Kentucky job reportedly Donovan’s for taking | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kentucky job reportedly Donovan’s for taking

Ummm Considering that Florida has alot, more money than North Carolina, Kansas, and Kentucky I will go by my previous statement and say that the Gators won't lose him because of money. Jeremy Foley will get the job done

Tubby Smith did not run UK into the ground they just expect way too much from Kentucky basketball.[/quote]

Tubby may not of run the program into the ground but not signing a top 50 recruit before he left is not acceptable at Kentucky. I've said it in other threads but Tubby is as good of an X and O guy as their is in college basketball. Though i'll go to the Mark May special "it's not about the x's and o's it's about the Jimmys and Joes." Kentucky has what Jay Bilas called the "best facility" in college basketball just put in. It is Donovan's job if he wants it and it is a better job than Florida because of the tradition. I heard something on PTI that Calipari wasn't interested but i'll wait to see more after the season runs out. IMO it's going to end up Donovan/Calipari/Crean. Just going on what I heard today so this may not be right but Tubby was the highest paid coach in college basketball and is getting something like 1.4 million eventhough he's leaving. Kentucky will offer more money. I've listened to coaches comment on how Tubby got a raw deal though I disagree. Tubby took over what was the premiere program in college basketball and went to four final fours' in 7 seasons, one with him and since has been a dissapointment. The best comparision I could make is let's say Roy Williams does not go to another final 4 in the next 7 seasons. I gurantee UNC fan is on his case. It's Donovan's job but if he turns it down and Kentucky can get Calipari I think it's a better hire.

No that not true. Coach K and Roy Williams make like 3 mil a year.

Wildcat school officials to offer Gators coach at least $1 million raise

[URL]http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/070326/070326_donovan_hmed_10p.h2.jpg[/URL]
Billy Donovan is 259-104 in 11 years at Florida.

Kentucky is coming for Billy Donovan. And school officials are bringing lots of money.

The school is prepared to offer Donovan the head coaching job with an annual raise of more than $1 million, ESPN.com reported on Friday. An offer could come as early as next week or as soon as Florida is eliminated from the NCAA Tournament.

Florida, seeking to become the first team to win consecutive national titles since Duke in 1991 and 1992, plays UCLA in a national semifinal Saturday night.

ESPN reported that the contract will be a seven-year deal worth at least $2.8 million a season and as much as $3.5 million with performance-based incentives.

Donovan has declined to comment on the Kentucky job.

"I don't even have my phone .. I don't talk to anybody," Donovan said at a news conference at the Final Four on Friday afternoon.

After this season, Donovan has five years remaining on his contract with Florida, which pays him about $1.8 million per season. Donovan and his agents have been in negotiations with Florida athletics director Jeremy Foley for nearly a year. The two sides haven't yet reached a contract extension, but Florida was already prepared to pay Donovan at least $2.5 million per season before the Kentucky job opened, ESPN reported.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17791283/

I heard Florida is ready to give Billy the Kid the same money they are giving Urban Meyer. I think he stays with Florida.

No that not true. Coach K and Roy Williams make like 3 mil a year.

Tubby was the highest paid college bball coach by a decent margin. If the rumors floated around by these journalists have any basis in reality Donovan is being offered twice what Williams and Krzyzewski get paid.

Tubby was the highest paid college bball coach by a decent margin. If the rumors floated around by these journalists have any basis in reality Donovan is being offered twice what Williams and Krzyzewski get paid.

Tubby not the highest paid coach!!!!!

The Following came from the article below-

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2819224

Regardless if Donovan stays at Florida or leaves for Kentucky, he figures to become one of the five highest-paid coaches in the country. Duke's Mike Krzyzewski and North Carolina's Roy Williams each earn close to $3 million per season, and Michigan State's Tom Izzo is paid about $2.6 million annually, according to industry sources.

The following is from his contract-

http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2003/0418/1541050.html

Smith will get $1.55 million for endorsements and appearances in the first year of the contract. That figure will gradually rise to $2.175 million for 2010-11.

This isn't about the money at all. If Donovan leaves, it is because of the lack of fan support in florida. The Gators have a gym that holds around 12,000 fans and they can't sell it out for a non-conference game b/c everyone is so involved in the football season. From what I've heard, Florida sent back tickets for the Regional Final b/c they couldn't sell them all. UK has 24,000 show up just for practice (Big Blue Madness). Unless Donovan enjoys being the shadow, he is out of there. No National Championship team deserves that lukewarm support.

No, But he has his legacy here at Florida and het gets everything he wants and needs. Plus Kentucky never got all those fans over night. Florida will get more and more fans as time goes on.

No, But he has his legacy here at Florida and het gets everything he wants and needs. Plus Kentucky never got all those fans over night. Florida will get more and more fans as time goes on.

How many championships and final fours do you need to fill a 12,000 seat gym when you have 40,000 kids on campus? That's just pathetic. Plus, he may get everything he "needs" at Florida, but at Kentucky he will be a rockstar. I have been to several UK football games where tubby chants have taken over the entire crowd simply b/c one section saw him walk by. That's never going to happen at Florida.

Sounds like it. Though I think Kentucky will still give him more money. Also if he gets a raise it probably leads to Urban Meyer getting some more $.

Urban is already in line for a raise based off of last season. Donovan turned down a raise after last year and told the AD that he wanted to wait til after this season to earn it.

Regardless if Donovan stays at Florida or leaves for Kentucky, he figures to become one of the five highest-paid coaches in the country. Duke's Mike Krzyzewski and North Carolina's Roy Williams each earn close to $3 million per season, and Michigan State's Tom Izzo is paid about $2.6 million annually, according to industry sources.

Smith will get $1.55 million for endorsements and appearances in the first year of the contract. That figure will gradually rise to $2.175 million for 2010-11.

Serves you right for believing ESPN. You don't need to rely on any sources....UNC is a public institution and must publish the salaries of all its employees. Roy revieces a salary of 260k from the university, 347k from Tar Heel sports marketing for tv appearances, 500k from nike, and a variable amount from the Rams Club anywhere from 500-750k.

Plus his annual salary and the 1.5 million bonus that Kentucky is paying him. So he earned over $3 mil.

I'd stay with Florida. This isn't your fathers Kentucky Basketball team. This is a basketball program with a lot of problems right now, not nearly as successful as Louisville in recent years and thats their main state rival. Florida is a team of the future in collegiate athletics.

Kentucky is one of the Top 5 jobs in all of college hoops. If its offered to you (and for more money) you must take it.

It's like Alabama football. You just don't turn down some offers.

Kentucky is one of the Top 5 jobs in all of college hoops. If its offered to you (and for more money) you must take it.

It's like Alabama football. You just don't turn down some offers.

Well when it comes to such programs like Alabama and than you do turn them down if you are Rich Rodriguez! Kentucky is not what it use to be,

I'd stay with Florida. This isn't your fathers Kentucky Basketball team. This is a basketball program with a lot of problems right now, not nearly as successful as Louisville in recent years and thats their main state rival. Florida is a team of the future in collegiate athletics.

What are you talking about? Louisville was in the NIT last year and landed a whopping second round exit this year. On top of that, UK has beat Louisville several years in a row now. You guys are acting like Kentucky has the worst team ever now, but we still have the most consecutive tourney seeds and a fairly solid team. Florida fans have two years of great basketball (mainly b/c of one recruiting class) and they consider themselves a dynasty. Unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom