Kenyan Drake - What's His Ceiling? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kenyan Drake - What's His Ceiling?

Murray, at least in Dallas started to run with some serious power and would just run over defenders.
Drake doesn't have that yet, but he still is quite young.
I do like the comparison though.
I think that is a result of (1) murray adding about 10 lbs; and (2) adjusting his frame of mind. Early Murray used to try to run around people, much like Drake does, but he later learned to try to run through people and finish off runs. I'm sort of conflicted on whether I want to see Drake gain that mentality. It's fun to watch, but for high usage backs, I think it limits the length of their careers. Murray broke down pretty quickly and I think Drake will do the same if he's constantly taking big hits.

Last edited:

I have a raging boner watching this highlight reel. He's so explosive. The jump cuts making people miss in the back field, great vision, excellent pass catcher. I think he's our best offensive player. One of the main reasons I'm excited to watch us play this season.

What's his ceiling? Who does he remind you of?

A raging boner? :confused

This season cannot start soon enough.:facepalm

I think that is a result of (1) murray adding about 10 lbs; and (2) adjusting his frame of mind. Early Murray used to try to run around people, much like Drake does, but he later learned to try to run through people and finish off runs. I'm sort of conflicted on whether I want to see Drake gain that mentality. It's fun to watch, but for high usage backs, I think it limits the length of their careers. Murray broke down pretty quickly and I think Drake will do the same if he's constantly taking big hits.

Didn't Ricky W try to shed pounds and his muscular frame some to add more speed and try to lengthen his career. of course his decision making could always have been "cloudy"

Didn't Ricky W try to shed pounds and his muscular frame some to add more speed and try to lengthen his career. of course his decision making could always have been "cloudy"
Maybe...I think there is a fine line as to how much weight a player should be carrying. Too much weight and its hard on their joints, ligaments, etc. Too little weight and they get beaten upon and injured. Type of weight matters too...lean muscle is generally better than bulk.

Dallas rode Murray to the ground in 2014. 392 carries and 57 catches in one year.
Definitely shortened his career with that workload and the way he would want to punish the defense every snap.
Yea, long term, the bruising back has a shorter lifespan, especially when they suffer a handful of injuries over their career.

As for his ceiling, I think it's a pro bowler. Especially with this offense. RT will dump the ball to him many times and I see him catching (probably) more balls than any other runner in the league. If he shines in this role earlier, Gase will make plays for that later.

Dallas rode Murray to the ground in 2014. 392 carries and 57 catches in one year.
Definitely shortened his career with that workload and the way he would want to punish the defense every snap.
Yea, long term, the bruising back has a shorter lifespan, especially when they suffer a handful of injuries over their career.

Definitely road him into the ground. That said, Walter Payton went over 300 carries in a season 10 times, with his peak at 381. Emmitt Smith did it 7 times, with 4 years over 365, and in those seasons he caught on avg. 60 passes. Eddie George had 8 seasons over 300 with a peak at 403. Sanders did it 7 times. I just think some body types can just take more punishment than others. I don't see Drake as a guy who can take the wear and tear.

he does run similar to Murry but he is way more jukey and explosive. paid for with a little bit less strength and power

Executed his signature spin move for a thirty plus yarder last nite, displays a hi level of talent doing so.

Back
Top Bottom