of contact, then how is Jalen Hurts justified? Like Tua, he's put up ONE super good season. And even then we're talking about 3700 yards and 22 passing TD's. I thought QB's were supposed to get paid for throwing the ball, not running it, which we all know is fools gold and not sustainable.

The Iggles had one of the best rosters top to bottom in the NFL last season. So it's not a complete surprise they advanced to the SB. How is the one good season from Hurts suddenly worth 51M? What happens if after an entire offseason of watching film, defenses around the league find a way to bring him back to earth like Colin Kaepernick and his SB run (also largely focused on his legs)?

Lastly, Matt Stafford, Dak Prescott, Daniel Jones and Derek Carr???? Give me a break. They haven't done enough to warrant those contracts either. But they got 'em.

Likely so will Tua, warranted or not. But at least if it happens it will be based upon TWO really good seasons, not just one.

I wonder how much these big QB contracts can unsettle a team.

Mahomes I get, teammates may settle for less for getting a ring.

But take NYG, Cleveland for example. These teams are nowhere close to getting a ring. Guys earning 1-5 million a year getting beat up to protect someone making 49-50 with no real hope of winning anything...

It can easily be argued that only 3-4 QB's on that list are worthy, or have done enough to warrant those contracts.

Mahomes for sure. Rodgers over his career, sure. And Josh Allen based upon his meteoric rise. But who else?

Lamar Jackson hasn't played like a QB worthy of 52M per the past 2 seasons. Same goes for Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray.

Deshaun Watson was a worthy QB, before his legal troubles and terrible 6 games last season.

I've always believed that there are quite a few guys out there that could be the next Brock Purdy if they're in the right system with the right supporting cast. But I don't think the majority of the league's front offices agree, and they're probably right. Look around the league and you've got the likes of Kenny Pickett, Desmond Ridder, and Sam Howell that are probably going to be lining up as starters.

To me that's what drives the market moreso than the performance of those few elites at the position. I'm glad Miami let Tannehill walk and think that for most of his time with the Titans he was overpaid. But at the same time he was at worst an average QB that always gave that team a chance if everything else fell into place.

If Tua puts up a season that's top 10 numbers wise and manages to make it through 17 games its going to be real hard to avoid writing that check.

This! Herbert absolutely earned this deal. If he was in a dolphins uniform, people would be comparing him to Dan. Tua has not played on his level to earn this type of deal. This year will determine whether or not he gets that money.
Only ppl who never saw Dan would make that comp.

Dan's release was 2 levels above, and his pocket awareness 4...........

Draft Day and 3 years later, the right choice is Herbert.

Sorry team ("if") Tua, it's the NFL.

Stay focused fan boy...or maybe not so much.

LMFAO. Stop comparing Herbert to Dan Marino and Peyton Manning. THAT is especially ridiculous. Neither were very adept at making crucial mistakes at the worst time and consistently stalling out in 2nd halves. Especially not 3 years into their careers.

If Herbert is lucky, he'll develop into a Drew Brees, who wasn't especially great early on but figured things out eventually. Herbert's been better statistically than Brees was 3 years in, but still makes the avoidable mistakes that contribute to his team's penchant for coming from ahead to lose.

People need to stop making excuses for Justin Herbert. The Chargers are essentially a .500 team during his tenure. That's not supposed to happen 3 years in with a "franchise" QB. Not with the offensive talent surrounding Herbert and the likes of Bosa, James and Mack on the defensive side of the ball.
Peyton Manning was 0-3 in his first 3 years in the playoffs with a total of 1 TD, 2 picks. He was also exactly .500 with Indy after 4 seasons, throwing 81 picks altogether in his first 4 regular seasons.

The numbers don't support your arguments. I'll leave it at that.

Peyton Manning was 0-3 in his first 3 years in the playoffs with a total of 1 TD, 2 picks. He was also exactly .500 with Indy after 4 seasons, throwing 81 picks altogether in his first 4 regular seasons.

The numbers don't support your arguments. I'll leave it at that.
Funny you brought up Manning. His first game in the NFL was at home vs. none other than the Miami Dolphins. This is year 3 under Jimmy and I'm expecting some bigger things (that never came). I watched for three hours that day. Manning had three picks, one wasn't this fault and we managed to win that day 24-15. I had one prevailing thought when the game was over - "Thank God they're moving to another division in 2002!". :)

If you think Herbert deserves this deal, then Tua does also.

Herbert has played in 13 more games then Tua. Yet only has 2 more wins overall then Tua. Herbert has 1 losing season, Tua has never. Had a losing record.

TDS- Herbert 94
Tua- 52

Ints- Herbert- 35
Tua- 23

Rating-Herbert- 96.2
Tua- 95

Completion % Herbert- 66.9
Tua- 65.7

YPA- Herbert 7.2
Tua- 7.4

YPC- Herbert- 10.7
Tua- 11.3

TD% Herbert 4.8%
Tua-4.8%

Int% Herbert- 1.8%
Tua- 2.1 %

Herbert obviously has the raw numbers with 13 more played games, but it's categorically false to claim Tua has not played on Herbert's level.

Last year alone, Tua was vastly superior in almost every metric.

Of course, claiming Herbert is not a good QB is not a wise opinion in my belief
But claiming Tua hasn't played at Herbert's level is equally not a wise opinion.

Fact is 1 QB has stayed the same and not progressed ( Herbert), where the other ( Tua) has improved and progressedevery season.

Of course, Herbert will make Chargers fans happy for Many years.

However, the trajectory implies Tua is the QB on the rise.

Of course, injuries not withstanding
Kind of my point, Tua has not played enough. How do you value a long term contract for a guy who misses several games, and critical ones at that?

He has to prove he can stay healthy and even then, does he get a Herbert deal? This year will tell a lot. If he stays healthy, he will get paid. If he doesn't, how do you invest that kind of money?

Only ppl who never saw Dan would make that comp.

Dan's release was 2 levels above, and his pocket awareness 4...........
I understand that. Trust me, I do, but if he was a dolphin, we'd be on cloud 9 as a fan base. The number comparing would be non stop.

He earned his deal and it's up to Tua to earn his.

View attachment 147604

That is 52.5 yearly and that would make it tough to keep other stars..... What does this mean for Tua and the Dolphins?

View attachment 147605

I believe after this year, Tua will be paid the highest salary in the entire NFL.
there are 5 players on that list that should be charged with fraud - Rogers, Wilson, Murray, Watson, Jones,

I wonder how much these big QB contracts can unsettle a team.

Mahomes I get, teammates may settle for less for getting a ring.

But take NYG, Cleveland for example. These teams are nowhere close to getting a ring. Guys earning 1-5 million a year getting beat up to protect someone making 49-50 with no real hope of winning anything...
I think at some point teams who are considered a free agent destination will just draft a QB every 5 years or so and load the roster with talent around him. Don’t pay a QB unless he’s top 3. Keep drafting until you get one.

Back
Top Bottom