KD's 53 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

KD's 53

As an aside, unpopular opinion time:

Matt Darr will underwhelm this season. I realize everyone loves him now, just as they loved Caleb Sturgis and wished Dan Carpenter a big adios once upon a time. But Darr was a mediocre college punter and Fields has been a stalwart for years in the NFL. Yes, Fields had a bad season. But he was one of the league's best punters before that. Ask yourself what's more likely, that a guy who's already demonstrated he can be an excellent punter will return to form or that a guy who's never been a great punter -- who was replaced as a starting punter in college as a junior -- will suddenly become one?

I realize punters are barely football players but this sort of last-thing-I-saw-is-the-only-thing-that-matters decision making annoys me. The fact that we did it once with a kicker and now with a punter makes me wonder if it's just that Darren Rizzi is a hyper-active man child overreacts to everything.

:lol: Rizzi sucks

But I think Fields was a direct result of next years cap. They like Darr, he's cheap and he performed well throughout camp and preseason. Fields was due 3.5 million next year, Darr makes less than 500K.

I felt this was coming next year, this year seems a bit premature, but I have to admit the guy has kicked well everytime I've seen him. He got a little frazzled on the botched snap and mi**** it . . . but he won't get many of those, if any, with Denney.

QB(2) - Tannehill/Moore
I understood giving Freeman a shot and MBT seems like a "system" guy . . . but pretty clear this is our QB setup this year
RB(4) - Miller/Williams/Ajayi/Gillislee
I think LeMike lost it on that fumble tonight combined with Jones resurgence on the returns and Gilly's strong running between the tackles.
WR(7) - Parker/Landry/Stills/Jennings/Matthews/Hazel/Jones
Yep, 7 guys here . . . Hazel will be inactive on Sundays but you in a sense stash him to have insurance against Matthews/Jennings leaving next year. Jones on returns
TE(3) - Cameron/Sims/Semisch
Wouldn't mind Semisch on the PS, but he's the best blocker of the remaining and the backup LS.
OL(8) - Albert/Thomas/Pouncey/Douglas/James/Turner/Fox/Brenner
The 8 most consistent guys . . . . the rest have been awful (well McClendon has been ok, but don't need another interior guy)
DL(9) - Wake/Mitchell/Suh/Vernon/Shelby/Phillips/Fede/Francis/Mosley
I think the toughest position to cut loose a guy. Francis has played the best . . . and I hate cutting loose Johnson but he's played third. We'll probably lose him.
LB(7) - Jenkins/Misi/Sheppard/McCain/Tripp/Vigil/Luc
The position needs love next year but ended up going with Luc over Paysinger on special teams . . . think you want that energy on the field somehow, someway.
CB(6) - Grimes/Taylor/McCain/McCain/Davis/Lippett
I thought Davis still needed to be kept around and tonight he showed his ability to make plays on the ball. With Taylor on the mend, I'm holding onto Davis for now. Bowman a tough cut
S(4) - Jones/Aikens/Thomas/Thompson
Delmas injury hurts the depth here so the rook will serve as the backup at SS . . . hopefully Reshad stays healthy, but Micheal Thomas also plays SS.
P(1) - Darr
So impressive tonight . . . I'm sure people will comment when he has a snafu in a real game, but he made the coaching staff/office look good tonight.
K(1) - Franks
The guy has done everything you've asked of him in preseason . . . Sturgis is inconsistent. And he can kick it deep. Roll the dice on the rook.
LS(1) - Denney
Guy has one bad snap in bad weather of a preseason and fans think we should cut ties . . . what a joke. Denney is a rock.

Inactives on Sundays: Matt Hazel, Billy Turner, Tony Lippett, CJ Mosley, Jay Ajayi, Zach Vigil, Bobby McCain
Hazel, Turner, Lippett are easy. Francis over Mosley because of special teams, Gills better in pass pro over Ajayi, Luc over Vigil on ST and other McCain over Bobby

Toughest Cuts: Zach Bowman, Anthony Johnson, Spencer Paysinger, Lemike James and Mike Hull
All 5 guys could easily be on the roster . . . but I left them out. Anthony probably the toughest one for me, would like to PS him but I doubt he makes it.

Practice Sqaud(10): Deandre Coleman, Mike Hull, Neville Hewitt, Damarr Aultman, Emmanuel Dieke, McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Cobi Hamilton, James Davidson, Aundrey Walker, Michael Liedtke
Good mix of OL and LBs along with some more young receiver/returner and Defensive tackle . . . keeping MBT on for now. Think they try to sneak Johnson and he gets claimed.

Good work here.

The only real disagreement I have is in jettisoning Johnson at DT. I get that the vet presence is desirable, but in such situations, you always choose upside. And Johnson seems to have more upside (between him and Mosley).

Also, I'm never in favor of keeping players that can be replaced easily from waiver wires. Keep a player at a different position that rates higher in upside, then scour the wires per need.

LD

Don't see us keeping Gills. Hasn't shown anything really and been here long enough, JTrain is his replacement.

Ajayi will be active on Gameday, he's gonna leapfrog Williams this year.

I would replace Gills with AJ or maybe Paysinger. I agree otherwise.

Excellent analysis KD.

I have only slight other thoughts, but essentially you nailed it. Here are my differing thoughts.
Gillis Lee will not make the team. I think we roll with 3 RB's or make LaMike James the 4th if we us 4.

I think we will only use 6 WR with Jones missing out.

At TE I think Stoneburner makes the Practice Squad.

Our OL isn't set. I think we carry 9 but the 9th guy is not on the roster yet.

DL looks good, but I'd expect Anthony Johnson to be put on IR.

At LB, I don't see Luc making it. We may keep Hull but likely let all 3 of the rookie LB's go to the Practice squad attrition being allowable because of depth. Vigil is the only UDFA to make the team.

I expect 7 CB's. Davis probably does not make it but we may add someone.

At S I'm guessing we keep Don Jones if he is healthy. If not we will likely keep Paysinger at LB for special teams. This is where the last LB comes from, but I have no idea which one it will be. I doubt Thompson makes the team, but he will make the Practice Squad.

Honestly, I think your predicted roster is by far the best I've seen. But we typically add a couple players after final cuts. We could use IR to stash guys like Anthony Johnson, Will Davis, and Jason Fox.

Good effort KD. However, Hull is probably well ahead of Luc (granted Luc has a build to physically intimidate). I think LaMike James is still ahead of Gillislee (but it's close). Christion Jones and Semisch get parked on the Practice Squad. Semisch at 6'8" is an interesting development prospect, but he looks slow and very raw. Stoneburner has outperformed him as a TE, but we may be looking for our #3 from another team. Lippett is no certainty to make the final roster either.

I really hope we keep Christion Jones. If we do, he will score on at least one return for us this year.

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 AM ----------

And I really like what I've seen from Matt Hazel. We need to keep him, as I think he can be a good WR in this league.

I think the only way Jones makes it is i one of the top six (Landry, Parker, Jennings, Matthews, Stills and Hazel) gets traded. I just can't see seven receivers on the roster, with six being active on Sunday.

More than last night's game will be taken into consideration when making these decisions. I don't think Gillislee or Jones make the cut. Not so sure about Luc either.

I think Gillislee has improved and deserves to be a reserve on an NFL roster, I'm just not sure it's going to be in Miami. He's one of those players that I'm ok if he stays, but if he goes I'll wish him luck and move on without a ton of remorse.

Don't see us keeping Gills. Hasn't shown anything really and been here long enough, JTrain is his replacement.

Ajayi will be active on Gameday, he's gonna leapfrog Williams this year.

I would replace Gills with AJ or maybe Paysinger. I agree otherwise.

Problem with Ajayi is in pass protection . . . he is well behind Miller/Williams in that area . . . and Gillislee for that matter. He did run well last night . . . but hard to imagine they trust him enough to put him in a situation to protect Ryan. Plus I don't have much faith in Ajayi to be healthy right now as he already has 2 injuries this camp and he's barely played. He certainly can play his way onto the gameday roster.

Excellent analysis KD.

I have only slight other thoughts, but essentially you nailed it. Here are my differing thoughts.
Gillis Lee will not make the team. I think we roll with 3 RB's or make LaMike James the 4th if we us 4.

I think we will only use 6 WR with Jones missing out.

At TE I think Stoneburner makes the Practice Squad.

Our OL isn't set. I think we carry 9 but the 9th guy is not on the roster yet.

DL looks good, but I'd expect Anthony Johnson to be put on IR.

At LB, I don't see Luc making it. We may keep Hull but likely let all 3 of the rookie LB's go to the Practice squad attrition being allowable because of depth. Vigil is the only UDFA to make the team.

I expect 7 CB's. Davis probably does not make it but we may add someone.

At S I'm guessing we keep Don Jones if he is healthy. If not we will likely keep Paysinger at LB for special teams. This is where the last LB comes from, but I have no idea which one it will be. I doubt Thompson makes the team, but he will make the Practice Squad.

Honestly, I think your predicted roster is by far the best I've seen. But we typically add a couple players after final cuts. We could use IR to stash guys like Anthony Johnson, Will Davis, and Jason Fox.

Fully agree on final cuts . . . but figure I put 53 out there from our group. I do think it's asking a lot to get an offensive lineman off waivers and put him on the roster and think he'll be better than guys who have worked in the system all offseason . . . but it would be nice. Also agree on TE.

I feel like I haven't seen Don Jones play at all and he's been hurt . . . maybe his position is secure? Anthony Johnson got hurt? Gotta think that kid knows he can play on a roster.

I really hope we keep Christion Jones. If we do, he will score on at least one return for us this year.

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 AM ----------

And I really like what I've seen from Matt Hazel. We need to keep him, as I think he can be a good WR in this league.

Yea . . . I know 7 WRs seems unorthodox . . . but go against the grain a little and keep the best returner and stash the guy you've developed with Ryan Tannehill.

I agree with your list up to 52 guys. I kept thinking same as you last night. You cannot cut Hazel, and the way James muffed that punt and as good as Jones looked running back kicks I think I keep 7 WR's. Too much talent at the position not to. The only player I disagree with you on is Lippett over Bowman. I don't think Lippett has shown near enough that anyone would sign him to their 53, and I think we can sneak him through to the practice squad. I'd rather have Bowman's experience and special teams acumen on the squad. Only other possible change I make is Paysinger over Luc, but Luc did look pretty good on Special Teams last night, and that is all Paysinger is good for. Good stuff KDawg.

I agree with your list up to 52 guys. I kept thinking same as you last night. You cannot cut Hazel, and the way James muffed that punt and as good as Jones looked running back kicks I think I keep 7 WR's. Too much talent at the position not to. The only player I disagree with you on is Lippett over Bowman. I don't think Lippett has shown near enough that anyone would sign him to their 53, and I think we can sneak him through to the practice squad. I'd rather have Bowman's experience and special teams acumen on the squad. Only other possible change I make is Paysinger over Luc, but Luc did look pretty good on Special Teams last night, and that is all Paysinger is good for. Good stuff KDawg.

Yep, can't argue that . . . Bowman is better on special teams and a better CB right now than Lippet . . . pretty much settled on him as a stash and develop guy, but Bowman would make an impact and be active if kept.

Back
Top Bottom