Kentucky job reportedly Donovan’s for taking | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kentucky job reportedly Donovan’s for taking

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Wildcat school officials to offer Gators coach at least $1 million raise

Billy Donovan is 259-104 in 11 years at Florida.

Kentucky is coming for Billy Donovan. And school officials are bringing lots of money.

The school is prepared to offer Donovan the head coaching job with an annual raise of more than $1 million, ESPN.com reported on Friday. An offer could come as early as next week or as soon as Florida is eliminated from the NCAA Tournament.

Florida, seeking to become the first team to win consecutive national titles since Duke in 1991 and 1992, plays UCLA in a national semifinal Saturday night.

ESPN reported that the contract will be a seven-year deal worth at least $2.8 million a season and as much as $3.5 million with performance-based incentives.

Donovan has declined to comment on the Kentucky job.

"I don't even have my phone .. I don't talk to anybody," Donovan said at a news conference at the Final Four on Friday afternoon.

After this season, Donovan has five years remaining on his contract with Florida, which pays him about $1.8 million per season. Donovan and his agents have been in negotiations with Florida athletics director Jeremy Foley for nearly a year. The two sides haven't yet reached a contract extension, but Florida was already prepared to pay Donovan at least $2.5 million per season before the Kentucky job opened, ESPN reported.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17791283/

He won't leave Florida. Besides if he does leave Florida it won't be because of money. That and next year I would rather have Florida's team anyway

He won't leave Florida. Besides if he does leave Florida it won't be because of money. That and next year I would rather have Florida's team anyway

you know with the history you got of coaching moves in the teams you like... I would not be so sure about that one... :(

you know with the history you got of coaching moves in the teams you like... I would not be so sure about that one... :(

Dolphins and Gators are alot different. Gators have everything they need to get Billy to come back

Here's the bigger question: why did Tubby Smith leave for Minnesota in the first place? I mean, unless he felt guilty about running one of the most storied hoops programs in the country into the ground and thought he owed it to Kentucky fans.

Skeet22 said:

I'll take "Things Kansas fans said about Roy Williams" for $200, Alex.

Here's the bigger question: why did Tubby Smith leave for Minnesota in the first place? I mean, unless he felt guilty about running one of the most storied hoops programs in the country into the ground and thought he owed it to Kentucky fans.

different situations though IMO. I don't know if Donovan will leave or not.

I won't say recruiting classes will play a big deal, because Calathas (sp?) has already said he will commit to whatever school Donovan commits to, and Patterson will probably commit to Donovan as well.

I'm more concerned about Billy leaving for the Heat job. I've been hearing about that a lot lately. I don't buy the Kentucky job either, Skeet. Billy's having no problems recruiting at Florida. I also think Donovan's ties to UK are over blown. Also, a move to Kentucky would be a slap in the face to Jeremy Foley, not to mention it would put him in direct competition with his mentor, Petino. UF will never be a basketball school, but that isn't preventing Donovan from getting all the perks that a "basketball school" HC gets.

Ummm Considering that Florida has alot, more money than North Carolina, Kansas, and Kentucky I will go by my previous statement and say that the Gators won't lose him because of money. Jeremy Foley will get the job done

Tubby Smith did not run UK into the ground they just expect way too much from Kentucky basketball.

I'm more concerned about Billy leaving for the Heat job. I've been hearing about that a lot lately. I don't buy the Kentucky job either, Skeet. Billy's having no problems recruiting at Florida. I also think Donovan's ties to UK are over blown. Also, a move to Kentucky would be a slap in the face to Jeremy Foley, not to mention it would put him in direct competition with his mentor, Petino. UF will never be a basketball school, but that isn't preventing Donovan from getting all the perks that a "basketball school" HC gets.

If he leaves for the Heat that is fine because he wants to see if he can do it on the big stage.

Ummm Considering that Florida has alot, more money than North Carolina, Kansas, and Kentucky I will go by my previous statement and say that the Gators won't lose him because of money. Jeremy Foley will get the job done

Tubby Smith did not run UK into the ground they just expect way too much from Kentucky basketball.[/quote]

Tubby may not of run the program into the ground but not signing a top 50 recruit before he left is not acceptable at Kentucky. I've said it in other threads but Tubby is as good of an X and O guy as their is in college basketball. Though i'll go to the Mark May special "it's not about the x's and o's it's about the Jimmys and Joes." Kentucky has what Jay Bilas called the "best facility" in college basketball just put in. It is Donovan's job if he wants it and it is a better job than Florida because of the tradition. I heard something on PTI that Calipari wasn't interested but i'll wait to see more after the season runs out. IMO it's going to end up Donovan/Calipari/Crean. Just going on what I heard today so this may not be right but Tubby was the highest paid coach in college basketball and is getting something like 1.4 million eventhough he's leaving. Kentucky will offer more money. I've listened to coaches comment on how Tubby got a raw deal though I disagree. Tubby took over what was the premiere program in college basketball and went to four final fours' in 7 seasons, one with him and since has been a dissapointment. The best comparision I could make is let's say Roy Williams does not go to another final 4 in the next 7 seasons. I gurantee UNC fan is on his case. It's Donovan's job but if he turns it down and Kentucky can get Calipari I think it's a better hire.

He's gone.

If he wasn't going then he would just come out and say I'm staying at Florida. Only way he doesn't go is if he rapes Florida into giving him a huge raise! And then even if he stays the school will resent him forever. So, I expect him to be gone.

He's gone.

If he wasn't going then he would just come out and say I'm staying at Florida. Only way he doesn't go is if he rapes Florida into giving him a huge raise! And then even if he stays the school will resent him forever. So, I expect him to be gone.

Sounds like it. Though I think Kentucky will still give him more money. Also if he gets a raise it probably leads to Urban Meyer getting some more $.

Tubby Smith did not run UK into the ground they just expect way too much from Kentucky basketball.
Kentucky basketball = Alabama football as far as expectations go.

ChambersWI said:
different situations though IMO. I don't know if Donovan will leave or not.

School with oodles of tradition and a huge, rabid fan base frustrated with recent underachievement offers up a massive pile of money for a well-regarded coach whose team is currently in the Final Four. Sounds to me like the names are different...and not much else.

If we were talking about a football coach, I'd agree. But when it comes to hoops, money is no object for UK. Kentucky will offer more than Florida. They'll castrate the rest of their athletic budget and risk a Title IX lawsuit if they have to. Guaranteed. It's simply a matter of whether Donovan is going to make a sharp departure from normal human nature and turn down more money to stay where he is. Maybe he's that kind of guy, I don't know. 11 years at one school is a long time. My initial reaction is just like MikeO's: if he didn't come out and deny it immediately, he might well be a goner.

By the standards of other programs, you're right: Smith did a fine job. But he never made a Final Four without Rick Pitino's players, and lost in the second round 2 straight years. His recruiting was slipping badly, and he's never been much of an in-game coach to begin with. This year, the Wildcats were considered a bubble team for awhile, which is just unacceptable at UK. The standard for success is much higher, just like it is at UNC, Duke, Kansas and UCLA. Honestly, I think Smith was the Larry Coker of Kentucky hoops...he just left before he got the chance to be run out of town.

He's gone.

No thats not true about Florida giving him a raise. Florida was going to give him a raise after last year, but he turned it down because of the Oh Fours coming back. He is gunna get a huge raise from Florida no matter what. Money will not be a factor if he leave.

Back
Top Bottom